Entertainment

Battlestar Galactica now available on Prime Video

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2020 2:01 am
May 12, 2009
468 posts
1016 upvotes

Battlestar Galactica now available on Prime Video

All four seasons of Battlestar Galactica are now available on Prime Video. Was wondering if I should post this to Hot deals section, considering that prior to this you'd have to buy the DVDs or Blu-rays to watch it.

What confused me though is that the first episode of the first season starts with "Previously on Battlestar Galactica"... how can that be?
23 replies
Dec 14, 2016
914 posts
949 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
horiah00 wrote: What confused me though is that the first episode of the first season starts with "Previously on Battlestar Galactica"... how can that be?
I'm not able to check my Prime account right now, but I'm guessing they have the seasons, but not the 2003 two-part miniseries which sets up the series proper.
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1782 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto
For some reason Amazon didn't get the rights to the mini-series or the two movies (Razor and The Plan. ) The movies can be skipped, the mini-series cannot.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
That's great. Excellent show and I'd like to rewatch it. I already have the two-part miniseries so I'm good.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10747 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
Confirmed by justwatch, thanks, it's 1 of these shows I never watched past the 1st season and have really wanted to, weekend binge-mode is now on.

https://www.justwatch.com/ca/tv-show/ba ... -galactica
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2017
1344 posts
324 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
Make sure you watch the plan and blood and chrome.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
I can once again use words like "sitrep" in my daily vocabulary.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
mr_raider wrote: I can once again use words like "sitrep" in my daily vocabulary.
Frakking awesome!
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
ConsoleWatcher wrote: Frakking awesome!
Honey what's for dinner? Did the boy start his homework? Does the baby need a diaper change?

Nope. Just walk in and say "sitrep"!
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
brandonly wrote: Make sure you watch the plan and blood and chrome.
Crave had it also a few years ago. They put razor out of sequence at the end of the season.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17869 upvotes
GTA, ON
brandonly wrote: Make sure you watch the plan and blood and chrome.
Razor as well, but only after finishing watching S3 so you can fill in the background story of it's crew and all the happenings between before when Pegasus joined the fleet and then it's eventual departure.

mr_raider wrote: Crave had it also a few years ago. They put razor out of sequence at the end of the season.
I don't have Crave, but when did the put Razor into the play sequence? Razor should be watched between season 3 and 4.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
chimaican wrote: Razor as well, but only after finishing watching S3 so you can fill in the background story of it's crew and all the happenings between before when Pegasus joined the fleet and then it's eventual departure.

I don't have Crave, but when did the put Razor into the play sequence? Razor should be watched between season 3 and 4.
Crave removed it f on their lineup. I can't check.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
One of my favourite reboots. First 2 seasons were awesome. 3rd season felt bit lost.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10747 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
The Canterbury Tail wrote: For some reason Amazon didn't get the rights to the mini-series or the two movies (Razor and The Plan. ) The movies can be skipped, the mini-series cannot.
Actually Prime does offer the miniseries, it's just a separate listing and curiously doesn't show up under the same listing as the 4 seasons. I only found it by saying "Alexa find Battlestar Galactica"

For those like me binging this with access to the 3 movies the sequence is:

- After s02e17 watch "Razor"

- After s04e15 watch "The Plan"

- After s04 watch "Blood and Chrome"
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1782 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote: Actually Prime does offer the miniseries, it's just a separate listing and curiously doesn't show up under the same listing as the 4 seasons. I only found it by saying "Alexa find Battlestar Galactica"

For those like me binging this with access to the 3 movies the sequence is:

- After s02e17 watch "Razor"

- After s04e15 watch "The Plan"

- After s04 watch "Blood and Chrome"
That's new, wasn't there when they added the main series.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
the movies were good additions. Really liked Razor as it filled in the blanks to a lot of stuff that happened.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
3741 posts
3965 upvotes
Toronto
I love BattleSex Galactica! Hawt banes in sapce!
Dec 14, 2016
914 posts
949 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
I don't know about previous airings of BSG on Crave or wherever else it was showing, but the Prime version has been edited down. My recent binge was my very first go-around with the series, but I started noticing that the recaps showed bits that I never saw when watching the whole episodes.

This became blindingly apparent with S4's 'Daybreak', pt 3 (or pt 2 for those of you who use the broadcast numbering). I still haven't seen the uncut/broadcast version of the episode, but from what I've read, it's missing at least one rather significant scene.

************ S P O I L E R S ***************

- The fate of the Chief isn't shown in the Prime version. The last we see of him is when he unleashes all of his rage on Tory on the CIC. The bit with him going off by himself after they land on Earth Mk II is completely missing. I'm wondering if there was any other mention of Cally in the episode that may have been edited out.

- We only see Roslin having the conversation about dating a young guy. The scene with her sleeping with her former student isn't shown on Prime.

************ E N D S P O I L E R S ***************

I think there were other cuts as well, but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

As I mentioned, this was my first go with the series. I thought the miniseries + the first two-plus seasons were brilliant and some of the finest science fiction television produced after the turn of the millennium.

Then came the New Caprica storyline, which I thought was pretty daring and liked it for what it was. The bit in the S2 finale where Baltar puts his on the desk was really inspired.

After the Galactica resumes its search for Earth in S3, there were a few good one-off episodes, but I thought the show was really starting to lose its way. By the time S4 came along, things got so bleak that the show became an endurance test. S4 is an excellent example of a show that shouldn't be binged what with all the anguish and characters constantly hitting the bottle. (I'm guessing at least one of the ships in the fleet was always producing alcohol given the amount the crew consumes.)

By the time they got to the wrap-up in 'Daybreak' and tried to tie up the loose ends, I was so done with the show. I only powered through S4 to get to the end, and that conclusion really wasn't what I call satisfying.

I know there are fans who loved BSG from start to finish, but I can't say I'm one of those people. I didn't care for what the show turned into and quite frankly thought they could've jettisoned a lot of the wheel spinning. I realize this is in hindsight, but I don't think the writing team had enough material for two full seasons for S3 and S4. Had those seasons been 8 or 10 episodes a piece then we might've gotten a tighter story, and maybe a little more consistency so that characters weren't bouncing back and forth between roles. (The way Lee and the Presidency were handled in S4 was particularly bad.) I'll probably still watch the uncut 'Daybreak' if I can find it.

I'm really hoping there's more of a road map laid out for the upcoming reboot. I think coming up with explanations on the fly for the mysteries and then leaning into the divine angle really hurt this incarnation of the show.
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 3, 2005
5295 posts
1266 upvotes
Georgetown
Great show - just recently watched it (watched it all during March/April). The only thing I haven't seen is "The Plan". You are supposed to view it after the Series Finale (the order they were released), but after watching the Finale, things just felt wrapped up and I felt like I had run the marathon of the show so I haven't gone back to watch The Plan yet...

I do have to admit, it was much better than I was expecting. I always expect a bit of camp or some other major flaw with space sci-fi shows, especially ones produced a while back... This really had some more substantial substance and themes woven throughout.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)