• Aug 25th, 2019 2:25 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 21, 2007
371 posts
365 upvotes
Peterborough

Battery Bank 20000mah+

Looking for a deal for a good quality battery bank, have been looking but don't see anything sticking out
8 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13802 posts
8494 upvotes
Markham
Curious why you want/need 20,000 mah unless you plan on trying to charge a laptop or something which has a much bigger battery.

Just remember these things periodically die for no reason and you'd be out a lot more $$ by buying 20,000 mah unit. Perhaps two 10,000 mah might be better - easier to charge two devices with two "bricks" as you're not tethered to one "brick". Unless you phone burns batteries, I doubt you need to charge a phone more than once in a day with the backup brick.
Other cons:
>that it might take a long time to charge up a 20,000 mah brick unless you get a good unit.
> heavier brick to lug around
> some airlines restrict higher capacity bricks (you need to research if this is the case for 20000 mah). Beware what is accepted today might change tomorrow.
> if the one brick you have goes wonky you are SOL'd.

eg. $60 for Anker
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01LQ81QR0/ref=emc_b_5_t

5 hours to recharge unit below with a QC charger....need to buy a separate wall plug charger
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Nov 21, 2007
371 posts
365 upvotes
Peterborough
gr8dlr wrote: Curious why you want/need 20,000 mah unless you plan on trying to charge a laptop or something which has a much bigger battery.
Thank you, It will be used on extended camping trips (7+ days) with no access to power. Would be charging 2 phones and a camera battery. Currently have a 9000mah but its not lasting us long enough.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13802 posts
8494 upvotes
Markham
THEAVS wrote: Thank you, It will be used on extended camping trips (7+ days) with no access to power. Would be charging 2 phones and a camera battery. Currently have a 9000mah but its not lasting us long enough.
I think two bricks 10000mah might be better...easier to share and if one breaks you still have a 10000 mah brick. Consider buying at Costco but don't open the package (be nice) and when you return, if you don't need it, return it!
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jan 6, 2004
698 posts
151 upvotes
Vancouver
keep an eye out for Ravpower or Anker power banks on Amazon. There have been pretty good deals for powerbank in that capacity before.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1186 posts
577 upvotes
TORONTO
I bought a 20000mah powerbank that has a solar panel on it. Worked great for camping and charges with sunlight. I believe it was an Anker. I'd have to confirm later when I get home. But I def. bought it off of Amazon.

Only drawbacks is that it's heavy and yes, takes a while to charge and thats via usb. I can't imagine how long it would take to charge it in the sun. But I'd think at least a couple of days to get it full. But at the same time you can virtually have endless power supply.
Mine doesn't support Power Delivery for USB-C, so no charging laptops.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4518 upvotes
Alberta
gr8dlr wrote: Curious why you want/need 20,000 mah unless you plan on trying to charge a laptop or something which has a much bigger battery.

Just remember these things periodically die for no reason and you'd be out a lot more $$ by buying 20,000 mah unit. Perhaps two 10,000 mah might be better - easier to charge two devices with two "bricks" as you're not tethered to one "brick". Unless you phone burns batteries, I doubt you need to charge a phone more than once in a day with the backup brick.
Other cons:
>that it might take a long time to charge up a 20,000 mah brick unless you get a good unit.
> heavier brick to lug around
> some airlines restrict higher capacity bricks (you need to research if this is the case for 20000 mah). Beware what is accepted today might change tomorrow.
> if the one brick you have goes wonky you are SOL'd.

eg. $60 for Anker
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01LQ81QR0/ref=emc_b_5_t

5 hours to recharge unit below with a QC charger....need to buy a separate wall plug charger
I have this Anker and it's great. At first I thought it was a bit on the big and heavy side but since I carry it in a backpack it's not that bad at all. I bought the Anker Powercore II 10000 for my wife and daughter and it's ok a lot smaller and lighter and easier for them to pack around in a purse. But. I prefer the 20000. I paid $49 for it on Amazon.