[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1823 posts
303 upvotes

Bathroom Temp Fix - Pic attached

pictures in next post.
I have bought an old home from 70s
Wife and I are on same page that this bathroom needs renovation. Just that we are new to all this and I believe in putting big money only after some research gaining knowledge etc , the time that I do not have right now.
IN the meanwhile, I need to make this bathroom functional. Toilet is POS so I am buying a new one and getting this replaced.
I need advise for a temp fix for shower. I do not know how they took shower in this as the shower head is half way at your hip level and not top at your head level. May be they were using other shower in the basement which is currently serving our need.

What is your view on putting an IKEA brogrund rail with shower head as a temp fix, will it connect to the existing pipe where the current shower is attached?

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/brogrund-r ... -50342628/

What about the tiles? Can I attach some more tiles to increase the height? is it possible?
I know all this is going to be throw away but I can take decision of bathroom renovation ( might easily take 10 or so thousands) hastily.

so I am looking at $90+ taxes for this shower head. may be I can DIY or ask plumber to put this shower for me. Can some of you please advise how much the tiles will cost and how much for installation. Tiles mismatch is no concern.
Last edited by CocoJambo on Jan 4th, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2830 posts
974 upvotes
Hold the head to wet your body, the turn water off to soap up. Turn water back on to rinse. Repeat. This is pretty standard in asia and europe, its only in NA thar we are so wasteful.

You could do with a longer cord though, that i agree. Minimize your cost and get a longer cord and new head, until you gut and renovate.

Then back to NA standards. I also have water running all time, but put in adjustable valves where i cant adjust the flow rate. Every little bit helps.

Did that home have elders, possibly showered while on a seat in the tub.

:)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1823 posts
303 upvotes
But you see that tiles are not very high. Those are about an inch below shoulder . Will the walls not get wet? How do I deal with that?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2102 posts
1141 upvotes
GTA
Your bathroom was like ours before we renovated the house. That toilet flushed like 22L of water on each flush (5 gallon tank). We had similar ones - pink and green. Does the hose unscrew from the connection on the wall?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1811 posts
1398 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Thats not a shower, that's a bidet. lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1823 posts
303 upvotes
ZxExN wrote: Thats not a shower, that's a bidet. lol
Lol very well it might be . That's why we are not using it as a shower. Elderly couple were using it for not sure what. Why would they put a bathtub for that ...lol
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5647 posts
1852 upvotes
Kanata
Guess it depends on how long you're going to take to renovate. If a month, maybe you can tape/glue/screw a shower liner above the tile and cut it off so it doesn't go all the way down. I wouldn't necessarily spend money/time/DIY to attach vertical tiles. If it's 6m then maybe a more temporary solution is required.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16615 posts
11355 upvotes
Markham
CocoJambo wrote: pictures in next post.
I have bought an old home from 70s
Wife and I are on same page that this bathroom needs renovation. Just that we are new to all this and I believe in putting big money only after some research gaining knowledge etc , the time that I do not have right now.
IN the meanwhile, I need to make this bathroom functional. Toilet is POS so I am buying a new one and getting this replaced.
I need advise for a temp fix for shower. I do not know how they took shower in this as the shower head is half way at your hip level and not top at your head level. May be they were using other shower in the basement which is currently serving our need.

What is your view on putting an IKEA brogrund rail with shower head as a temp fix, will it connect to the existing pipe where the current shower is attached?

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/brogrund-r ... -50342628/

What about the tiles? Can I attach some more tiles to increase the height? is it possible?
I know all this is going to be throw away but I can take decision of bathroom renovation ( might easily take 10 or so thousands) hastily.

so I am looking at $90+ taxes for this shower head. may be I can DIY or ask plumber to put this shower for me. Can some of you please advise how much the tiles will cost and how much for installation. Tiles mismatch is no concern.
Buy toilet from Costco and install it yourself - not difficult. Buy the one your want because it can be reused in a new reno.

Get a curved shower curtain rod and replace the straight one. Cheap and will give you more space.
https://www.linenchest.com/en_ca/curved ... 9MEALw_wcB

You can install that IKEA brogrund rail with shower head as a temp fix. It should be high enough if it's shoulder height. Most water will fall down due to gravity.

Alternatively, look for the head you really want and can reuse when you do renovate. This one can be raised higher than shoulder height and because it extends into the basin away from the front wall, there will be less splatter onto the walls.

https://www.wayfair.ca/American-Standar ... dREALw_wcB

If you want to ensure splatter doesn't hurt non tiled area, you could install tile or perhaps cheaper/faster/easier to glue cut to size "acrylic wall panels" above the tile height. Silicone the seam and it should be fine.

Paint that door white.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1823 posts
303 upvotes
^ Thanks for suggestions. I have changed the rid to be a curved one.
I think ikea shower head will be safe bet as temp fix. Any better head like the one you mentioned might need more plumbing and might even want us to delay our reno or may be that is a good way to look at it. Is wayfair.ca a legit site to order from?
I am interested in knowing about acrylic wall panels that you mentioned. Will see in home depot what I can get.

It seems like the front side is not really a wall that is why you see a section where the faucet and the controller is , you see a step kind of thing where the measuring cups are. Plumber was mentioning that in reno, we can have that space if we shift the input pipes etc to the opposite side as that is a wall and he can hide pipe in there. if we want to keep the pipe on same side then he will need to use that space to take the pipe up for shower head.
The shower head from way fair that you mentioned , it is all outside, I mean nothing is hidden so that can solve that issue as well. there is already less space and we dont want to lose that space. problem is whether that side of dry wall will be able to take load of the rail of the shower that you suggested or even the ikea one. Also there is no shower outlet at the top so I will have to see where will your suggested shower fit. Ikea one can go to existing hand shower outlet

Thanks
Last edited by CocoJambo on Jan 6th, 2022 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4921 posts
1451 upvotes
Richmond Hill
My aunt has a similar style bathroom in Montreal. We don't take showers standing up. It's either kneeling or sitting holding the shower head.

If I were you, and I wanted a standing shower, I would:
- raise the shower head mount to head level. Glue a cheap mount:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/glacie ... 1000511590
- to address splash above the existing tiles, use vinyl wallpaper. Just make sure to caulk the seam well. I wouldn't spend any money on extra tile work.
https://www.amazon.ca/Arthome-Decorativ ... B077VM9S9Q
$20 + $20 = $40.

Since this hack is not waterproof in anyway (just "resistant" some what) because you're backing onto drywall, I would refrain from any long steamy showers.
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)