Expired Hot Deals

[BauerSystems] $680/Manufacturer (Dell) Open Box/FHD touch/13.3" 2-in-1/Chromebook/256GB NVME/16GB RAM/8th Gen i5

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 3:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3422 posts
4010 upvotes

$680/Manufacturer (Dell) Open Box/FHD touch/13.3" 2-in-1/Chromebook/256GB NVME/16GB RAM/8th Gen i5

Retailer:
BauerSystems
This is a $3k, business grade laptop for those who aren't aware of the latitude line, you are getting a new one at 25% of the price.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-hKAmQahPcEV_h5mwflWGLWCQtqkKOBDbsakv4ee2u0/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-hKAmQahPcEV_h5mwflWGLWCQtqkKOBDbsakv4ee2u0/

Link to price sheet above, see row 110ish (list is constantly updated) of the linked page
33 CHROMEBOOK DELL OPEN LATITUDE 2n1 5300 Core i5/8365U 16 256NVME NA 13 TOUCH CHROME DELL OPEN BOX - 1 YEAR WARRANTY -FULL HD $680 immediate
Shipping varies but if you are in Ontario, you can do free pick up. only 33 left, they won't last long given the COVID-19 situation.

Also, last time I bought from them, they gave me 50% off shipping when I spent over $500 (Although with COVID-19, their profit margin may be smaller due to highly inflated bulk prices)

Please confirm with them if you have provincial tax exemption before you order. ("We are registered in Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, PEI and New Brunswick for provincial taxes so in all other provinces we only charge federal tax of 5%.")

Purchase/contact information is on top of the google doc link above (last time I Just called Mohit and ordered over the phone or you can just email him), but if you want more details about this store (Bauer Systems), visit my previous thread from the ongoing deals section:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/bauer-systems-refurb-new-laptops-desktops-monitors-ssd-tablets-phone-mini-buying-guide-2167072/

Last edited by Glancealot on Sep 16th, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
37 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12962 upvotes
Chromebook in the title would have been helpful.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3422 posts
4010 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Chromebook in the title would have been helpful.
Added a paragraph in the post to address that.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Jun 19, 2006
557 posts
54 upvotes
Vancouver
Would we be able to install Zorin OS on this machine?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12962 upvotes
Glancealot wrote: Added a paragraph in the post to address that.
Title would still be more helpful. I'm interested if it was a regular PC.
Chromebook? Hard no.

Also unless something has drastically changed that I missed, once a chromebook always a chromebook.
Windows isn't an option unless it's hackable. Even if it is, it's not for the average user to do.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3422 posts
4010 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Title would still be more helpful. I'm interested if it was a regular PC.
Chromebook? Hard no.

Also unless something has drastically changed that I missed, once a chromebook always a chromebook.
Windows isn't an option unless it's hackable. Even if it is, it's not for the average user to do.
what's stopping the user from, say, replacing the SSD with another SSD that has windows 10 pre-loaded? anyways, changed title.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2463 posts
1682 upvotes
Glancealot wrote: what's stopping the user from, say, replacing the SSD with another SSD that has windows 10 pre-loaded? anyways, changed title.
Is it possible to confirm that it's just that easy? Usually chromebooks can't be converted to windows. Though usually the processor is not Intel. I guess it's locked by the BIOS. And then you can't get windows drivers for the components
Jan 26, 2015
4 posts
10 upvotes
Vancouver
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Is it possible to confirm that it's just that easy? Usually chromebooks can't be converted to windows. Though usually the processor is not Intel. I guess it's locked by the BIOS. And then you can't get windows drivers for the components
Quick googling suggests that no, it's not that easy. At least not for this particular board.

Driver support for Windows looks to be spotty, and you'd have to look into loading the UEFI firmware yourself. I haven't spent much time researching this, but what I have (or haven't) found tells me that getting Windows on this Chromebook seems to be quite involved.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1889 posts
1093 upvotes
Markham
Got super excited thinking its W10 laptop.. Never knew Latitude line has Chromebook.
Thanks everyone did the research and inform we cannot migrate it to W10 easily.
Man, the spec is very good for this price.
-------
Thank you
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34005 posts
19867 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm confused...
Are you comparing the Chromebook to the $3K laptop?
May 19, 2017
256 posts
279 upvotes
Imagine paying $3k for those specs, looks like some lenovo pricing to me Face With Tears Of Joy
Jul 16, 2008
283 posts
82 upvotes
ON
With that much money, can't you buy a new Chromebook?

Quick search at Costco.ca have both HP and Asus FHD with less ram and small HDD.

New vs refurbished
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3422 posts
4010 upvotes
It is new guys...
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Sep 6, 2009
437 posts
532 upvotes
Chromebooks have BIOS locked to Google OS. You can't just install Windows on it straight out.
Jan 20, 2003
120 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
I'm in the market for a couple of Chromebooks for kids. These seem like fairly well-built laptops with acceptable screens, good battery life, and generally decent specs. The build quality of some of the lower-end Chromebooks seems pretty suspect.
What am I missing here?