Battery replacement for a 2014 Macbook Pro Retina

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2020 11:22 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes

Battery replacement for a 2014 Macbook Pro Retina

Can you guys suggest anywhere in the GTA to get battery replacments done on a couple of 2014 MBP's with Retina? I am not comfortable trying this myself, and prefer to not fork over $250 for each to Apple...

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22156 posts
10321 upvotes
Toronto
With Apple, you will get a new top case and keyboard too with Apple warranty and a genuine Apple battery.

Going to a third party may not get you a real Apple battery despite what the shop tells you.

Original Apple batteries are provided to authorized Apple repair shops and authorised repair shops are not allowed to sell genuine Apple parts without installation.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
audit13 wrote: With Apple, you will get a new top case and keyboard too with Apple warranty and a genuine Apple battery.

Going to a third party may not get you a real Apple battery despite what the shop tells you.

Original Apple batteries are provided to authorized Apple repair shops and authorised repair shops are not allowed to sell genuine Apple parts without installation.
New top case and keyboard through Apple? Honestly didn't know that but I will investigate. I get it that a 3rd party won't get me the same quality, but cannot wrap my head around paying over $250 for a replacement...and we need two of them.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4615 posts
3080 upvotes
redsfan wrote: New top case and keyboard through Apple? Honestly didn't know that but I will investigate. I get it that a 3rd party won't get me the same quality, but cannot wrap my head around paying over $250 for a replacement...and we need two of them.
I bought an OEM battery for a 2011 mbp 15" and it was close to 200 without installation. So 250 installed is pretty good price.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22156 posts
10321 upvotes
Toronto
redsfan wrote: New top case and keyboard through Apple? Honestly didn't know that but I will investigate. I get it that a 3rd party won't get me the same quality, but cannot wrap my head around paying over $250 for a replacement...and we need two of them.
If you need the replacement right away, go with a third part shop; otherwise, wait until Apple opens it's store or call an authorised Apple service centre to confirm that these parts are replaced during a battery change. I had the battery in a late 2013 13" done for $230 plus tax from Apple and they replaced the keyboard and top case.

Jump+ at College and Spadina is an authorised dealer and repair depot: https://shop.jumpplus.com
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
audit13 wrote: If you need the replacement right away, go with a third part shop; otherwise, wait until Apple opens it's store or call an authorised Apple service centre to confirm that these parts are replaced during a battery change. I had the battery in a late 2013 13" done for $230 plus tax from Apple and they replaced the keyboard and top case.

Jump+ at College and Spadina is an authorised dealer and repair depot: https://shop.jumpplus.com
Thanks, been looking into this, and thanks for the same reply on MacForums. The keyboard and top case are not needed to be replaced on a mid-2014, so just the battery. I can buy a battery for about $90 on Amazon, have it installed at a local shop (im in Newmarket) for another $20. After seeing a price of about $250 on Apple, we called support and they quoted me $169 installed. So something seems off bigtime. I wouldn't get the same capacity battery 3rd party as Apple or a dealer, so have to find a store that is open to get clarify which I don't seem to really have
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6633 posts
1249 upvotes
Toronto
redsfan wrote: Thanks, been looking into this, and thanks for the same reply on MacForums. The keyboard and top case are not needed to be replaced on a mid-2014, so just the battery. I can buy a battery for about $90 on Amazon, have it installed at a local shop (im in Newmarket) for another $20. After seeing a price of about $250 on Apple, we called support and they quoted me $169 installed. So something seems off bigtime. I wouldn't get the same capacity battery 3rd party as Apple or a dealer, so have to find a store that is open to get clarify which I don't seem to really have
The after-market battery can only comes from 1 or 2-3 factories (its probably 1 factory now). Even from the same factory - the quality can vary significantly. I try to buy after-market batteries from reputable 3rd party, yet I always have to return it one time before I get the right one.
The avg of macbook batteries is even higher (maybe they sit for a long time? before they are sold)

Now to replace the battery - the insane amount and strong glue is the hard part. Some people warm it up, other cold it up ... but that is just insane amount of energy and effort.
ACtual changing the battery isn't hard after that. You do have to glue the new one in the same spot.

If you are getting it done by someone, they will install it cheaply - but what if its defective battery? (you have to go through 3 cycles to really get an idea). Who is going to incur cost of labour and replacement?

If you are planning to keep it for moer than a year - do it through Apple. That battery will last your 5+ years.
After-market battery gives you 80% capacity (best case scenario). My brother changed his - the computer used to just literally die at 30% capacity!
I haven't heard of a macbook battery to last more than a year when its from China.

Good Luck
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters ... until its solved.
Stay in the know - subscribe.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
3474 posts
2697 upvotes
Vancouver
iFixit sells great quality batteries. Also the 2014 is pretty simple to replace iirc.

Top-case replacement is only for 2016 & above Macbooks
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: iFixit sells great quality batteries. Also the 2014 is pretty simple to replace iirc.

Top-case replacement is only for 2016 & above Macbooks
thanks, looks like they sell the one I need for $136. Waiting for the Apple store up by me to open up to confirm their price with the install is what support gave us tonight
PrinceMS wrote: The after-market battery can only comes from 1 or 2-3 factories (its probably 1 factory now). Even from the same factory - the quality can vary significantly. I try to buy after-market batteries from reputable 3rd party, yet I always have to return it one time before I get the right one.
The avg of macbook batteries is even higher (maybe they sit for a long time? before they are sold)

Now to replace the battery - the insane amount and strong glue is the hard part. Some people warm it up, other cold it up ... but that is just insane amount of energy and effort.
ACtual changing the battery isn't hard after that. You do have to glue the new one in the same spot.

If you are getting it done by someone, they will install it cheaply - but what if its defective battery? (you have to go through 3 cycles to really get an idea). Who is going to incur cost of labour and replacement?

If you are planning to keep it for moer than a year - do it through Apple. That battery will last your 5+ years.
After-market battery gives you 80% capacity (best case scenario). My brother changed his - the computer used to just literally die at 30% capacity!
I haven't heard of a macbook battery to last more than a year when its from China.

Good Luck
thanks, and consistent info from what I have been reading as well. My worry is going too cheap, and getting just that. As mentioned above, hoping Apple is indeed the price we got over the phone tonight, and will let them do it once they open up