Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Bauer Systems] Refurb (&new) Laptops/Desktops/Monitors/SSD/Tablets&Phone/with mini buying guide

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2019 10:18 pm
Dec 3, 2009
172 posts
25 upvotes
Burlington
Angultra wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:42 am
Anyone know if any of the T440s have a 1080p screen? They really need to add a column for resolution..

The T440s i got before xmas was 1080p . Best to confirm before by email.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6237 posts
1090 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
X24Secret wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 5:44 pm
What’s the current specs?
Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33 GHz - 4GB RAM running on a Win7 (64-bit)

Is there something they should upgrade to for their basic needs, or would swapping in a SSD and doing a Win reinstall do the trick?
Their computer is about 6 years old.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3647 posts
2447 upvotes
Markham
newt_101 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 3:41 pm
Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33 GHz - 4GB RAM running on a Win7 (64-bit)

Is there something they should upgrade to for their basic needs, or would swapping in a SSD and doing a Win reinstall do the trick?
Their computer is about 6 years old.
I think you were right, at this point I’d swap out with any of the many options Bauer offers. C2D is just way too old imo even with an SSD and it chokes with just a bit extra load especially if you have any intention of watching YouTube or any sort of modern streaming.

Any i5/i7 units 2nd generation and up would be fine as a replacement. Upgrade to SSD and 8gb RAM if it doesn’t already come with one.

If you have a budget top I can help you pick a unit.
Sep 2, 2018
367 posts
402 upvotes
Blainville, QC
Picked up 2x of these:
NOTEBOOK REFURB TOSHIBA TECRA TECRA A10 INTEL C2 NA 2 80 DVDRW 15 WVB AS IS, NO AC $20

The chargers cost about $25/ea + $5/ea for an OEM W7P license (+free upgrade to Win10) = ~60/each, all in. I know these are C2D CPUs, but great for basic computing, esp Linux/command-line. I loved the Tecras when they first came out, Magnesium frame, Fingerprint reader. Pretty modern in that regard. The exact model number of the above is PTSB0C-00Q00S. Detailed review coming soon.

As for the earlier Dell E6420 ($65), the audio jack works fine (no issues), but the speakers are intermittent. I have the daughter board on order ($11, from China). Let's see how that goes.
Sep 2, 2018
367 posts
402 upvotes
Blainville, QC
New batch of HDDs (I'm more of a WDC-fan, though):

15 HARD DRIVE REFURB SEAGATE 2TB SEAGATE 3.5" $35 immediate
10 HARD DRIVE REFURB SEAGATE 3TB SEAGATE 3.5" $44 immediate
9 HARD DRIVE REFURB SEAGATE 1.5TB SEAGATE 3.5" $18 immediate
5 HARD DRIVE REFURB SEAGATE 4TB SEAGATE 3.5" $51 immediate
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3178 posts
3284 upvotes
You are on a roll @sid8tive.

time to quit your job and work on this full time? Winking Face

in all seriousness:
sid8tive wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 10:47 am
Picked up 2x of these:
NOTEBOOK REFURB TOSHIBA TECRA TECRA A10 INTEL C2 NA 2 80 DVDRW 15 WVB AS IS, NO AC $20

The chargers cost about $25/ea + $5/ea for an OEM W7P license (+free upgrade to Win10) = ~60/each, all in. I know these are C2D CPUs, but great for basic computing, esp Linux/command-line. I loved the Tecras when they first came out, Magnesium frame, Fingerprint reader. Pretty modern in that regard. The exact model number of the above is PTSB0C-00Q00S. Detailed review coming soon.
i am concerned about thermal paste, dusty fan, battery life (if any), and the resolution...but I guess you don't have too much to lose if you can flip them on kijiji after all said and done.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Sep 2, 2018
367 posts
402 upvotes
Blainville, QC
Glancealot wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:56 pm
You are on a roll @sid8tive.

time to quit your job and work on this full time? Winking Face

in all seriousness:

i am concerned about thermal paste, dusty fan, battery life (if any), and the resolution...but I guess you don't have too much to lose if you can flip them on kijiji after all said and done.
Haha. I'm not sure about being on a roll, lol.

Jokes aside, yes, those are valid concerns. But I anyway will re-paste the CPU (for example) and clean the heatsink/fan if I see higher than normal temps. As for things like resolution/battery life, they only are a concern if the machine is used as a portable (rather than a "desktop") and/or doing visually demanding work. And yeah, I will flip once I'm done tinkering with :) I do this for fun more than anything else, so even if it goes for the same it cost me, I'm okay. #scratchingAnItch.
Oct 28, 2005
378 posts
153 upvotes
I'm looking for a fast PC (i5 or i7) with 16GB RAM and must have 4 SATA connectors on the motherboard. Does anyone know if any of their Lenovo or Dell SFF desktops have these features?
Oct 27, 2016
315 posts
87 upvotes
GTA
sid8tive wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 9:34 am
Haha. I'm not sure about being on a roll, lol.

Jokes aside, yes, those are valid concerns. But I anyway will re-paste the CPU (for example) and clean the heatsink/fan if I see higher than normal temps. As for things like resolution/battery life, they only are a concern if the machine is used as a portable (rather than a "desktop") and/or doing visually demanding work. And yeah, I will flip once I'm done tinkering with :) I do this for fun more than anything else, so even if it goes for the same it cost me, I'm okay. #scratchingAnItch.

not from bauer, but i recenlty got a vintage and in good condition IBM Thinkpad T41p for FREE after i helped a co-worker transplant a new keyboard in his X240. It's running 1GB ram, 60GB IDE hdd and XP. i've ordered upgrade kits in ebay - 2GHz CPU, 2x1GB RAM, and ide-to-msata adapter for storage. all-in-all for 30cad shipped its a good way to scratch an itch!
[removed]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1654 posts
267 upvotes
Kitchener
Are there any good tiny form factors for use as an htpc?
Sep 2, 2018
367 posts
402 upvotes
Blainville, QC
ryanrudolf wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 8:24 am
not from bauer, but i recenlty got a vintage and in good condition IBM Thinkpad T41p for FREE after i helped a co-worker transplant a new keyboard in his X240. It's running 1GB ram, 60GB IDE hdd and XP. i've ordered upgrade kits in ebay - 2GHz CPU, 2x1GB RAM, and ide-to-msata adapter for storage. all-in-all for 30cad shipped its a good way to scratch an itch!
That's awesome!
Sep 2, 2018
367 posts
402 upvotes
Blainville, QC
So, about those Tecra A10 units I picked up, here's a quick review:

The units are both in very good condition for their age, some blemishes on the lid and mouse button (as expected for something over a decade old). The keyboard is Canadian Bilingual, and in very good condition, minor wear only.

The CPU (Core2Duo 8400) doesn't need re-pasting as the temps are staying under 40C on average with the fan not audible at all. The HDD is a 160 GB (not 80 GB as was listed) SATA 5400 RPM drive, so certainly on the slower side.

The units have a nice amount of ports/connectivity options as well as a DVDRW drive.

I was able to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 and activate using Win7 Pro keys I picked up off of eBay. RAM usage stays at about 75%, that's normal since total RAM is only 2GB. Mulling over if I should bump it to 4GB. Rumor has it that upgrading the BIOS on this would allow a total of 8GB max RAM - but I am unable to find any updates on Toshiba's site, so definitely some investigation is needed in that area. Another interesting thing: it has a COM port - useful for folks who love dabbling in physical computing and such (Arduino, advanced flashing of routers, etc.) - saves the trouble of buying those USB > COM adapters.

Overall, certainly a capable machine for the price (20 + 25 for the AC adapter + 5 for the Win license + shipping/taxes = ~60). An additional 2GB would bump the cost up by $10, and swapping out the HDD for an SSD would make the thing fly for another $30.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2003
4730 posts
197 upvotes
picked up an x1 carbon 4th gen for my first year college son.

paid for the extra win10 license and install as i'm too old to fiddle around for a few hours massaging a laptop anymore.

picked up a laptop lock and i'll give him a decent bag and away he goes. For ~ 580 shipped to bc i'm happy.

Also getting too old to get the best deal possible ... this deal will do just fine, do they have an RFD retirement group?

thanks to the op.
He .... looka lika MAN!

I tell you every ting!

----------------------------------------------------

If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Jul 23, 2018
55 posts
17 upvotes
miss_swan wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 5:57 pm
picked up an x1 carbon 4th gen for my first year college son.

paid for the extra win10 license and install as i'm too old to fiddle around for a few hours massaging a laptop anymore.

picked up a laptop lock and i'll give him a decent bag and away he goes. For ~ 580 shipped to bc i'm happy.

Also getting too old to get the best deal possible ... this deal will do just fine, do they have an RFD retirement group?

thanks to the op.
From Bauer? The X1 Carbon's they have are all 3rd gen, aren't they?
Sep 2, 2018
367 posts
402 upvotes
Blainville, QC
Just showed up:

1 SFF REFURB DELL ALIENWARE X51 X51 R2 Core i5/4460 8 2TB DVDRW dual dvi/mini hdmi, s/n 6qv9d42 $300 immediate