Expired Hot Deals

[Bay Bloor Radio] Sennheiser HD800S Headphones $1850, HD660 $520, HD820 $2599

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2020 11:42 pm
Dec 2, 2019
44 posts
52 upvotes
Capindy wrote: Saved me some money I guess. Still requesting you to recommend me any budget dap/dac.
If you're looking for separates with really good bang for the buck, check out Topping D10 DAC and JDS Labs Atom Amp, I'm using this combo with HD6XX and am very pleased with it for the money, they both have excellent measurements on Audio Science Review . Previously I was using Wyred 4 sound Udac and the previously mentioned Schiit Magni 3 amp. If you're looking for budget player/dac/amp or some combo there in take a look a Fiio products most pretty good bang for the buck.
Mar 24, 2015
362 posts
207 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
sanapk wrote: Amazing, thank you so much. There's a lot of herd mentality in the audio game it looks like.

Sound is such a subjective thing, I dabbled a little bit with the audiophile stuff a couple years back and I always hated how many mixed answers I got on questions. You're definitely right, I'm going to have to audition them for myself but I don't really know where to go to listen to older headphones.

Trying to decide on headphones via reviews is a nightmare. :). I ended up with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium, which were the most comfortable headphones I'd ever tried, and apparently didn't have the treble response that other Beyers had; I'm pretty annoyed by sibilance and higher frequencies. The 880s were brutal. Even though I'd seen a frequency response chart that showed a massive spike in the higher ranges, people in forums swore up and down that there was no treble accentuation. I had to return them because they didn't sit well with me, even after 100 hours of burn-in time.
Mar 18, 2008
508 posts
155 upvotes
markust5775 wrote: Trying to decide on headphones via reviews is a nightmare. :). I ended up with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium, which were the most comfortable headphones I'd ever tried, and apparently didn't have the treble response that other Beyers had; I'm pretty annoyed by sibilance and higher frequencies. The 880s were brutal. Even though I'd seen a frequency response chart that showed a massive spike in the higher ranges, people in forums swore up and down that there was no treble accentuation. I had to return them because they didn't sit well with me, even after 100 hours of burn-in time.
You shouldn't go by what people say in forums unless there are people there you know and trust. Some of those guys are terrible at describing what they are or aren't hearing as you found out. It's good if you can find someone who knows what they are talking about and has similar preferences to your own. Looking at a frequency response chart is the right approach to get an idea of the sound signature.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4790 posts
2707 upvotes
Toronto
markust5775 wrote: Trying to decide on headphones via reviews is a nightmare. :). I ended up with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium, which were the most comfortable headphones I'd ever tried, and apparently didn't have the treble response that other Beyers had; I'm pretty annoyed by sibilance and higher frequencies. The 880s were brutal. Even though I'd seen a frequency response chart that showed a massive spike in the higher ranges, people in forums swore up and down that there was no treble accentuation. I had to return them because they didn't sit well with me, even after 100 hours of burn-in time.
I ended up finding a local shop that stocks headphones and tried on a bunch of pairs, really helped me narrow down what I liked. He couldn't really offer me anything competitive in the price range for what I liked, but I bought my amp from the guy to support him for helping me.
Dec 2, 2019
44 posts
52 upvotes
Agree in principle that you shouldn't just go by what someone in a forum says is the "Best", however if you are looking for an idea on where to start its a great place to start making a list and reading additional reviews, data and then tracking down at a dealer to actually audition.
Nov 13, 2019
163 posts
266 upvotes
FastXR wrote: If you're looking for separates with really good bang for the buck, check out Topping D10 DAC and JDS Labs Atom Amp, I'm using this combo with HD6XX and am very pleased with it for the money, they both have excellent measurements on Audio Science Review . Previously I was using Wyred 4 sound Udac and the previously mentioned Schiit Magni 3 amp. If you're looking for budget player/dac/amp or some combo there in take a look a Fiio products most pretty good bang for the buck.

I have the Fiio K5 Pro with HD6XX and am happy with the combo. I wasn't going to spend 2-3x as much on a DAC/AMP than the headphones themselves... for the price of everything, it's a great setup.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3555 posts
485 upvotes
Last I read, I believe the new units have worked out the teething issues. As for Mr Grell, it would be nice to see something new from him, Sennheiser likes to take their sweet time putting out new units...
Even with the unit differences, we’re still miles away from audeze type unit to unit consistency..
GeneralZod wrote: Sennheiser has moved production from Ireland to Romania. Axell Grell has also left Sennheiser so there is variances now in the Romanian headphones.

Also for anyone wondering the 58X is an updated version of the HD 580 Jubilee edition (later became the HD 600).
Jul 15, 2015
827 posts
252 upvotes
Cress wrote: Last I read, I believe the new units have worked out the teething issues. As for Mr Grell, it would be nice to see something new from him, Sennheiser likes to take their sweet time putting out new units...
Even with the unit differences, we’re still miles away from audeze type unit to unit consistency..
The variance hasn't been worked out. Frequency graphs still show variance between Irish and Romanian production.

Axel Grell was responsible for the HD 580 and subsequent flagship headphones. His departure from the company means that Sennheiser is no longer competitive against Beyerdynamic, HifiMan, AKG and others.

Audeze quality and variance is a completely different subject and not comparable. Not apples to apples.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3555 posts
485 upvotes
Interesting, I had seen a post on SBAF a while back from from the Sonarworks guys outlining the issue and subsequently advising that things were starting to look fine. It was one of the main qualities of Senns, it would be sad to see them go down that path. I was looking forward to picking up a 6xx again at some point, guess I’ll wait a little longer.

True that Grell’s work has done great work at Sennheiser, I haven’t come across Any post Grell info on their r&d team so can’t say if they are competitive or not but I’m definitely interested in what they have in store next, same for Grell if he decides to open shop.

Cheers,
GeneralZod wrote: The variance hasn't been worked out. Frequency graphs still show variance between Irish and Romanian production.

Axel Grell was responsible for the HD 580 and subsequent flagship headphones. His departure from the company means that Sennheiser is no longer competitive against Beyerdynamic, HifiMan, AKG and others.

Audeze quality and variance is a completely different subject and not comparable. Not apples to apples.