• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2022 11:55 am
[OP]
Sep 7, 2010
257 posts
139 upvotes
T.Dot

Battery replacement on cell phones

Okay, I am curious to know from fellow RFDers who actually purchases a new phone, or who goes about replacing the battery only.

I'm not looking into a new phone yet, but when I do, I want to keep it for quite some time and just replace the battery. For iPhones, this is a no-brainer because Apple allows updates for X? number of years whereas Samsung (I know there are more Android hardware manufacturers but Sammy is the biggest) only gives updates for...2-3 years? I'm getting old and am caring less for the tech - I just want something that works well and has the security updates to keep the phone functional and safe. This is leading me to believe that iPhones may be the better choice in this regards. Thoughts anyone?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37666 posts
5415 upvotes
Winnipeg
Last time I tried to replace battery was for ipod, never bothered replacing battery on a phone, they last the life time of the phone which is 3 years. The phone stops getting updates in 3 years but the battery is still fine, so I leave it as my backup phone and get a new phone.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Jul 17, 2010
348 posts
376 upvotes
Changing battery is equally difficult for any phone these days for DIYer. Of course apple may have better support then other brands. Buy why would you bother spending $$$ on a 3yrs+ phone. Other components have finite life as well, not just the battery.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5854 posts
4393 upvotes
LaLaLand
I have Samsung Galaxy S9 from 2018 and an iPhone 13 from last year. I bought the iPhone because my Samsung would not hold a charge. I ended up replacing the battery in the S9 and it works fine now and can probably go another four years. However the last security update was earlier this year. It was good for over four years. I assume my iPhone will last about the same length of time.

I don't think the lack of security updates is all that bad. It should be fairly secure as long as one does not download random apps, surf questionable websites, click on unknown links or use public wifi.
Dec 30, 2017
47 posts
18 upvotes
Calgary AB
If you want a long-lasting phone without too much money or hopping over to Apple, you can opt for the current batch of Samsungs. Even the cheapo models are promising 5 years of updates and most have large batteries (5000mAh) so it is feasible that you can hang on to the phone for up to 5 years assuming the quality of the internal components are decent. I'm currently using an A53 5G and am very curious as to how long it will last. Currently I get a full 2 days of battery life so that sounds promising.

As for using phones for a long time, I still have a couple of Motorola G5's that were purchased in 2018 and still in use. Not doing much other than calling and social media apps but they're doing fine so far, the main downside being limited storage space for apps which is mitigated by using a high-speed SD card and assigning it as internal storage (not all phones can do this though).

I've attempted battery replacement a couple of times back in the day (Google Nexus 5 and Moto G 2nd gen) and was successful, mainly thanks to people who posted pictures/walk-through instructions/videos online, along with having a bag of cell phone repair tools that cost in the $10-15 range. It is a fun thing to do but definitely be prepared for the worst case, i.e., that you'll wreck the phone.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23563 posts
5721 upvotes
Toronto
I vote for IPhone…..

On average, iPhones get updates for around 6-8yrs from the below article:

https://www.knowyourmobile.com/user-gui ... date-list/

If you find your iPhone battery not lasting or has poor battery health, Apple replaces for a reasonable fee ($89 + taxes for IPhone 12 Pro for example):

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/iphone/ ... eplacement
[OP]
Sep 7, 2010
257 posts
139 upvotes
T.Dot
I am not sure which phones you are referring to, but I am pretty sure that good phones in general, at least the ones that I have owned, last longer than 3 years. I have a few old ones kicking around that still hold a charge - just not a very good one.

As much as I ‘d like to DIY, I’d never do that with this type of hardware - far too diffucult and takes way too much time. This is where you spend money and let a professional to do it. Just like you would pay a mechanic to repair your brakes, a surgeon to take care of a whatever…a dentist etc…some thing you just have to pay for,
divx wrote: Last time I tried to replace battery was for ipod, never bothered replacing battery on a phone, they last the life time of the phone which is 3 years. The phone stops getting updates in 3 years but the battery is still fine, so I leave it as my backup phone and get a new phone.
bundy5555 wrote: Changing battery is equally difficult for any phone these days for DIYer. Of course apple may have better support then other brands. Buy why would you bother spending $$$ on a 3yrs+ phone. Other components have finite life as well, not just the battery.
[OP]
Sep 7, 2010
257 posts
139 upvotes
T.Dot
Good point about the security websites. i didn’t think about that…but…I like ‘those’ questionable websites. LOL
batcave wrote: I have Samsung Galaxy S9 from 2018 and an iPhone 13 from last year. I bought the iPhone because my Samsung would not hold a charge. I ended up replacing the battery in the S9 and it works fine now and can probably go another four years. However the last security update was earlier this year. It was good for over four years. I assume my iPhone will last about the same length of time.

I don't think the lack of security updates is all that bad. It should be fairly secure as long as one does not download random apps, surf questionable websites, click on unknown links or use public wifi.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37666 posts
5415 upvotes
Winnipeg
ji2o0k wrote: I vote for IPhone…..
On average, iPhones get updates for around 6-8yrs from the below article:
https://www.knowyourmobile.com/user-gui ... date-list/
If you find your iPhone battery not lasting or has poor battery health, Apple replaces for a reasonable fee ($89 + taxes for IPhone 12 Pro for example):
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/iphone/ ... eplacement
That is reasonable for iphone, but I don't see any issues with samsung phones either. Also, xiaomi phone is alright too. I only dislike LG phones.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
3199 posts
1076 upvotes
Scarborough
Keep an eye out for Pixel 6A or 7 during boxing day, Support until 2027.

People reselling their phones from carriers to lower monthly costs.

6A 350-400
7 600

I take it that battery replacement is not cheap and longevity is questionable.