Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
3088 posts
419 upvotes

$115/ThinkCentre M73 Tiny/i3-4130/4GB RAM/320GB HDD

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Bauer Systems
Just noticed Bauer Systems got a bunch of these in stock (40 as I'm writing this message). I got one last month to use as an HTPC and it's been flawless. Powerful enough to play HEVC 4K files. They waived the min charge fee for me last time when I spent $215 (their min is $250). If you ask them nicely they might waive it for you :).

They also sell a DP->HDMI adapter for $7 if you need it to carry Video + Audio to your TV. Otherwise you can probably do VGA + 3.5mm Audio Cable instead.
Last edited by Homer88 on May 13th, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
82 replies
Nov 3, 2003
388 posts
84 upvotes
Knowhere
Awesome! Might consider it.

What software do you use for you HTPC?
I'm an ATT Customer ;)
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
16242 posts
21940 upvotes
ONTARIO
Do these guys ever get newer systems? I kinda want a Lenovo M720q (more modern, includes nvme slot). Would love to buy a refurb one.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1034 posts
862 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Homer88 wrote:
May 13th, 2019 3:29 pm
Just noticed Bauer Systems got a bunch of these in stock (40 as I'm writing this message). I got one last month to use as an HTPC and it's been flawless. Powerful enough to play HEVC 4K files. They waived the min charge fee for me last time when I spent $215 (their min is $250). If you ask them nicely they might waive it for you :)
That looks like a nice HTPC option. What do you do about the audio? Looks like it only has VGA and DisplayPort no HDMI or even SPDIF connectors. Only option seems to be routing stereo sound through headphone jack on front which is less than ideal. Or buying an external USB sound card
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
3088 posts
419 upvotes
goozy1 wrote:
May 13th, 2019 4:07 pm
That looks like a nice HTPC option. What do you do about the audio? Looks like it only has VGA and DisplayPort no HDMI or even SPDIF connectors. Only option seems to be routing stereo sound through headphone jack on front which is less than ideal. Or buying an external USB sound card
Oh crap my bad... forgot to mention this in my original post. You can get a DP->HDMI adapter and the HDMI will also carry the audio signal, Bauer Systems sells this adapter as well. It has to be a DP->HDMI adapter because I've tried a DP -> DVI to DVI -> HDMI adapter and it does not carry the sound.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
1443 posts
396 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Wow I would love one. Do they ship to Québec?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
3088 posts
419 upvotes
shinsky wrote:
May 13th, 2019 3:34 pm
Awesome! Might consider it.

What software do you use for you HTPC?
I have a Logitech K830 Keyboard and right now just use Kodi on a Win10 install to watch all my media/IPTV. Later on I'll look into a more seamless option.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
3088 posts
419 upvotes
Clee wrote:
May 13th, 2019 4:13 pm
Wow I would love one. Do they ship to Québec?
I don't see why not! Just ask one of the guys from Bauer for a quote :). They ship by Canpar and I'm sure they don't have any restrictions in Quebec.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1221 posts
4421 upvotes
Homer88 wrote:
May 13th, 2019 4:15 pm
I have a Logitech K830 Keyboard and right now just use Kodi on a Win10 install to watch all my media/IPTV. Later on I'll look into a more seamless option.
Highly recommend FLIRC if you want seamless PC control from your remote. I have one plugged in and dedicate a key on my TELUS Optik remote to launch Kodi, and the arrows and enter button all work seamlessly. A bit pricey, but they're rock solid.
Apr 20, 2004
108 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
By the time you pay for the device, shipping, adapters, FLIRC, remote....are you in the same price range as a ShieldTV? Any advantages to the HTPC vs ShieldTV?
Dec 30, 2008
805 posts
490 upvotes
How do you order on Bauer systems?
Can the ram be upgraded in the m73 tiny?
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
16242 posts
21940 upvotes
ONTARIO
cats_on_burners wrote:
May 13th, 2019 4:33 pm
How do you order on Bauer systems?
I contacted them via one of their email addresses listed at the top of the price sheet.
Asked about one of their systems and if they took interac e-transfer. He got back to me very quickly and said yes and I also got shipping quote.
I confirmed I wanted to order so now I'm just waiting on receiving an invoice.

Edit: m73 takes up to 16GB of ram apparently. So yes, you can upgrade the ram. There will be 2 ram slots.
I am guessing since this is just 4GB, there will be another slot free. So you could add to it or replace the current one.

personally I have a spare compatible 4GB RAM laying around, so I plan to upgrade it to 8GB and then swap out the 320gb hdd with an ssd I also have laying around.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
6575 posts
6905 upvotes
Folks are getting confused and assuming this is a good HTPC, don't be fooled.

This is a good computer for administrators / receptionists if you're willing to nail down the sucker to a desk. I always speak to Mohit or Mitch and make sure they bump these units up to 8GB and swap for an SSD though. Otherwise, good.

God bless.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
16242 posts
21940 upvotes
ONTARIO
redflagdealsguy wrote:
May 13th, 2019 4:41 pm
Folks are getting confused and assuming this is a good HTPC, don't be fooled.

This is a good computer for administrators / receptionists if you're willing to nail down the sucker to a desk. I always speak to Mohit or Mitch and make sure they bump these units up to 8GB and swap for an SSD though. Otherwise, good.

God bless.
And how much extra do they charge for that?