Home & Garden

Battery backup sump pump

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2020 1:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1537 posts
36 upvotes
usa

Battery backup sump pump

We've installed a Basement Watchdog Special+ battery sump pump when our basement got flooded many years ago. Over the years, the unit and/or battery failed, and replaced it with another unit. Now this unit failed also.

We've been thinking if it's worth spending 600-700 fir another unit. What's everyone's suggestion? If so, what brand do you recommend? What other options do we have if we don't want a battery backup sump pump? Is there something that can kick in when power is lost and power up the main pump?
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9646 posts
5037 upvotes
Paris
$700 twice? Man you are halfway to a 10kw generator.
Jr. Member
Apr 8, 2013
125 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
You might consider the Liberty SJ10 Sumpjet (this runs off of your municipal water supply). T

If you’re looking for a reliable battery back up sump pump, try the 1/2 hp Liberty 441 battery back up system. We installed this unit in our basement last year (no issues thus far). The only thing you need to do is to test the unit every 2-3 months and to replace the marine deep cycle battery every 2-3 years.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4267 posts
3697 upvotes
Toronto
gta1216 wrote: We've installed a Basement Watchdog Special+ battery sump pump when our basement got flooded many years ago. Over the years, the unit and/or battery failed, and replaced it with another unit. Now this unit failed also.
What problems have you been having with it? You should expect to replace the battery every three years or four years so, just like you do with a car battery, so that's completely normal and you don't need a whole new system for that. If you had a problem with the charger, that's quite unusual. A backup pump should also be pretty robust, unless it's used frequently, which means you should deal with that issue (it should only run during a long power outage during a bad rainstorm, so maybe once every couple of years). Just want to make sure you're not replacing it unnecessarily (and thus have the same problem down the road with another one).
Sr. Member
Jun 26, 2019
796 posts
596 upvotes
As others have said, you basically have 3 options:

1) Go with a pump that runs off water pressure.
2) Replace the battery every on regular intervals.
3) Switch to whole house backup power - Generator or Powerwall, hint, the generator is way cheaper and lots more power.
Newbie
Jun 6, 2018
95 posts
41 upvotes
In my old house, I created my own battery backup for the 1/6 hp sump. 12v batteries connected to a intelligent charger with an inverter. Bought a 2 pole relay and wired it to be the power out relay so if city power went out, the relay would switch power for the sump to the inverter. Automatically switches back when city power comes back.
Key point to remember is the common contacts connect to the sump. Coil and normally open contacts connect to the city power. I believe I was using nautilus charger,inverter, and batteries. Maintenance free!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1537 posts
36 upvotes
usa
I don't remember what exactly happened nor when. I know the battery failed after a few years, so it was replaced. Then the charger malfunctioned, so we swap the battery over to a new system. Now, the "water" and "battery" light is lit. We topped off the battery with distilled water but the "water" light stays on. The "battery" light means possible defective or corroded. We checked and there is no corrosion on the terminal. Normally we can press the button to silence the alarm, but when we press it, it just keep clicking and doesn't do anything.

Someone suggested something like this, which I was told doesn't require any maintenance and is more reliable. https://www.amazon.com/Sentry-Emergency ... B079T63BDH
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4264 posts
1501 upvotes
WFH
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: As others have said, you basically have 3 options:

1) Go with a pump that runs off water pressure.
2) Replace the battery every on regular intervals.
3) Switch to whole house backup power - Generator or Powerwall, hint, the generator is way cheaper and lots more power.
Option 3 provides redundancy for the power source but not the pump. You will still get caught out if the pump fails.
Member
Feb 26, 2019
401 posts
354 upvotes
Ottawa
I installed a Liberty SJ10 Sumpjet as my backup this winter. That was recommended to me on this forum. It works well and gives peace of mind.

If you go this route, you will need a back-flow protection valve. FYI: this cost as much as the pump itself. Will require some plumbing changes as well, so factor that in (either into your budget or your DIY time).
Newbie
Nov 5, 2004
82 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
I was just looking to figure out how to get one of these installed. My insurance company is telling me we need a battery powered sump pump in addition to the one I have now that is running off power (or can I replace the one I have?). Not sure.

How much would I expect to pay for this?

I got a couple of quotes and they are saying 1500-2000 installed which includes sump pump, marine battery and a high water alarm....is that reasonable? Anyone know a good plumber in the GTA that does these types of installations?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
PeeBee wrote: I was just looking to figure out how to get one of these installed. My insurance company is telling me we need a battery powered sump pump in addition to the one I have now that is running off power (or can I replace the one I have?). Not sure.

How much would I expect to pay for this?

I got a couple of quotes and they are saying 1500-2000 installed which includes sump pump, marine battery and a high water alarm....is that reasonable? Anyone know a good plumber in the GTA that does these types of installations?
I don’t typically comment about pricing but those quotes are rather high. Likely to take advantage of the fact you might be able to apply for a rebate depending on your municipality.
For example the rebate in Toronto for sump pump, backup, and high water alarm is 80% back to a maximum of $1750
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Member
Nov 29, 2015
415 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I too am in need of a plumber. I recently moved into a home with a sump pump and the previous owner left a SJ liberty.

I don't think that the current system has a back valve or is it already there and it is a matter of the plumber just attaching the liberty to the current setup?

Please see photos
IMG_20200522_200816.jpg
IMG_20200522_200753.jpg
Sr. Member
Jun 26, 2019
796 posts
596 upvotes
iceman2015 wrote: I too am in need of a plumber. I recently moved into a home with a sump pump and the previous owner left a SJ liberty.

I don't think that the current system has a back valve or is it already there and it is a matter of the plumber just attaching the liberty to the current setup?
That's an interesting setup, I'll wait for someone more qualified to comment *cough* Red Army *cough*

Anyways, I just wanted to point out in this thread, that if you are in Toronto, it is against the bylaw for your sump pump to discharge to any sewer. You either need a storm sewer connection exemption or a private water discharge permit depending on the type of property you own. Most homeowners here will require the former. It's a by law, with very little enforcement, but just thought I'd point this out.

I also want to note, that depending on your plumbing configuration, a backflow valve on your main sewer line might not necessarily protect your sump line depending on where it goes and how it connects.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: That's an interesting setup, I'll wait for someone more qualified to comment *cough* Red Army *cough*

Anyways, I just wanted to point out in this thread, that if you are in Toronto, it is against the bylaw for your sump pump to discharge to any sewer. You either need a storm sewer connection exemption or a private water discharge permit depending on the type of property you own. Most homeowners here will require the former. It's a by law, with very little enforcement, but just thought I'd point this out.

I also want to note, that depending on your plumbing configuration, a backflow valve on your main sewer line might not necessarily protect your sump line depending on where it goes and how it connects.
The backflow preventer is for the water supply for the Sj10, has nothing to do with drainage
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
iceman2015 wrote: I too am in need of a plumber. I recently moved into a home with a sump pump and the previous owner left a SJ liberty.

I don't think that the current system has a back valve or is it already there and it is a matter of the plumber just attaching the liberty to the current setup?

Please see photosIMG_20200522_200816.jpgIMG_20200522_200753.jpg
Everything to do with this picture is completely illegal
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Jr. Member
Apr 8, 2013
125 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
PeeBee wrote: I was just looking to figure out how to get one of these installed. My insurance company is telling me we need a battery powered sump pump in addition to the one I have now that is running off power (or can I replace the one I have?). Not sure.

How much would I expect to pay for this?

I got a couple of quotes and they are saying 1500-2000 installed which includes sump pump, marine battery and a high water alarm....is that reasonable? Anyone know a good plumber in the GTA that does these types of installations?

$1,500 to $2,000 is a bit high for a basic installation.

We bought our Liberty 441 ½ HP with batter backup up at H20 Plumbing Supplies in Etobicoke last fall.

As I recall the system was around $550. The marine battery from Canadian Tire was $200 and installation by a local plumber was $250 (note that no modifications were to the system were needed).

I can tell you first hand that the Liberty 441 combination back up system works amazing. I accidentally left the breaker off powering the primary pump and the battery back up worked for over a day and a half before the alarm went off warning that the battery was low. We had rain the night before and the pump was busy.
Member
Oct 6, 2012
226 posts
73 upvotes
alberta
I am interested in battery backup sumppump system. I have one extra regular sump pump laying around, just wondering to see if there is way to put battery and inverter for this unit. Please share your thoughts. Thank you
Member
Oct 6, 2012
226 posts
73 upvotes
alberta
hhuggles wrote: In my old house, I created my own battery backup for the 1/6 hp sump. 12v batteries connected to a intelligent charger with an inverter. Bought a 2 pole relay and wired it to be the power out relay so if city power went out, the relay would switch power for the sump to the inverter. Automatically switches back when city power comes back.
Key point to remember is the common contacts connect to the sump. Coil and normally open contacts connect to the city power. I believe I was using nautilus charger,inverter, and batteries. Maintenance free!!!
I love the way you described, May I ask what wattage of the inverter you used and what battery? Thank you for your help

Top