• Jul 21st, 2021 6:04 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
4237 posts
1821 upvotes
, ON

Bathroom tiles installer here?

Question to professional bathroom installers:
Is it true that the cost to install or labor requirement is varied between 12x24 tiles vs 24x24 tiles?

My contractor is telling me that I will pay more if I go with 24x24 tiles. I supply my own tiles.
22 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
Depends on the tiler. My guy does it by the area to tile, but I've had others make reference to tile size in their quotes.

You would think that the bigger the tile, it would be quicker for installation ( less tiles) but nah....

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
4237 posts
1821 upvotes
, ON
Hugh Jass wrote: Depends on the tiler. My guy does it by the area to tile, but I've had others make reference to tile size in their quotes.

You would think that the bigger the tile, it would be quicker for installation ( less tiles) but nah....
So how is it that bigger tiles are not quicker or the same amount of time to install? Why bigger tiles are more complicated or harder to install on the floor? Just trying to understand.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
anotherbargainhunter wrote: So how is it that bigger tiles are not quicker or the same amount of time to install? Why bigger tiles are more complicated or harder to install on the floor? Just trying to understand.
They must be harder to work with, tougher to get straight. I don't actually know. Buddy of mine used to be a tiler, does the odd job here and there, did a great job for me with natural stone backsplash, but when I asked him would he be interested in doing my washroom, 24x48 tiles, he said no way, hates them. This led me to a recommendation for the guy we ended up using, and have done a few times since, and he didn't care about the size of the tiles at all, just the size of the area to be tiled.

What did your contractor say when you asked him why there's a different price?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2016
1158 posts
655 upvotes
My uneducated understanding is larger tiles are generally more prone to be not flat. It's a challenge to prevent lippage and needs higher accuracy in thinset, planning of the job etc.

Are you able to find a tile setter? I am finding it hard for someone to give me estimate even.. LoL.

CD
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
Canadadesi wrote: My uneducated understanding is larger tiles are generally more prone to be not flat. It's a challenge to prevent lippage and needs higher accuracy in thinset, planning of the job etc.

Are you able to find a tile setter? I am finding it hard for someone to give me estimate even.. LoL.
Where are you? My guy lives in Mississauga if that's any use. I don't recommend anybody lightly, but he's great at his trade. PM if you need his details.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
4237 posts
1821 upvotes
, ON
Hugh Jass wrote: They must be harder to work with, tougher to get straight. I don't actually know. Buddy of mine used to be a tiler, does the odd job here and there, did a great job for me with natural stone backsplash, but when I asked him would he be interested in doing my washroom, 24x48 tiles, he said no way, hates them. This led me to a recommendation for the guy we ended up using, and have done a few times since, and he didn't care about the size of the tiles at all, just the size of the area to be tiled.

What did your contractor say when you asked him why there's a different price?
They said it is more labour. Thats it.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
4237 posts
1821 upvotes
, ON
Hugh Jass wrote: Where are you? My guy lives in Mississauga if that's any use. I don't recommend anybody lightly, but he's great at his trade. PM if you need his details.
They quoted for $1000 with 12”x24” tiles, or $800 if I supply my own tiles. Room size 9’ x 6’
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2016
1158 posts
655 upvotes
Thank you for the offer.
I will PM you.
Much appreciated.

CD
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
anotherbargainhunter wrote: They quoted for $1000 with 12”x24” tiles, or $800 if I supply my own tiles. Room size 9’ x 6’
How much of that 9x6 is tiles?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5644 upvotes
anotherbargainhunter wrote: They quoted for $1000 with 12”x24” tiles, or $800 if I supply my own tiles. Room size 9’ x 6’
$800 for a multi day job isn't terrible these days. Actually, for a small job I think you're likely getting a pretty good deal.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1714 posts
719 upvotes
Vancouver
Try lifting a 36 x 36 porcelain tile.

It is so heavy, and it requires myself and my wife to lift that.

I built a shed using concrete paver, and i purposely choose 12x12 paver as it is easier to move and install
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
2789 posts
3289 upvotes
Same experience here. My tiler hated working with our larger tiles since they are a PITA to move around. I thought a large format would be easier/cheaper but it turns out the opposite is true in practice. They can crank out things like subway tile or standard-sized tiles like nothing, but large format tiles, and on the wall? FFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Also, if you are redoing your bathroom flooring, try to get the tiler to match the height of the flooring in your hallway. That way, you won't have to deal with a transition strip.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
4237 posts
1821 upvotes
, ON
Toukolou wrote: $800 for a multi day job isn't terrible these days. Actually, for a small job I think you're likely getting a pretty good deal.
It is a big job. I am finishing my basement and the washroom is part of it. They already include waterproof vinyl floor the same as the rest of the basement in the price. That price that they gave me is if I want tiles instead of the vinyl.
Fantastical wrote: Try lifting a 36 x 36 porcelain tile.

It is so heavy, and it requires myself and my wife to lift that.

I built a shed using concrete paver, and i purposely choose 12x12 paver as it is easier to move and install
The tile that I prefer is 24x24. They only include tiles up to 12x24 for the price they quoted me.
Alpine84 wrote: Same experience here. My tiler hated working with our larger tiles since they are a PITA to move around. I thought a large format would be easier/cheaper but it turns out the opposite is true in practice. They can crank out things like subway tile or standard-sized tiles like nothing, but large format tiles, and on the wall? FFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Also, if you are redoing your bathroom flooring, try to get the tiler to match the height of the flooring in your hallway. That way, you won't have to deal with a transition strip.
This is for floor and not for wall in my washroom.
No tile flooring in hallway. The rest are vinyl floor.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Canadadesi wrote: My uneducated understanding is larger tiles are generally more prone to be not flat. It's a challenge to prevent lippage and needs higher accuracy in thinset, planning of the job etc.
Yep, my tile guy put 36x12's face down on clients flat countertop and showed us how much each tile was up in the center. If he installed corners flat those tiles would have been 1/4 up in the center, since the client wanted an offset pattern (half tile) there would be lippage. Client wanted tiler to not use wedge levelers and "balance out" the height difference. Tiler is considering this,then puts 2 tiles face to face, sees a 3/16 difference in tile size......says he's going to get a coffee and consider how to install these tiles.
He texted while pulling out of driveway he was passing on the job.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1714 posts
719 upvotes
Vancouver
So, labour cost to install tile (is it ceramic or porcelain) is $14.8 per sq feet ($800/(9x6))?

I understand tile installation cost is high....what would labour cost be for installing laminate or vinyl floor?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
4237 posts
1821 upvotes
, ON
Fantastical wrote: So, labour cost to install tile (is it ceramic or porcelain) is $14.8 per sq feet ($800/(9x6))?

I understand tile installation cost is high....what would labour cost be for installing laminate or vinyl floor?
Well technically it is higher than that because there is toilet, vanity, and shower area that are taking up the washroom floor.

I am finishing the whole basement so I know the whole total cost and won’t know the cost to install vinyl floor only.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5644 upvotes
anotherbargainhunter wrote: It is a big job. I am finishing my basement and the washroom is part of it. They already include waterproof vinyl floor the same as the rest of the basement in the price. That price that they gave me is if I want tiles instead of the vinyl.

The tile that I prefer is 24x24. They only include tiles up to 12x24 for the price they quoted me.

This is for floor and not for wall in my washroom.
No tile flooring in hallway. The rest are vinyl floor.
Just curious, why not vinyl for the bathroom if you're already using it in the basement and it's included in the quote?
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
4237 posts
1821 upvotes
, ON
Toukolou wrote: Just curious, why not vinyl for the bathroom if you're already using it in the basement and it's included in the quote?
For the look? Nicer to have nice tiles in washroom IMO. Anyway, we may just stay with vinyl in washroom just because I think $800 is too much for the size of the area.