Entertainment

'The Batman' (Robert Pattinson as Batman for Matt Reeves - streaming debut April 18 Crave & HBOMax)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2022 8:34 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
They should get Andy Serkis to play the Penguin.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2459 posts
682 upvotes
Ontario
I think this is going to suffer from way too many villains. I really hope Jeffrey wright is not Gordon. It should be a white actor. He is a great actor but I'm sick of Hollywood doing this to be politically correct.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10175 posts
8302 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote: Looks like Jonah Hill is out. Paul Dano (There Will Be Blood) has been cast as The Riddler.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... er-1248494
Visually, I was struggling with picturing Jonah Hill as Riddler. Not sure I know or remember who Paul Dano is, but from the pic I saw, he looks weaselish enough to be Riddler.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1447 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote: Visually, I was struggling with picturing Jonah Hill as Riddler. Not sure I know or remember who Paul Dano is, but from the pic I saw, he looks weaselish enough to be Riddler.
Anything is better than Jim Carey at this point lol
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2014
1362 posts
1791 upvotes
Westmount, QC
webshark wrote: I think this is going to suffer from way too many villains. I really hope Jeffrey wright is not Gordon. It should be a white actor. He is a great actor but I'm sick of Hollywood doing this to be politically correct.
Depends on the story.

If it's like The Long Halloween, I can see why they would cast many villain, as they would only be necessary for a short time.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10175 posts
8302 upvotes
Toronto
Fabfive wrote: Anything is better than Jim Carey at this point lol
I actually didn't mind Carey that much.
At least they justified his over the topness through plot (he fried his brain).
Tommy Lee Jones was unbearable, as was Arnold.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2017
1344 posts
324 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
This movie has no connection to justice league or the DCU. It's a completely separate universe.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
some1not wrote: Also how are they going to merge this younger Batman in Justice League? The first JL Bats was getting to old. All of a sudden he found the fountain of youth? He would look younger than the Flash! Or is this not part of the DCU?
The Justice League team-up movies (a la Avengers) are dead in the water at this point. There will be standalone installments like Wonder Woman 2 and Aquaman 2 but that's it.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3741 posts
3965 upvotes
Toronto
brandonly wrote: This movie has no connection to justice league or the DCU. It's a completely separate universe.

Talamasca wrote: The Justice League team-up movies (a la Avengers) are dead in the water at this point. There will be standalone installments like Wonder Woman 2 and Aquaman 2 but that's it.
Damn, WB just can't their shit together!
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Madevilz wrote: If Affleck is making the movie, then it's gonna be good.
I knew Snyder would mess up BvS.
Didn’t affleck write the Boston based robbery heist movie as well? He is a good writer director.
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17434 posts
12786 upvotes
Toronto
jenviea wrote: Too many pop culture days
May the fourth was a cute pun but it's getting out of hand

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... an-1241731
Haz wrote: Batman Day has been around a few years now and it's been fun.
Maybe they should tie it to Bat Week (I think this is the first I've heard of it)

https://batweek.org/about/

At least that's purportedly educational
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17434 posts
12786 upvotes
Toronto
It's interesting recent TV keeps butching up Alfred but the movies seem to maintain the more butlery facade (or I'm judging a book by its cover)

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/andy ... 203393996/

I'm thinking some tight scheduling as Serkis was recently hired to direct the Venom sequel

Breaking news!

Unexpected choice to portray the Penguin

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... in-1248605

Poor Josh Gad!
Dec 14, 2016
914 posts
949 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
Serkis now confirmed as Alfred.
ScreenRant wrote:With Serkis officially joining the cast, The Batman has lined up an impressive cast of stars. Joining Serkis and Pattinson will be Paul Dano as The Riddler, Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman, and Jeffrey Wright as Commissioner Jim Gordon. Reeves has been lining up top-level talent for the movie, which should give fans hope that The Batman will live up to high expectations.
Another outlet is reporting that Farrell is still in negotiations for the role of Penguin. With so much of Batman's rogues gallery appearing, it'll be interesting to see how Reeves is going to work all these characters into the story.
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17434 posts
12786 upvotes
Toronto
Filming has started

Comicbookmovie has the WB press release

FILMING IS UNDERWAY ON WARNER BROS. PICTURES’ “THE BATMAN,” DIRECTED BY MATT REEVES AND STARRING ROBERT PATTINSON

Pattinson plays the dual role of Batman and Bruce Wayne amidst a star-studded ensemble

Dublin, – January 28, 2020 – Principal photography has begun on Warner Bros. Pictures’ “The Batman.” Director Matt Reeves (the “Planet of the Apes” films) is at the helm, with Robert Pattinson (upcoming “Tenet,” “The Lighthouse,” “Good Time”) starring as Gotham City’s vigilante detective, Batman, and billionaire Bruce Wayne. Starring alongside Pattinson as Gotham’s famous and infamous cast of characters are Zoë Kravitz (“Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald,” “Mad Max: Fury Road”) as Selina Kyle; Paul Dano (“Love & Mercy,” “12 Years a Slave”) as Edward Nashton; Jeffrey Wright (the “Hunger Games” films) as the GCPD’s James Gordon; John Turturro (the “Transformers” films) as Carmine Falcone; Peter Sarsgaard (“The Magnificent Seven,” “Black Mass”) as Gotham D.A. Gil Colson; Jayme Lawson (“Farewell Amor”) as mayoral candidate Bella Reál; with Andy Serkis (the “Planet of the Apes” films, “Black Panther”) as Alfred; and Colin Farrell (“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” “Dumbo”) as Oswald Cobblepot.

Reeves and Dylan Clark (the “Planet of the Apes” films) are producing the film, with Simon Emanuel, Michael E. Uslan, Walter Hamada and Chantal Nong Vo serving as executive producers. Reeves’ behind-the-scenes creative team includes Oscar-nominated director of photography Greig Fraser (“Lion,” upcoming “Dune”); his “Planet of the Apes” production designer, James Chinlund; editors William Hoy (the “Planet of the Apes” films) and Tyler Nelson (“Rememory”); Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Dan Lemmon (“The Jungle Book”); Oscar-nominated SFX supervisor Dominic Tuohy (“1917,” “Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker”); Oscar-nominated sound mixer Stuart Wilson (“1917,” the “Star Wars” franchise); Oscar-winning costume designer Jacqueline Durran (“1917,” “Little Women,” “Anna Karenina”) and costume designers Glyn Dillon (the “Star Wars” franchise) and David Crossman (“1917,” the “Star Wars” franchise); hair designer Zoe Tahir (upcoming “No Time to Die,” “Spectre”); and Oscar-nominated makeup designer Naomi Donne (“1917”).

Batman was created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger. Based on characters from DC, “The Batman” is set to open in theaters June 25, 2021 and will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures.

Interesting the Riddler starts as Edward Nashton instead of the too cute Nygma; Sarsgaard isn't playing Harvey Dent but maybe he's till playing Two-Face?
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17434 posts
12786 upvotes
Toronto

BMD helpfully turned up the brightness on a couple of frames

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)