Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Bauer Systems] Refurb (&new) Laptops/Desktops/Monitors/SSD/Tablets&Phone/with mini buying guide

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2019 1:08 pm
Nov 19, 2018
17 posts
6 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Brief review of my latest purchase: Dell e7450 to replace an old zenbook. Overall, it was $420 all in shipped to Vancouver. I reqested W10 Home to be installed for convenience, feel free to follow the methods mentioned by other users.

Laptop came well packaged, and in pristine condition, see Glancealot's pictures of the X1 for condition. Weight of the laptop came in around 3.6lbs. It came with a 128GB SSD, not the supposed 256GB I requested; I've messaged Mohit.

The laptop does get hot from time to time. At one point the CPU hit 80 degrees, but it went back down. Battery wear was only 6%, fired up about 1160 times, # of hours worked not given with SSD Life PRo (see attached image). It also doesn't have the trackpoint and two other click buttons: buyer beware, inquire before you buy.

There is a fingerprint detector, but i suspect there is no hardware for it (it does not show up in Devices). Does anyone know if it can be installed aftermarket, or if its just a driver issue?

I've come to realize there there are no backlit keys. I asssumed it would have backlit keys, so buyer beware; clarify everything. I'm actually quite peturbed by not having it.

Overall, I wish I spent the extra ~$150 and got the Lenovo X1 that Glancealot purchased. I think it would have been worth it for the extra thinness, weight savings, fingerprint reader, backlit keys, and overall quality, which would have made my purchasing experience MUCH better. The combination of these factors, combined with the SSD error and different keyboard layout than expected, made this purchase slightly less pleasurable. Still, Bauer is a reputable dealer and I would buy from them again.
Images
  • HW Monitor,SSD.JPeG
Last edited by phozys on Jan 11th, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
6511 posts
2365 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know if any of the T440s have a 1080p screen? They really need to add a column for resolution..
Sep 2, 2018
562 posts
620 upvotes
Blainville, QC
Quick first impression on the $75 ThinkPad T420 (i7 2640M CPU, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, and that lovely keyboard :) ) that I picked up. (The E6420 has also arrived but haven't gotten to it yet - coming soon)

Listed defects were: No battery, 1x broken USB.
Picked up a battery off of Amazon ($38, incl. S&H, no tax).
The broken USB is part of the USB+eSATA combo port. Placed an order on AliExpress for a replacement part (~$7, incl. S&H from China).

I received the unit in the condition as described with a couple of additional defects:
1. The screen bezel had popped out at the top (probably due to handling during shipping) - I could pop that into place easily. Fixed.
2. One of the screen latch hooks was broken. Won't bother replacing that as it doesn't impair functionality for the cost (~$16 for the pair on AliExpress, incl. S&H from China).
3. The HDD was sitting loose inside the machine - missing caddy and rails. So, it was rattling and bouncing about when moving the machine around. Placed an order on eBay for replacement caddy+rails kit (~$2, incl S&H from China).

So, cost so far:
1. Base Price: $75.
2. Taxes, S&H to QC: ~$20.
3. Battery: $38
4. Parts: $9
TOTAL: $142

TODO:
1. Replace the parts when they come in.
2. Re-paste the CPU

The only thing bumming about the T420 is that the display needs some tweaking/calibration (at least for my picky eyes, lol) as it has higher gamma and a higher yellow tint than desired. Overall a good machine for the total cost/price.
Sep 2, 2018
562 posts
620 upvotes
Blainville, QC
Angultra wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:42 am
Anyone know if any of the T440s have a 1080p screen? They really need to add a column for resolution..
You can check that by inputting the serial number on the Lenovo support site's Search box (hit Enter) (support.lenovo.com). For example:

Row #127 DOES have 1920x1080:
44 NOTEBOOK REFURB THINKPAD T440S 20ARS0FL02 Core i5/4300U 1.9 8 128SSD NA 14 W8P WORN PALM,MINOR LCD MARKS $270 immediate

Result:
Mar 9, 2014
612 posts
636 upvotes
Ottawa
Did anyone notice any new inventory recently? I didn't find a lot of new deals.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3218 posts
3485 upvotes
thought i'd ask here...with an MSI laptop, i have a newly installed 480GB SSD.

I HAVE to change the boot option under bios from UEFI from/to UEFI with CSM upon a cold-boot or it will NOT boot into windows, just a black screen.

Restart works fine, nothing needs to be done, but if I shut the computer down and do a cold start, I HAVE to change boot option from UEFI to UEFI with CSM or from UEFI with CSM to UEFI (i.e., change one into the other).

This is so weird...
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3744 posts
2603 upvotes
Markham
Glancealot wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:55 am
thought i'd ask here...with an MSI laptop, i have a newly installed 480GB SSD.

I HAVE to change the boot option under bios from UEFI from/to UEFI with CSM upon a cold-boot or it will NOT boot into windows, just a black screen.

Restart works fine, nothing needs to be done, but if I shut the computer down and do a cold start, I HAVE to change boot option from UEFI to UEFI with CSM or from UEFI with CSM to UEFI (i.e., change one into the other).

This is so weird...
I’d start in this order:

- Update UEFI to latest.
- Reset UEFI to default.
- Update SSD firmware.
- Update Intel Management Engine firmware. (Run Driver Booster IMO, not just rely on Intel’s tool)
- Update Intel RST.
- Swap the SSD with another model/brand.
- Changing the CMOS battery with a quality fresh one (NOT Ones off ebay or ax).
- If you have two RAM sticks, remove one and try each one separately.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3744 posts
2603 upvotes
Markham
sid8tive wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:33 am
Quick first impression on the $75 ThinkPad T420 (i7 2640M CPU, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, and that lovely keyboard :) ) that I picked up. (The E6420 has also arrived but haven't gotten to it yet - coming soon)

Listed defects were: No battery, 1x broken USB.
Picked up a battery off of Amazon ($38, incl. S&H, no tax).
The broken USB is part of the USB+eSATA combo port. Placed an order on AliExpress for a replacement part (~$7, incl. S&H from China).

I received the unit in the condition as described with a couple of additional defects:
1. The screen bezel had popped out at the top (probably due to handling during shipping) - I could pop that into place easily. Fixed.
2. One of the screen latch hooks was broken. Won't bother replacing that as it doesn't impair functionality for the cost (~$16 for the pair on AliExpress, incl. S&H from China).
3. The HDD was sitting loose inside the machine - missing caddy and rails. So, it was rattling and bouncing about when moving the machine around. Placed an order on eBay for replacement caddy+rails kit (~$2, incl S&H from China).

So, cost so far:
1. Base Price: $75.
2. Taxes, S&H to QC: ~$20.
3. Battery: $38
4. Parts: $9
TOTAL: $142

TODO:
1. Replace the parts when they come in.
2. Re-paste the CPU

The only thing bumming about the T420 is that the display needs some tweaking/calibration (at least for my picky eyes, lol) as it has higher gamma and a higher yellow tint than desired. Overall a good machine for the total cost/price.
If you let Mohit or your sales rep know about the undocumented defects, they are very good at making it cost neutral for you to fix those issues.
Sep 2, 2018
562 posts
620 upvotes
Blainville, QC
X24Secret wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 12:56 pm
If you let Mohit or your sales rep know about the undocumented defects, they are very good at making it cost neutral for you to fix those issues.
Yes, but that usually applies only to the regular units. Not the A- ones. I have had similar issues before but they usually only neutralize the cost for non A- units (that's the response I got previously).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6385 posts
1200 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Looking to replace my parents 6 year old desktop with something they can use for internet browsing/MS Word, running on Win7 - a SSD would be nice.
Anyone have recommendations on what to buy from the master list on here please?

They don't need a keyboard, mouse or monitor if that makes any difference.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3744 posts
2603 upvotes
Markham
newt_101 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 2:59 pm
Looking to replace my parents 6 year old desktop with something they can use for internet browsing/MS Word, running on Win7 - a SSD would be nice.
Anyone have recommendations on what to buy from the master list on here please?

They don't need a keyboard, mouse or monitor if that makes any difference.
What’s the current specs?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3218 posts
3485 upvotes
X24Secret wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 12:53 pm
I’d start in this order:

- Update UEFI to latest.
- Reset UEFI to default.
- Update SSD firmware.
- Update Intel Management Engine firmware. (Run Driver Booster IMO, not just rely on Intel’s tool)
- Update Intel RST.
- Swap the SSD with another model/brand.
- Changing the CMOS battery with a quality fresh one (NOT Ones off ebay or ax).
- If you have two RAM sticks, remove one and try each one separately.
I tried some of these. I think the problem is a burnt GPU or a partially fried motherboard, which is why HDMI, headphones jack, speakers all refuse to work.

other than that, extremely impressed by i7-4710HQ.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3744 posts
2603 upvotes
Markham
Glancealot wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:15 pm
I tried some of these. I think the problem is a burnt GPU or a partially fried motherboard, which is why HDMI, headphones jack, speakers all refuse to work.

other than that, extremely impressed by i7-4710HQ.
Yea tbh it sounds like a hardware issue. I don’t think mobo itself is damaged. The UEFI chip is more likely to be source of the problem. Maybe even a bad connection to PCB so if you feel adventurous have a close look at it.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2737 posts
422 upvotes
Toronto
X24Secret wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 12:57 am
Yea tbh it sounds like a hardware issue. I don’t think mobo itself is damaged. The UEFI chip is more likely to be source of the problem. Maybe even a bad connection to PCB so if you feel adventurous have a close look at it.
What do you mean by "the UEFI chip"? UEFI is just firmware and it lives in a EEPROM, just like the old BIOS used to. If that EEPROM is burned out, you are unlikely to be able to boot the machine.

If the CMOS battery is marginal, some or all of the UEFI firmware settings can decay (get changed randomly).

If you update the UEFI firmware, you really should reset the UEFI firmware settings because there is a chance that the fields of the CMOS memory get interpreted differently by the new firmware.

Perhaps you mean that you think that the firmware itself is flaky. This might be the case if the machine is old enough: UEFI mode might not have been debugged. But at this point, that has to be quite old. If I remember correctly, Win 8 licensing required OEMs to deliver systems booting with UEFI out of the box. Not being a Windows user, I might be wrong about when that happened.

The list you gave was very good and quite useful. I might have put checking the CMOS battery a bit higher (3 volts).

I agree with you that connectors are very often a problem. For example, I've fixed a number of computers by just unplugging and plugging in connectors (including RAM).

I would guess that HDMI out and audio out are separate circuits and thus separate failures. But perhaps not. After all, sound can come through HDMI. I also don't really understand how the integrated Intel GPU and the discrete NVidia GPU share responsibilities.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3218 posts
3485 upvotes
I opened up the unit and the GPU looked clean and not burnt at all, so this is very frustrating. thank you all for the help!

I am not handy enough to replace the CMOS battery.

I think what is going to happen is I will sell it in its current condition (i bumped the RAM to 16GB and swapped out the 500GB mechanical drive with a 480GB Kingston SSD) for a small profit (17.3 IPS FHD, i7HQ, 16GB RAM, 480GB SSD, backlit English keyboard is fairly easy to sell on kijiji, already have a few offers).

edit: sold the machine for $500 through kijiji. had to throw in a beats X though.

buyer didn't want the 480GB SSD (so I swapped in the 500GB mechanical drive in front of her) Given that the x240 that I traded this with had a cost of around $300, beats X cost me $90 (after tax), I made a profit of around $100, which paid for the 480GB SSD that I picked up for $100 (after tax) from bestbuy!

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/kingston-technology-kingston-ssdnow-uv400-480gb-550mb-s-sata-revision-3-0-solid-state-drive-suv400s3b7a-480g/10436841.aspx

edit: forgot about the 4GB->8GB ram stick upgrade I did, that's only like $15 i would say.
Last edited by Glancealot on Jan 16th, 2019 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bitcoin will crash hard.