Expired Hot Deals

[Bauer Systems] [Bauer Systems]/$500/Refurb X1 Carbon *3rd* Gen/14" TOUCH 2560x1440/i5-5300U/8GBRAM/128SSD/Win 10 Pro/Updated w/ Review!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2019 11:18 pm
Mar 8, 2016
56 posts
5 upvotes
Glancealot wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 11:15 pm
man I regret that I sold my x1 already, ended up buying another one Face With Tears Of Joy.
I am still on the fence about getting one!
Jan 14, 2019
1 posts
Glancealot wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 11:15 pm
man I regret that I sold my x1 already, ended up buying another one Face With Tears Of Joy.
Ended up getting one myself. Mine is in a little worse condition than yours was. I think you got the optimal unit with your first purcahse.

SSD shows 5000+ hours of use with over 2000 restarts.
Keyboard keys show some shine from use and the screen has some marks from the keyboard.
Battery shows only 9% wear though.
The rest of the case is in pretty much perfect condition.

Overall, I'm still pleased with my purchase. The keyboard and screen are way better than anything I've seen at this price point.
Jul 23, 2018
122 posts
61 upvotes
@Glancealot
Did you get your second unit? How’s the condition?

Does anyone know the max SSD size that can be installed? Are the ones Bauer sell good?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3218 posts
3493 upvotes
OongaLoonga wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 2:30 pm
@Glancealot
Did you get your second unit? How’s the condition?

Does anyone know the max SSD size that can be installed? Are the ones Bauer sell good?
I will receive mine tomorrow.

x1 carbon 3rd gen requires M.2, the ones Bauer sells are 2.5, so no good.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Mar 8, 2016
56 posts
5 upvotes
Glancealot wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 2:31 pm

Let us know about the condition when you get it! I am still on the fence. My 10 y/o Sony Viao is still going strong but I know it will get some kind of terminal illness at some point haha
Jul 23, 2018
122 posts
61 upvotes
Glancealot wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 2:31 pm

Oh ok, thanks.
Know the max size it supports and of any good deals?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3218 posts
3493 upvotes
OongaLoonga wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 3:05 pm
Oh ok, thanks.
Know the max size it supports and of any good deals?
supports at least 512GB. from here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X ... 468#M69317
Thank you for the answer.

Samsung EVO 850 500GB M.2 is already installed in my X1 Gen3.

Process of swapping the SSDs was flawless.

I used Macrium Reflect (free version) to create bootable USB, then made image of original SSD to external HDD.

Switched boot order and it worked like a charm.

In the 'booted' Macrium software it was enough to select image source, from USB HDD, destination and extend the partition (as original ssd was 256GB) and few minutes later all was done.

Replacement of SSD was also easy - seven small screws plus one more for SSD.

Maybe it will help somebody in the future Smiley Happy
smartchow wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 2:53 pm
Let us know about the condition when you get it! I am still on the fence. My 10 y/o Sony Viao is still going strong but I know it will get some kind of terminal illness at some point haha
Will do.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Sep 23, 2006
85 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver
on the fence for the X1 Carbon 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD...anyone know how bad or have pics of the "MINOR LCD MARKS", Cost for shipping to Vancouver?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
3333 posts
1225 upvotes
Toronto
Can these guys go ahead and open an ebay account already? I mean it's 2019 and we're working off a spreadsheet, need to phone in and give your credit/shipping info, or have to go in person. For a business dealing with computers, they sure are behind and would sell a lot more if there was a better means to purchase.

Btw, what is stopping them from creating a simple ebay store or dellrefurb/refurbio like site? :facepalm:
Mar 8, 2016
56 posts
5 upvotes
deereal wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 8:18 pm
on the fence for the X1 Carbon 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD...anyone know how bad or have pics of the "MINOR LCD MARKS", Cost for shipping to Vancouver?

Thanks!
Can't comment on how bad the "minor LCD marks" are on the screens but I got a shipping quote from them for shipping to Surrey (so I would assume it would be the same for you) of $35 + GST
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2423 posts
988 upvotes
GTA
Troy_McClure wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 8:38 pm
Can these guys go ahead and open an ebay account already? I mean it's 2019 and we're working off a spreadsheet, need to phone in and give your credit/shipping info, or have to go in person. For a business dealing with computers, they sure are behind and would sell a lot more if there was a better means to purchase.

Btw, what is stopping them from creating a simple ebay store or dellrefurb/refurbio like site? :facepalm:
I agree, a little modernization would be nice but they are probably of the opinion that decent prices and great customer service has worked for them so far. If they went the eBay route they would have to offer PayPal and pass both additional costs on to their customers! They aren't for everyone but I'll gladly use them (and recommend them) just as they are!
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
3333 posts
1225 upvotes
Toronto
bvit6667 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 9:10 pm
I agree, a little modernization would be nice but they are probably of the opinion that decent prices and great customer service has worked for them so far. If they went the eBay route they would have to offer PayPal and pass both additional costs on to their customers! They aren't for everyone but I'll gladly use them (and recommend them) just as they are!
I understand the whole saving costs thing, but if they're too cheap to create their own site (so they don't have to pay ebay), what else might they be cutting costs on? Are they storing credit/shipping info in a spreadsheet somewhere too? Makes you wonder...

No point having good customer service if you can't get any customers to begin with. I guarantee you this deal would have gone oos already if they had any proper ecommerce site. Additional costs are a moot point if they can't efficiently merchandise on the net, they will sell a lot more volume and can operate with less people cutting their operation costs.

And don't forget about the 15% restocking fee. Paying a few more for an ebay deal (+ possible coupons) you can get near identical pricing + payment safety + free returns (mostly)
May 22, 2015
216 posts
82 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
So just to confirm I have installed the new m.2 SATA western digital blue 1tb. Detected immediately after swapping. Installing windows now. I'll try and give an update in a day or so. Wasn't too impressed with how they cleaned it. Also the power cord is slightly bent at the propitary square connection. Might email about that but otherwise good so far
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11780 posts
1469 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
deereal wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 8:18 pm
on the fence for the X1 Carbon 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD...anyone know how bad or have pics of the "MINOR LCD MARKS",
What are you, nuts? Pay the extra $60 for 1440p IPS multitouch screen. Otherwise, I would assume you're getting the FHD, TN panel. SSD is easy to upgrade.
Jun 16, 2005
73 posts
9 upvotes
Hey guys i'm on the fence between this and the t450s with 12gb ram and 256ssd that Bauer is also selling.
What would you recommend x1 or t450s
Appreciate all the help