Home & Garden

Battery operated lawn mower suggestion

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2021 5:42 pm
[OP]
Nov 15, 2020
2 posts

Battery operated lawn mower suggestion

Looking for suggestions for battery operated lawn mower for mid to large sized lawn in GTA. Thanks in advance!
17 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2003 posts
1107 upvotes
Following this thread

I got over 1000sq ft and my electric 16in needs to be replaced. Thing is Im only willing to spend at the $300-350 mark
[OP]
Nov 15, 2020
2 posts
Thanks @I69norm , seems the Toro ones are expensive and that particular one is not available .
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1664 upvotes
Clarington, ON
UserForDeals wrote: Thanks @I69norm , seems the Toro ones are expensive and that particular one is not available .
Looking for cordless, non fossil fuel?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10626 posts
5915 upvotes
Paris
kasm wrote: I really like my Ryobi 40V 20" mower. My lot is 40'x120' (including the house, 2 car driveway and a 500 sq ft deck) and have no problems with a single charge lasting the whole yard.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi- ... 1000858337

Seems to be out of stock. This one might be a replacement updated model:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi- ... 1001487536
They have changed the mowers to accommodate the new 9ah batteries. The older mowers wont be able to use them as the battery is physically quite a bit taller. They are planning a lot of bigger 40v items, like a full sized 2 stage snowblower and need the higher capacity batteries.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5096 posts
2003 upvotes
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3932 posts
1037 upvotes
GTA
For those of you looking for recommendations, it'd really help if you can provide a budget.

For cordless most people will probably recommend Ego products and they would be right to do so, they're very highly rated.

I personally ended up with a 60V GreenWorks unit from Canadian Tire that I'm happy with. If I had a larger yard I probably would have opted for the Ego line but it was tough to justify given the price difference.
Jan 18, 2009
136 posts
74 upvotes
Leask
I have a Black and Decker battery lawnmower and it does a great job.
Actually this is my second the previous lasted 10 years and it was cheaper to replace it than buy a new battery.
There is also a factory outlet in Mississauga that may have units available.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2210 posts
616 upvotes
Vaughan
The_Professor wrote: For those of you looking for recommendations, it'd really help if you can provide a budget.

For cordless most people will probably recommend Ego products and they would be right to do so, they're very highly rated.

I personally ended up with a 60V GreenWorks unit from Canadian Tire that I'm happy with. If I had a larger yard I probably would have opted for the Ego line but it was tough to justify given the price difference.
I guess my budget would be anything under $500 since the Mikita I linked above is $499 right now. My lawn isn't particularly big, but I would still want something that can handle a larger lawn in case one day we move or I have to do someone else's lawn.

Of the Ryobi linked above and the Mikita, is the Mikita worth the extra $100 (I don't need the blower)? I don't like that the Mikita can't fold away like the Ryobi.

I've never looked at Greenworks or Black and Decker before so I wouldn't even know where to start. Actually, I can say that about any mower brand.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1603 posts
795 upvotes
GTA
I had a Black and Decker before my Ryobi and the Ryobi is 10x better. It's so much more maneuverable and light. The battery lasts so much longer and it folds away easily. It also charges very quickly. Mind you, we are comparing technologies which are 10 years apart, so the newer B&D's may be better than before.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2210 posts
616 upvotes
Vaughan
Bought the Ryobi from HomeDepot. The other one I was considering was the Greenworks 17" from Canadian Tire for $50 more which has a 60V battery vs 40V on the Ryobi but has a smaller 17" deck vs 20" on the Ryobi, and that ended up being the deciding factor.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12232 posts
2439 upvotes
Toronto
I've had Kobalt brand and it has been good.