Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Bauer Systems] Refurb (&new) Laptops/Desktops/Monitors/SSD/Tablets&Phone/with mini buying guide

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 11:35 am
Oct 27, 2016
387 posts
117 upvotes
GTA
blaznazn22 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 10:43 am
I've always had a thing for the x220, but could never afford it. I had an x120e at one point and loved it. I upgraded the ram and an SSD also at one point. The issue for me was it was slow af with an old AMD e350 chip if I'm remembering properly. A single core 1.6ghz AMD CPU when AMD was crap. I still loved that freaking laptop but decided to let it go eventually.

Where did you find the x220 for such a cheap price. PM please if you find anymore!!
i got it from Bauer also, they sold it for cheap due to BIOS password.
[removed]
Sep 25, 2016
90 posts
21 upvotes
Team RFD,

been looking for a upgrade from my current computer. How do i know what is a good thinkpad/lenovo to get? I have no problem upgrading ram myself, changing out hard drive, etc. Would prefer something lightweight, but if a heavier computer will give me much better build quality, power etc that is fine. This will be used for lots of writing, powerpoint, and may need to make a HD partition to run ubuntu for some other tasks. I would like a 2.3 ghz processor (or better) and 16gb ram or more (is that a thing?)
Oct 27, 2016
387 posts
117 upvotes
GTA
simko2 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 1:45 pm
Team RFD,

been looking for a upgrade from my current computer. How do i know what is a good thinkpad/lenovo to get? I have no problem upgrading ram myself, changing out hard drive, etc. Would prefer something lightweight, but if a heavier computer will give me much better build quality, power etc that is fine. This will be used for lots of writing, powerpoint, and may need to make a HD partition to run ubuntu for some other tasks. I would like a 2.3 ghz processor (or better) and 16gb ram or more (is that a thing?)
regarding thinkpads - X-series for mobility as these are 12.5in laptop. im a fan of the X-series it suits my needs and bang for the buck. im using an X220 as it has awesome 7row keyboard plus this specs -

Intel 2nd Gen Core i5 2540M
16GB DDR3 RAM
480GB SSD
256GB mSATA SSD
2x USB3.0 ports via expresscard slot
2x USB2.0 ports
Displayport
VGA
Gigabit LAN
Intel 7260 AC
Bluetooth 4.0
Logitech wireless receiver via internal USB mod

i run Fedora29 on it, compile programs, run multiple VMs (CentOS and Windows) and it handles it fine.
[removed]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3218 posts
3492 upvotes
the x1 carbon (3rd gen) is pretty hot at 500, given the screen resolution and touch.

row 153.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Oct 28, 2005
415 posts
187 upvotes
Can someone recommend a desktop system that I can add a GTX 1060 to, to make an affordable gaming PC?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3218 posts
3492 upvotes
I am here to provide another review of bauersystem's laptops.

They posted 2 Latitude E6430 with no hard drive door for less than $100 each, and I picked both up.

both have i5-3210M CPU and dual channel 8GB RAM, one has the discrete GPU of Nvidia NVS 5200M, one has an extended 9 cell battery, one has backlit keyboard. both are in decent physical condition and have a resolution of 1600*900. I could have ordered cheap harddrive doors off ebay that ship all the way from China, but that would have required a wait time of upto two months, so I ordered expensive ones that ship from the US, cost me less than $10 for 5 (i only needed 2) with screws and arrived in less than 2 weeks.

I successfully installed windows 10 pro on these machines using the win 7 pro COA from under the battery.

It took me 2 weeks but I sold both through kijiji for a decent profit. the lesson here is that bauersystem's pricing is quite reasonable, if you pick up some of their machines that have small flaws and fix the issues yourself, install windows 10 pro using the CoA or the Bios license, you can easily make a profit reselling it off kijiji.

some pictures, the black piece with two bright screws in the third picture is the "harddrive door" i picked up from ebay.

tivo_box wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 8:13 am
Can someone recommend a desktop system that I can add a GTX 1060 to, to make an affordable gaming PC?
email/call them and ask!
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Oct 27, 2016
387 posts
117 upvotes
GTA
anyone here who was able to snag that Carbon X1 for $150???
[removed]
Sep 2, 2018
819 posts
791 upvotes
Blainville, QC
ryanrudolf wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 7:03 am
anyone here who was able to snag that Carbon X1 for $150???
Moi. :)
Sep 2, 2018
819 posts
791 upvotes
Blainville, QC
Glancealot wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 3:21 pm
I am here to provide another review of bauersystem's laptops.

They posted 2 Latitude E6430 with no hard drive door for less than $100 each, and I picked both up.

both have i5-3210M CPU and dual channel 8GB RAM, one has the discrete GPU of Nvidia NVS 5200M, one has an extended 9 cell battery, one has backlit keyboard. both are in decent physical condition and have a resolution of 1600*900. I could have ordered cheap harddrive doors off ebay that ship all the way from China, but that would have required a wait time of upto two months, so I ordered expensive ones that ship from the US, cost me less than $10 for 5 (i only needed 2) with screws and arrived in less than 2 weeks.

I successfully installed windows 10 pro on these machines using the win 7 pro COA from under the battery.

It took me 2 weeks but I sold both through kijiji for a decent profit. the lesson here is that bauersystem's pricing is quite reasonable, if you pick up some of their machines that have small flaws and fix the issues yourself, install windows 10 pro using the CoA or the Bios license, you can easily make a profit reselling it off kijiji.

some pictures, the black piece with two bright screws in the third picture is the "harddrive door" i picked up from ebay.

email/call them and ask!
That's Awesome!

Question: I've been trying the approach of DIYing some of these kind of "defective" units using parts from ebay. But most seem to be available from the US (such as the HD doors you picked up) - how do you deal with shipping? All such listing from the US have some silly high shipping and notes around "Customs Charges", etc. Is there a trick I'm missing out on? JFYI: I only recently moved to Canada from the US so all this cross-border stuff is new to me ;)
Oct 27, 2016
387 posts
117 upvotes
GTA
sid8tive wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 9:25 am
Moi. :)
wow you lucky! any cosmetic defects? why so cheap price?
[removed]
Sep 2, 2018
819 posts
791 upvotes
Blainville, QC
ryanrudolf wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 11:38 am
wow you lucky! any cosmetic defects? why so cheap price?
I guess so. Dented palm.
Oct 27, 2016
387 posts
117 upvotes
GTA
sid8tive wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 9:34 am
That's Awesome!

Question: I've been trying the approach of DIYing some of these kind of "defective" units using parts from ebay. But most seem to be available from the US (such as the HD doors you picked up) - how do you deal with shipping? All such listing from the US have some silly high shipping and notes around "Customs Charges", etc. Is there a trick I'm missing out on? JFYI: I only recently moved to Canada from the US so all this cross-border stuff is new to me ;)
fairly new to canada too, i order stuff from US and have it shipped to a US address, then they forward it to canada warehouse and finally i pick it up. look for crossborderpikups.ca hope it helps!
[removed]
Sep 2, 2018
819 posts
791 upvotes
Blainville, QC
ryanrudolf wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 11:41 am
fairly new to canada too, i order stuff from US and have it shipped to a US address, then they forward it to canada warehouse and finally i pick it up. look for crossborderpikups.ca hope it helps!
Oh nice! I will definitely give that a shot! Thank you!
Sep 2, 2018
819 posts
791 upvotes
Blainville, QC
Row 288:
93 1 NOTEBOOK A- DELL LATITUDE E6420 CORE I5/2520m 2.5 4 320 dvdrw 14 W7P AUDIO JACK BAD / INTERNAL SPEAKERS INTERMITTENT $65 immediate

Good for the average DIYer. The USB/Audio daughter board ships for anywhere between $6-14 (Free Ship from China). With some weekend elbow-grease, it would make a nice machine for the price.
Oct 27, 2016
387 posts
117 upvotes
GTA
sid8tive wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 3:38 pm
Row 288:
93 1 NOTEBOOK A- DELL LATITUDE E6420 CORE I5/2520m 2.5 4 320 dvdrw 14 W7P AUDIO JACK BAD / INTERNAL SPEAKERS INTERMITTENT $65 immediate

Good for the average DIYer. The USB/Audio daughter board ships for anywhere between $6-14 (Free Ship from China). With some weekend elbow-grease, it would make a nice machine for the price.
that sounds like a good deal! 2 items need to be replaced - Audio daughter board and speakers?
[removed]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

djangostar