• Feb 25th, 2020 1:30 pm
[OP]
Apr 22, 2015
257 posts
92 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

Battery draining issues on new CRVs

Hi,
Just recently bought (well, leased) a 2019 CRV Touring to replace our 2015 CRV (Touring as well) and now am reading that there are batter drainage issues on the newer models. Has anybody or anyone they know experienced anything about this? Reason why I did not read up on the new ones as much (should have, I know) is that we really loved how our previous CRV performed.
Thanks in advance.
19 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15682 posts
16838 upvotes
Oakville
ayosnato wrote: Hi,
Just recently bought (well, leased) a 2019 CRV Touring to replace our 2015 CRV (Touring as well) and now am reading that there are batter drainage issues on the newer models. Has anybody or anyone they know experienced anything about this? Reason why I did not read up on the new ones as much (should have, I know) is that we really loved how our previous CRV performed.
Thanks in advance.
What is the issue? Battery drain seems to be worse on newer cars with more electronics and less charging to save fuel and improve MPG. I give my battery a full charge about once a month at home, especially in the winter and if I haven't gone on a long drive in a while.
[OP]
Apr 22, 2015
257 posts
92 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
engineered wrote: What is the issue? Battery drain seems to be worse on newer cars with more electronics and less charging to save fuel and improve MPG. I give my battery a full charge about once a month at home, especially in the winter and if I haven't gone on a long drive in a while.
Thanks for your reply. The ones I was reading had battery drains when the vehicle is not in use for a couple of days. Some have even mentioned battery dying less than a month after getting the vehicle. So yeah, as you mentioned, due to more electronics needing the juice..
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6130 posts
4741 upvotes
ayosnato wrote: Thanks for your reply. The ones I was reading had battery drains when the vehicle is not in use for a couple of days. Some have even mentioned battery dying less than a month after getting the vehicle. So yeah, as you mentioned, due to more electronics needing the juice..
Read the TSB I posted, Honda goofed and there is a fix.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11638 posts
2142 upvotes
Toronto
This is the one area of a car that has basically been unchanged since the dawn. The car battery. Alot more standby and 'smart' features draining it. Called parasitic drain. Just reading about it and it seems wider spread for the 2019 CRV. It's a software issue.

Using trickler charger daily is needed. Hope you're not in a condo. Or get those portable boosters and keep it full charged and in the car. They're trying to come up a with software update.
[OP]
Apr 22, 2015
257 posts
92 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Xtrema wrote: TSB 19-039 if you are experiencing parasitic lost.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/CR- ... dead.shtml

At least it's a lease, so if this never get resolve, it's not really your problem once lease is over.
Thank you very much for this information. I will contact my dealer to check if this update has been applied to our vehicle. Is there a way of knowing based on the VIN?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15721 posts
13460 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Is there anything that isn’t wrong with this generation CRV?
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4719 posts
5727 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EP32k2 wrote: Is there anything that isn’t wrong with this generation CRV?
I find CRV's often carry the worst type of drivers too.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5631 posts
1357 upvotes
wow - the new CRV's have multiple catastrophic problems.

no way in hell i'd buy one.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
2193 posts
676 upvotes
Service Bulletin - The vehicle fails to start after being parked for an extended period. After the vehicle is parked for an extended period, the PCM begins an evaporative system leak check after meeting certain criteria. Under certain conditions, it may not return to sleep mode, causing the battery to discharge.
That's the vacuum pump for the evaporative system leak check. Normal for it to start running several hours after vehicle has been parked. On some '19 V's it doesn't shut off, draining the battery. That's what TSB 19-039 addresses.
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14 ... 9-crv.html
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8946 posts
10132 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
milolai wrote: wow - the new CRV's have multiple catastrophic problems.

no way in hell i'd buy one.
Yeah you stick to those Dodge. Reliable as the day is long eh?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5631 posts
1357 upvotes
cartfan123 wrote: Yeah you stick to those Dodge. Reliable as the day is long eh?
ha - never owned a dodge. likely never will. and I actually own a Honda.

just notice everytime something bad is posted about the CRV here the owners rally together to try and protect the resale based on the perceived reliability of their shitboxes.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1006 posts
406 upvotes
The batteries are undersized too. Not sure about the new gen but previous gen fits the next size up (same as the one in an odyssey) easily which a lot of owners did.
This has been a problem since last gen. Honda doesn’t learn from its mistakes. Just like other issues that they have been dragging on.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11638 posts
2142 upvotes
Toronto
kkkat wrote: The batteries are undersized too. Not sure about the new gen but previous gen fits the next size up (same as the one in an odyssey) easily which a lot of owners did.
This has been a problem since last gen. Honda doesn’t learn from its mistakes. Just like other issues that they have been dragging on.
My neighbour had an 07 Accord. An old guy so he didn't drive it for a long time so the battery died. He was selling it so I replaced the battery for him. I was shocked to see it was the same or I think even weaker than my 97 Corolla battery.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1287 posts
978 upvotes
HAMILTON
Has your battery drained and left you stranded ??? If not, what is your isssue........ This is another one of those " what if " questions with no real answer.

You did not do due diligence before buying the vehicle or you would have known of the issue and been able to make an informed decision regarding the purchase.

You now own that vehicle and if issues come up, take it back to the deal for remedy....... is simple. There is no real value on worrying about it " unless " something happens
Feb 22, 2020
1 posts
2 upvotes
Worst vehicle ever.

9 months 2019 CRV, and twice towed to dealer with dead battery.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1314 posts
430 upvotes
This is from what I am reading on web. Someone said Battery drain is related to Emission System and there is no fix.

There is good discussion on Oil problem on Redflagdeals that I haven't read thoroughly yet.
There is internal engine fuel leak diluting and contaminating engine oil and causing oil overfill with 2017-2019 CR-V
When this happen, I think emission light comes on. So monitor engine oil on weakly basis. Who knows if emission light is related to battery drain?

Little bit more to add

Web is saying 0.500 amp drain found in Evaporation Detection Module and software update needed.

There was mention of EVAC Test.

As mentioned before Service Bulletin 19-039

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp& ... 2497500165

Click the first NHSTA link.
Mar 5, 2018
232 posts
102 upvotes
kkkat wrote: The batteries are undersized too. Not sure about the new gen but previous gen fits the next size up (same as the one in an odyssey) easily which a lot of owners did.
My CRV 2014 battery was dead after 2 1/2. The bad is the warranty is covered only 2 years. The battery is really tiny comparing with other cars, but you don't need to replace it with the same one that your stealer wants to sell to you. I have bought another at Costco (Kirland #8 I think), just take the measure up to the pole and width to make sure that it fits in the place and have a good CCA (850 I think). The new one has more than 3 years now without problem. When I looked for it, there is no small size available for CRV 2014, so I take the same one for Altima 2008 of my brother-in-law.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14933 posts
3319 upvotes
Toronto
TomShopper wrote: My CRV 2014 battery was dead after 2 1/2. The bad is the warranty is covered only 2 years. The battery is really tiny comparing with other cars, but you don't need to replace it with the same one that your stealer wants to sell to you. I have bought another at Costco (Kirland #8 I think), just take the measure up to the pole and width to make sure that it fits in the place and have a good CCA (850 I think). The new one has more than 3 years now without problem. When I looked for it, there is no small size available for CRV 2014, so I take the same one for Altima 2008 of my brother-in-law.
The battery goes by group size. The CRV takes either a Group 51R or Group 35 (check your owners manual). The tiny ones would be the Civic size 51R. You can upgrade to Group 35 which has 640CCA vs the paltry 410-440 CCA. Add in a simple yet effective battery charger like this (https://www.amazon.ca/Schumacher-SC1279 ... B07DM22XTN) to top up every couple of months and you will be fine for several years.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless