• Jul 21st, 2011 3:31 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2010
1658 posts
184 upvotes
Scarbontario

Battery Grip: 3rd-party vs. Genuine?

Are there any difference in quality and usability?

I know Canon battery grips are $200+ which are pretty overpriced for an average consumer. But is there any reason to use genuine Canon grips on a new EOS 60D over using a 3rd-party battery grip?

Thanks for the input.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5405 posts
5461 upvotes
Edmonton
dr wrote: Are there any difference in quality and usability?

I know Canon battery grips are $200+ which are pretty overpriced for an average consumer. But is there any reason to use genuine Canon grips on a new EOS 60D over using a 3rd-party battery grip?

Thanks for the input.

I have no constructive input but I'm curious as to why you want one. Is the extra battery capacity or better ergonomics?
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2010
1658 posts
184 upvotes
Scarbontario
fatestkid wrote: I have no constructive input but I'm curious as to why you want one. Is the extra battery capacity or better ergonomics?

Obviously for both.

OH, BETTER QUESTION: does using batteries separately expend battery life or using them together in a battery grip? And what about 3rd-party batteries?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
451 upvotes
Toronto
I own a Meike grip for my 600d. There is no difference. In fact, the aftermarket grip has an extra lcd screen on the grip, feels just like the Canon grip, and only costed me $60 which included 2 extra batteries.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2010
1658 posts
184 upvotes
Scarbontario
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: I own a Meike grip for my 600d. There is no difference. In fact, the aftermarket grip has an extra lcd screen on the grip, feels just like the Canon grip, and only costed me $60 which included 2 extra batteries.
Did you get this locally? Can you send me an eBay link/store?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2005
1845 posts
20 upvotes
I also have the Meike grip for my XSI as well as my 5dmark2 and got both of them from this store: www.linkdelight.com
They ship from China but I've bought stuff from them 2-3 times a year for the past couple of years and buy all my grips from them, very good quality products.

Actually I just ordered a 60D battery grip from them: http://www.linkdelight.com/B2N-Canon-BG ... -w/C1.html
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1217 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
You can shoot about 1000-1500 images per battery. Why would you need a grip? Extra weight will only hurt your wrists in a long run. IMHO.
Nov 27, 2010
93 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
I think most are getting it because it "looks" good. Just carry an extra battery with you.

You should only get one if you need that extra/fast frame rate.

But if you really want one, I honestly don't think there's a difference at all between 3rd party and genuine Canon brand.

A friend bought a 3rd party brand which cost 1/3 of the price of a Canon brand and it feels well built and carries extra 2 batteries whereas Canon's holds 1 (there may be one that holds 2; not sure).

A good brand I know of: http://www.phottix.com/
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1049 posts
11 upvotes
I have grips for both my bodies. Both are 3rd party. One is a zeikos? and the other a ebay rip off. The ebay rip worked well at first, but now the connection is getting loose, so the body turns off at times, or freezes mid shot.... very annoying.

I've only had the zeikos for about half a year, so far it feels solid. but only time will tell. (I looked at what b+h was offering in terms of 3rd party grips)

so in conclusion, do not buy ebay rip offs. stick with reputable 3rd party vendors

as to why you want a grip... for me it just feels better to hold. i take my grips off for travel, and i do find that i miss the grip.
and if you do a lot of portrait orientated shots, then it is much nicer to hold.

other factors like battery life, looks, etc are kinda moot and your money can be spent better else where.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9067 posts
2367 upvotes
Ergonomics for the grip, try shooting an event where most of your shots are in portrait-mode, my wrist can't handle or hold my camera like that for prolonged periods of time. They tire out and my shots get more shaky and I have trouble keeping things lined up properly, last time I shot an event like that without a grip my wrist was sore for 3 days after.

The grip lets get a more natural hold of the camera in portrait-orientation, it's a life-saver in an event shoot if you ask me. Otherwise I go grip-less most of the time, I don't carry it unless I know I will need it.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Nov 22, 2009
433 posts
47 upvotes
Markham Ontario
I have been using a Grip for my D300.
It is mostly for ergonomic reasons and it has been a Zeikos Third party grip. It has served me well for 2 + years with no complaints.

I just recently purchased the Nikon official grip with the upgraded battery. This will give me the added advantage of 8 FPS shooting versus.
Dec 20, 2008
42 posts
I have a eBay grip from a seller in china. Don't know if I received a bad copy, but my grip gives inaccurate battery reading....if that's important for you
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1754 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
Buying an extra battery and switching them is a money saving option to. Unless you are shooting hardcore or portraits at an event. Changing the battery costs like 15 seconds.
Jul 16, 2009
693 posts
59 upvotes
On the third party grips you might not get that nice soft shutter button. I use a phottix grip on the 5dmkii and it bothers me sometimes when i want to reduce shake as much as possible
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6146 posts
1734 upvotes
Not sure why anyone would want 3rd party grip, no guarantee it won't fry the electronics on your camera. Have seen enough problems in the field with other people's gear, so why risk it?
Aug 30, 2010
41 posts
3 upvotes
Scaborough
From past experience I say stay away from from third party grips. They are wobbly, plastic and give your $2000 camera a cheap feel. If you will be using your camera as a work horse, regardless of the third party make, get a genuine grip. I am basing this on trying different grips for extended periods on my 5D2.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2010
1658 posts
184 upvotes
Scarbontario
da_way wrote: Buying an extra battery and switching them is a money saving option to. Unless you are shooting hardcore or portraits at an event. Changing the battery costs like 15 seconds.

Thanks for the tip. Bought extra 3rd party batteries instead. ;)

I bought a backup 50d that came with a battery grip and it's heavy as hell. I sure does look impressive, but it's not worth the weight.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)