• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2019 1:50 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2050 posts
4126 upvotes

[Bay Bloor Radio] Sennheiser HD800S Headphones $1799

I was browsing Bay Bloor Radio's website and stumbled across the HD800S headphones for $1799 ($400 off), which is the lowest price I have seen these for in Canada by at least $100.
I have been out of the high end headphone game for a while, so I am not sure what the headphone community thinks of these compared to the old school HD800.

I demoed these on my last visit to Bay Bloor and they sound really good.
They were more power hungry than I expected and their amp could not really do the headphone justice, so if you plan to buy in store and hope to demo, be warned.

https://baybloorradio.com/sennheiser-au ... nes?page=1
124 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2016
1410 posts
4775 upvotes
Albertariolandbec
Damn. This or 60 PS1 classics. Hmmmm
What's in your wallet?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4188 posts
5431 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Damn. This or mortgage payment
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
1582 posts
629 upvotes
I'm too poor to be in this thread .
Last edited by I RFD on Jun 5th, 2019 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 22, 2017
334 posts
547 upvotes
Haha, these would make sense for people that can make money using these.
Nov 27, 2018
151 posts
281 upvotes
Wow, 2k headphones, damn I don't know when it will be hot enough for me to buy.
Aug 12, 2015
225 posts
139 upvotes
Concord, ON
If I remember correctly, amazon warehouse deals had like-new ones for around 1500.
I don't think the prices on Bay Bloor Radio, amazon or ebay really indicate the true value of high-end headphones. To learn their true values, you should check the classified section of audiophile forums like canuck audio mart.
Also, you'll probably need to spend at least $1000 on tube amp + DAC to drive them properly. If you plan on driving them using portable sources like Macbooks, LG V series, Fiio audio players, HD600 series is a much better choice.
If you want them new, 1800 seems like a fair price given how bad the Canadian dollar is.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2002
1838 posts
343 upvotes
After a certain price point, headphones no longer sound objectively better, just different.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3145 posts
2961 upvotes
Oakville
Civuck wrote: After a certain price point, headphones no longer sound objectively better, just different.
Agree x 100

Exactly, I collect headphones and have spent $4600 so far over 12 years. More than half of them are still worth what I paid so I can easily get my money back especially for the discontinued ones.

Price isn't the deciding factor in quality.

Headphones is very much a personal experience and reviews have done dick all in helping me chose the right ones. You really really have to try them and what I love is the AVS forum connects you with people with whom you can exchange for a week or month your headphones and try them before you buy them.

For the EDM crowd or piano concerto crowd the S Logic ultrasone models are phenomenal and cost $800.

Another thing I would recommend is if you ever do a trip to Japan, you must visit their equivalent of an electronics shop....it's more like Disney Land for tech savvy adults and videophiles/audiophiles, why? They have small rooms to test headphones with various sound tracks. I spent an entire day in one of those rooms and didn't actually buy one remorsefully, but it opened my eyes (ears?) to the world of headphones.

Thanks OP for sharing
-ZdpZ... ;)
Sep 1, 2018
86 posts
98 upvotes
For that price or less you can buy a pair of Totem Sky... There’s a limit for how good headphones can sound. By all means HD800 is one of the best headphones in the market, but imo for that price range you should consider speakers.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2013
1089 posts
396 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I stay with my HD650............ who the fk willing to pay 2k for a headphone
May 18, 2017
21 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
For those outside the audio industry, this is worth 3 weeks all inclusive vacation in several Carribean islands
()__()
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.