Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13952 posts
1602 upvotes
Out west

Bathroom timers with auto humidty

Who has used bathroom fan timers that have the built in humidity control. I have installed the manual timers before and need to install some again. But wondering if these are a better option. Do they have the option to just have them manually run a certain time as well?

https://www.rona.ca/en/humidity-sensor- ... l-01815667

Rona has them on sale for $32, not much more than a manual timer cost wise
14 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12760 posts
9137 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I thought about putting these in as well but opted for the manual one instead. What happens when you do number 2? It isn't going to be humid enough for the fan to kink in...just saying
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13952 posts
1602 upvotes
Out west
EP32k2 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 1:16 pm
I thought about putting these in as well but opted for the manual one instead. What happens when you do number 2? It isn't going to be humid enough for the fan to kink in...just saying
That what Im trying to see if they have the manual option as well
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2137 posts
1450 upvotes
SW Ontario
WikkiWikki wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 12:21 pm
Who has used bathroom fan timers that have the built in humidity control. I have installed the manual timers before and need to install some again. But wondering if these are a better option. Do they have the option to just have them manually run a certain time as well?

https://www.rona.ca/en/humidity-sensor- ... l-01815667

Rona has them on sale for $32, not much more than a manual timer cost wise
Great idea but generally terribly executed ... generally, switches are not close to the source of the humidity and by doorways which will affect its ability to sense.

I once had a humidity sensing exhaust fan in the washroom, that as long as it was switched on, was supposed to automatically vent the humidity ... it either was too sensitive or not sensitive enough, and I replaced it with a manual timer.

Motion sensing might make more sense ...
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13952 posts
1602 upvotes
Out west
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 1:26 pm
Great idea but generally terribly executed ... generally, switches are not close to the source of the humidity and by doorways which will affect its ability to sense.

I once had a humidity sensing exhaust fan in the washroom, that as long as it was switched on, was supposed to automatically vent the humidity ... it either was too sensitive or not sensitive enough, and I replaced it with a manual timer.

Motion sensing might make more sense ...
I know manual one works. Not having them now fans are left on constantly

Thought to maybe up the automation level some, but as well something else to break to
Jan 7, 2006
411 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto
I have the DewStop that came with the Costco exhaust fan, it does humidity sensing and time based run.

I turn it on manually most of the time, I mostly rely on the auto function for extreme cases... it's kicked on a few times in the summer automatically after either somebody turned off the fan manually after a shower or the timer turned it off and it was still too humid. Maybe the switch triggers when nobody is home and AC is on away mode on a humid day, but I don't have a way to monitor this.

The draw back of the switch is that you can't override and have it run indefinitely.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3285 posts
480 upvotes
Hamilton
I bought these for both the half bath and the en-suite. Good for hot showers and long sessions of number 2. They come in different duration configurations.

Leviton LTB30-1LZ Decora 1800W Incandescent/20A Resistive-Inductive 1HP Preset 5-10-15-30 Minute Countdown Timer Switch, White/Ivory/Light Almond

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002WTC91K/ref ... DCb7ZACBQ1
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2137 posts
1450 upvotes
SW Ontario
adblink182 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 8:00 pm
I bought these for both the half bath and the en-suite. Good for hot showers and long sessions of number 2. They come in different duration configurations.

Leviton LTB30-1LZ Decora 1800W Incandescent/20A Resistive-Inductive 1HP Preset 5-10-15-30 Minute Countdown Timer Switch, White/Ivory/Light Almond

X2 ... this what I've also been using in both bathrooms as well
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13952 posts
1602 upvotes
Out west
adblink182 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 8:00 pm

had those as well for our old house. 4 of them. Had to replace two over the years, they just died. But Leviton covered them.

I did buy the sensor ones on sale with the price beat, will decide about installing them after reading some more reviews
Jan 21, 2011
252 posts
101 upvotes
I would stick would Lutron timers, dimmers etc. Have 1 leviton and its the only one that needed replacing after about 2.5 years. There is also Cooper, Eatons aswell.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2013
1076 posts
726 upvotes
St Catharines
Kevin711 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 1:39 pm
I have the DewStop that came with the Costco exhaust fan, it does humidity sensing and time based run.

I turn it on manually most of the time, I mostly rely on the auto function for extreme cases... it's kicked on a few times in the summer automatically after either somebody turned off the fan manually after a shower or the timer turned it off and it was still too humid. Maybe the switch triggers when nobody is home and AC is on away mode on a humid day, but I don't have a way to monitor this.

The draw back of the switch is that you can't override and have it run indefinitely.
This looks perfect. My kids always forget to turn the fan on, this would solve that problem, while allowing me to set it to 30 minute manual time for “ventilation”. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13952 posts
1602 upvotes
Out west
I may or may not install. Thinking of its another thing to setup more, or adjust. At least with the manual timer, its just press it and leave, not worry about it going off to a too sensitive sensor and running when not needed
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
13952 posts
1602 upvotes
Out west
lamin wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 9:15 pm
I would stick would Lutron timers, dimmers etc. Have 1 leviton and its the only one that needed replacing after about 2.5 years. There is also Cooper, Eatons aswell.
Lutron timers are a bit cleaner looking, although not as straight forward as the Leviton