Expired Hot Deals

[Bay Bloor Radio] Sennheiser HD800S Headphones $1850, HD660 $520, HD820 $2599

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2020 11:42 pm
Apr 30, 2020
79 posts
64 upvotes
sanapk wrote: I hear they're pretty different but how do you feel the HD700s stack up against the HD650 / HD6xx? Looking at purchasing them but heard that the treble on the HD700s make them pretty unbearable at times. Would be driving it from a Schiit stack.
I've never heard this supposed "treble spike" that some people on the forums are saying about the HD700. To me, the HD700 is one of the best headphones for classical music, so I highly recommend it if you listen to that genre more often. I don't know if it's just herd mentality or what. For example, if I got 100 people that knows nothing of the HD700, and got them to listen to music from different genres, how many of them would report this supposed "treble spike"?

I only suggest that you try out the headphones yourself before the purchase, but I also recognize that it is not a feasible option at this time. It's not all rainbows and unicorns with a better headphone. At the end of the day, it's a very personal cost benefit analysis. One could make the same argument for DACs. Some people say a DAC in the four digits makes a difference, others say that they can't hear anything different. Some people on head-fi say that expensive DACs are just for showing off to strangers on the internet - I wouldn't know because I never got into that game, and have no interest to. A lot of the times, the nuances are in your head. However, that is not to say that headphones / amps / dacs don't make a difference...

I do agree that the HD800S are better than the HD700 (and predecessors). My point is just that, whether that "improvement" would be worth it in the end, would be hard to say if you've never tried the headphones. To avoid any potential disappointment, I'd strongly suggest that you try it out, because you may realize that the massive premium might not be worth it for you in the end.

I've never owned anything else from Sennheiser, so I can't comment.

Posted proof that I do indeed own both headphones, as well as the amp.

As a last note, the HD700 is better than the HD800S in terms of playing certain video games, for example OW. I can tell the direction of a sound very clearly on the HD700, while it is extremely difficult on the HD800S. Be careful what you wish for....
Images
  • image0 (3).jpeg
Nov 15, 2004
436 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP! Just bought the 660s as my first entry to high-end headphones, any recommendations on a DAC/AMP combo?
Last edited by EvolutionIV on May 12th, 2020 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1443 posts
717 upvotes
Montreal
I tried $4000 headphones and I loved them, but I was wondering if it was my own bias, based on the price tag. I went back to my $100 pair, and tinkered with equalizer settings to try to match that sound. I got them to sound almost exactly the same.
I thought I must be losing my hearing. But according to audioholics, there's no correlation between sound quality and price. Sound quality is mainly determined by frequency response; people tend to prefer a neutral curve, which $30 headphones can do accurately, so you don't get better sound by spending more. You can use an app called TB Morphit to mimic the sound of any headphones you want.

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker ... headphones
IBM 701 | germanium diodes | 2000 multiplication or division operations per second | 2048 word memory on 72 tubes, 1024 bits per tube| 38-bit Accumulator | 36-bit Multiplier-Quotient | 2 IBM 726 magnetic tapes - 2x 2 million digit storage
Mar 18, 2008
508 posts
155 upvotes
Noobzilla wrote: I tried $4000 headphones and I loved them, but I was wondering if it was my own bias, based on the price tag. I went back to my $100 pair, and tinkered with equalizer settings to try to match that sound. I got them to sound almost exactly the same.
I thought I must be losing my hearing. But according to audioholics, there's no correlation between sound quality and price. Sound quality is mainly determined by frequency response; people tend to prefer a neutral curve, which $30 headphones can do accurately, so you don't get better sound by spending more. You can use an app called TB Morphit to mimic the sound of any headphones you want.

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker ... headphones
You're assuming all headphone drivers are the same. Not all headphones respond well to equalization. You're also assuming frequency response tells you everything you need to know about the sound. But if you only want to spend $30 on headphones, then just buy the Koss Porta Pro or KSC75. They really do sound very good.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1443 posts
717 upvotes
Montreal
mopex wrote: You're also assuming frequency response tells you everything you need to know about the sound.
What else is there? The article looked at other aspects such as distortion and found it's not an issue with headphones.
I remember reading that drivers only cost $10 at most, so there's nothing to stop $30 headphones from sounding as good more expensive ones.
There's also blind tests showing no correlation between perceived sound quality and price.
IBM 701 | germanium diodes | 2000 multiplication or division operations per second | 2048 word memory on 72 tubes, 1024 bits per tube| 38-bit Accumulator | 36-bit Multiplier-Quotient | 2 IBM 726 magnetic tapes - 2x 2 million digit storage
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3555 posts
485 upvotes
Capindy wrote: Anyone recommend any budget DAP/DAC for headphones like B & W PX?
Waste of money in my opinion, don't bother adding a DAC\Amp to the PX unless you're looking to upgrade to a nice wired set in the future.
Pancakesss wrote: I had the Sennheiser HD700, then I upgraded to the HD800S, both driven by the WA6SE.

In my honest opinion, you have to consider the marginal diminishing returns for higher end headphones. At the end of the day, the audio quality was a bit better, but it was nothing mind blowing.
I went through a similar journey, couldn't get rid of the HD700 fast enough. They are the Grado of the Sennheiser line - amazing for treble heads but if you are even a tiny bit treble sensitive, the HD700 will make your ears bleed and your head hurt.
sanapk wrote: I hear they're pretty different but how do you feel the HD700s stack up against the HD650 / HD6xx? Looking at purchasing them but heard that the treble on the HD700s make them pretty unbearable at times. Would be driving it from a Schiit stack.
I wouldn't compare the 700 and the 6XX line, they are very different signatures and are definitely intended for different audiences. If you're just getting into head-fi, the HD6xx at less than 200USD is one of the best values out there up to triple and quadruple digit headphones ... the law of diminishing returns hits extremely hard above HD6XX (and matching headphones from other brands) ...

This is a decent price on the Sennheisers - do keep in mind that you can't kill Sennheiser headphones even with a nuclear bomb so buying used is also a great way to go when possible :).
Mar 31, 2017
216 posts
205 upvotes
Cress wrote: Waste of money in my opinion, don't bother adding a DAC\Amp to the PX unless you're looking to upgrade to a nice wired set in the future.
Saved me some money I guess. Still requesting you to recommend me any budget dap/dac.
Jan 16, 2020
8 posts
1 upvote
Pancakesss wrote: I've never heard this supposed "treble spike" that some people on the forums are saying about the HD700. To me, the HD700 is one of the best headphones for classical music, so I highly recommend it if you listen to that genre more often. I don't know if it's just herd mentality or what. For example, if I got 100 people that knows nothing of the HD700, and got them to listen to music from different genres, how many of them would report this supposed "treble spike"?

I only suggest that you try out the headphones yourself before the purchase, but I also recognize that it is not a feasible option at this time. It's not all rainbows and unicorns with a better headphone. At the end of the day, it's a very personal cost benefit analysis. One could make the same argument for DACs. Some people say a DAC in the four digits makes a difference, others say that they can't hear anything different. Some people on head-fi say that expensive DACs are just for showing off to strangers on the internet - I wouldn't know because I never got into that game, and have no interest to. A lot of the times, the nuances are in your head. However, that is not to say that headphones / amps / dacs don't make a difference...

I do agree that the HD800S are better than the HD700 (and predecessors). My point is just that, whether that "improvement" would be worth it in the end, would be hard to say if you've never tried the headphones. To avoid any potential disappointment, I'd strongly suggest that you try it out, because you may realize that the massive premium might not be worth it for you in the end.

I've never owned anything else from Sennheiser, so I can't comment.

Posted proof that I do indeed own both headphones, as well as the amp.

As a last note, the HD700 is better than the HD800S in terms of playing certain video games, for example OW. I can tell the direction of a sound very clearly on the HD700, while it is extremely difficult on the HD800S. Be careful what you wish for....
Amazing, thank you so much. There's a lot of herd mentality in the audio game it looks like.

Sound is such a subjective thing, I dabbled a little bit with the audiophile stuff a couple years back and I always hated how many mixed answers I got on questions. You're definitely right, I'm going to have to audition them for myself but I don't really know where to go to listen to older headphones.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3555 posts
485 upvotes
Sure thing, Single Units: Schiit Fula and Hel and pretty much everything in that price range from decent companies: Monoprice, IfiDSD, massdrop, etc...
For a bit more cash the newer THX units from monoprice with included DACs are also pretty good(thin TTX 788)

If you want separate amp and DAC, Schitt is still a pretty good place to start with the Magni and Modi combos of whatever current versions they have. Diminishing returns hit pretty hard on these as well beyond 350~500$ , especially since the THX units started hitting the market.
Capindy wrote: Saved me some money I guess. Still requesting you to recommend me any budget dap/dac.
Jul 15, 2015
827 posts
252 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote:
I don't think so. If I didn't already own a HD650, I would take the drop 6XX over the 660s, its not the same but for half the price its pretty close.
Sennheiser has moved production from Ireland to Romania. Axell Grell has also left Sennheiser so there is variances now in the Romanian headphones.

Also for anyone wondering the 58X is an updated version of the HD 580 Jubilee edition (later became the HD 600).