Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Bay Bloor Radio

Sennheiser HD800 $1,199.95

Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4760 posts
383 upvotes
Wow, $1200! I love my music (use a HD650) but I do not think I can truly appreciate the sounds $1200 would buy me. Ears are not that pro. :)
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1896 posts
181 upvotes
plebeian wrote: BALLER!

I was looking at getting a woo, but Canada Computers (which was the only retailer in Canada that used to stock their amps) stopped carrying them.

Know any retailers that carry woo in Canada, or do I have to take a trip to the states?

I really want a wa7 so I never have to worry about a dac or an amp again.
Now you've gone and done. I now want a WA7 to drive my HD600's.

Thanks for nothing. :)
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3733 posts
2064 upvotes
Fun test for anyone in here using the HD800's (or any other headphones/speakers for that matter):

Was reading through another thread relating to a deal on some HD598's and noticed a post by the OP, recommending a test with a jazz instrumental piece sampled at 24bit/192khz. The OP's post on this is at:

sennheiser-hd-598-burl-wood-headphones- ... st17867461

The links provided at that post are:

http://soundkeeperrecordings.com/format.htm - The page from which the files can be downloaded.

http://soundkeeperrecordings.com/tracks ... -24192.zip - Goes directly to the 24/192 version of "Maria".

I've been re-reading on and revisiting the apparent debate about anything above 16/48. Fascinating stuff. By now, I am guessing everyone here has read:

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I have a Jolida FX Tube DAC that I am currently using for serious music listening (speakers not headphones). The DAC can handle up to 24/192 but not via USB (which is what I use to feed it from one of the music sources I use). It only handles 24/192 when using coax or optical. That said, the DAC can do 24/96 via USB. I am going to run some comparison tests over the next week and see whether I can tell the difference between some identical material @ 16/48 and 24/96. I did do a quick comparison using headphones this morning but didn't have time to listen very carefully. Also, I was using ATH-AD700 via a FiiO E10 (which is limited to 24/96). I thought I might be able to hear a slight difference (between the 16/44 sample and the 24/96) when focusing on the cymbals but again, didn't have much time to confirm. If there was a difference, I felt I was going to have to "scrutinize" the samples to find it.

So...does anyone here hear any difference between all three samples? If so, what sounds different, specifically? Regardless of "if not/if so" - which headphones/amp/speakers are you using?
May 20, 2008
151 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
jeff1970 wrote: These headphones are great if you're under 18 and still have 100% of your hearing. Most kids couldn't tell the difference between a $200 set of headphones and a $2,000 set.
I suggest actually trying to listen. HD800 sound nothing like anything for $200. It is impossible not to notice the difference regardless of age.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2304 posts
683 upvotes
Vancouver
FYI, the Questyle CMA800R is on massdrop for $999.99, free shipping to Canada. This is regarded as an excellent amp with the HD800.

all the best.
Jun 24, 2010
305 posts
84 upvotes
BoombasticSloth wrote: FYI, the Questyle CMA800R is on massdrop for $999.99, free shipping to Canada. This is regarded as an excellent amp with the HD800.

all the best.
To buy or not to buy? Alot of comparisons between this amp and the Bryston BHA-1. The latter is made in Canada and has a 20 year warranty.

By the way, I am using a Zana Deux Transformer right now.

[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x48 ... 7/vkts.jpg[/IMG]
Jun 24, 2010
305 posts
84 upvotes
MacBuster wrote: Where does the Wa7 fit in?
I don't have any experience with the WA7, but it is an intergrated solution with amp + DAC at $1,000. The Zana Deux Transformer is discontinued, and is a balanced version of the original Zana Deux. I am using it for both my headphones and my speakers, it has plenty of power. The replacement for this amp is the 2A3, but it is $3,200 to $3,900. A comparable Woo Audio product is the WA22, which fetches around $2,000 used locally.

I truly believe that solid state amps are better technically, and better value for the money, but tube amps have a distinct sound signature of their own.
Banned
Feb 4, 2013
377 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
iownyou wrote: it's all hype + marketing... definitely not worth it
I tired the $500 denons at future shop, massive difference to regular headphones, the way the bass pulses and the sound stage was phenomenal, not to mention it was only an mp3 file. I'm sure these are even better, they're poorly marketed anyways .
Mar 19, 2012
374 posts
81 upvotes
itacosentino wrote: I tired the $500 denons at future shop, massive difference to regular headphones, the way the bass pulses and the sound stage was phenomenal, not to mention it was only an mp3 file. I'm sure these are even better, they're poorly marketed anyways .
my local fs has one with no earpad lol.... Yes, way much better than the $100 ish and $200 ish headphones
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2012
1802 posts
370 upvotes
MacBuster wrote: Where does the Wa7 fit in?
The WA7 is a great little amp/dac, but I wouldn't consider it "next level", you can get much better equipment, but it will likely cost you an arm and an leg.

The WA7's is a tube amp, dac, and has a dedicated linear power supply all for $1000.
Plus it looks gorgeous, and has the baller Woo Audio name.

It is more of an econo solution really.

IMO the WA7 is a good place to get out of this hobby before it consumes your soul.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1402 posts
193 upvotes
I wonder if the Biebs wore these rather than Beats whether he would be arrested less.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
2091 posts
976 upvotes
Scarborough
plebeian wrote: The WA7 is a great little amp/dac, but I wouldn't consider it "next level", you can get much better equipment, but it will likely cost you an arm and an leg.

The WA7's is a tube amp, dac, and has a dedicated linear power supply all for $1000.
Plus it looks gorgeous, and has the baller Woo Audio name.

It is more of an econo solution really.

IMO the WA7 is a good place to get out of this hobby before it consumes your soul.
This hobby is a great way to consume your wallet and piss off your significant other =)
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
2091 posts
976 upvotes
Scarborough
perpetuus wrote: To buy or not to buy? Alot of comparisons between this amp and the Bryston BHA-1. The latter is made in Canada and has a 20 year warranty.

By the way, I am using a Zana Deux Transformer right now.

[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x48 ... 7/vkts.jpg[/IMG]
Damn i'm super jelly..=(

For what it's worth here is my little stack. I have more but these headphones get the most use.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ecKtpDu.jpg[/IMG]
Mar 5, 2007
92 posts
33 upvotes
Hows the HD700 with the Lyr, jono? Been looking to pick up a pair if Razordog Audio gets them in stock :(

May just pick up the 800s if anything...
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
2091 posts
976 upvotes
Scarborough
xxchrno wrote: Hows the HD700 with the Lyr, jono? Been looking to pick up a pair if Razordog Audio gets them in stock :(

May just pick up the 800s if anything...
Love it. You may have to spend an extra $50-$60 to get some better tubes. The stock ones aren't that great.

When I changed the tubes to the orange globes they made quite a noticeable difference.

From what I gather, The HD800s are a lot more analytical and the HD700s are a more 'fun' version...minus all the superior micro detail and soundstage from the HD800.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
You make the HD700 sound like a large downgrade from the HD800.
heatware available upon request
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
I dunno how this worked, but for some reason these discussions have justified a $1300 headphone for me to buy.

Consumerism ownz me.
heatware available upon request
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1887 posts
225 upvotes
GTA
I live in Ottawa and it's pretty hard to demo stuff here.. Do you guys think it'd be weird if I show up at Bay Bloor Radio with my desktop amp, hoping to audition HD800? I'm a girl who is a bit shy to just try stuff without buying, not sure how customer service is at baybloor radio. Also, anyone know which other headphones they have for demo there? I currently use beyer dt880 with ALO PanAm desktop amp, and am sort of itching for an upgrade. Going to Toronto tomorrow so might as well drop by and hear this thing
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2304 posts
683 upvotes
Vancouver
leoben: I don't think it is weird to show up with your own amp to demo their $1300 HP. Personally, I think people should demo HP, especially when they are at this price range. If the retailer does not have the amp that you are planning to drive the HD800 with, then absolutely bring in your own amp. Heck bring in your own dac, and notebook with your music as well. Just let them know when you walk into the store, that you brought in your own equipment to demo their headphone so that nobody mistakens you for leaving the store with "their" equipment.

all the best.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)