Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
The Bay

Le Creuset 4.1 L Cast Iron Traditional Pot (Red or Blue) $160 (Regular $400)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2015 9:33 pm
[OP]
Apr 19, 2015
297 posts
312 upvotes

[The Bay] Le Creuset 4.1 L Cast Iron Traditional Pot (Red or Blue) $160 (Regular $400)

[QUOTE]Mod Edit June 16: sale is live again @ $169.99. Use promo code FRIENDS to get another 10% off.
[/QUOTE]
A pretty good deal! The Bay is selling it in red and blue.

Red:
http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 091052--24

Blue:
http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 383300--24

In my experience, these typically sell out quite quickly. Grab one soon if you want it! The website says free shipping over $99 as well, but I seem to be having trouble getting that to apply, possibly because of the weight.
86 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2003
2992 posts
1020 upvotes
Ottawa
is it big enough to prepare a meal for 4?
Nov 8, 2007
638 posts
360 upvotes
Kinda cool to have different colours in the kitchen but I always see the floor model's paint chipped to death, sometimes even deeper. For that reason, I'm out.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3008 posts
1356 upvotes
GTA
dux wrote: is it big enough to prepare a meal for 4?
It's 4.1L, so that would depend on you, wouldn't it?
[OP]
Apr 19, 2015
297 posts
312 upvotes
4.1L is pretty small for four people. That will be base to rim, and nobody cooks like that. I'd say you probably want something larger for a one-pot meal for four, unless you have small appetites and you're cooking something pretty dense.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7451 posts
2410 upvotes
Richmond Hill
well obviously depends if the family is obese or not
Nov 28, 2013
118 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
With due respect, $400 for a cast iron pot is a ridiculous example of being "Brandwashed".

And even at 60% discount, $160 is still wayyyyy too much for a cast iron pot that has a damage-prone enamel finish.

Lodge's line of Dutch Ovens are superior and have been rated a Best Buy from cooks Illlustrated (America's Test Kitchen" magazine for years.

Take your pic from all of them https://www.lodgemfg.com/prodcat/dutch-ovens.asp

For less than half the "sale" price of that overpriced French shippable item, you can get a "Double Dutch" oven with a lid that doubles as a cast iron skillet https://www.lodgemfg.com/dutch-ovens/5- ... h-oven.asp

[IMG]https://www.lodgemfg.com/images/L8DD3_L.jpg[/IMG]

If you really want the colour, Lodge has enamelled Dutch ovens for under $100 full retail price.

[IMG]https://www.lodgemfg.com/images/EC4D33_N.jpg[/IMG]
Nov 28, 2013
118 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto

Lodge has 7 qt and 9qt Dutch Ovens, plenty big enough! lol
[OP]
Apr 19, 2015
297 posts
312 upvotes
clinteast wrote: With due respect, $400 for a cast iron pot is a ridiculous example of being "Brandwashed".

And even at 60% discount, $160 is still wayyyyy too much for a cast iron pot that has a damage-prone enamel finish.

Lodge's line of Dutch Ovens are superior and have been rated a Best Buy from cooks Illlustrated (America's Test Kitchen" magazine for years.
Yep, totally good choices too! You can get roughly the same size blue or red enameled Dutch ovens from Sears.ca for what appears to be about $120 after tax, including shipping. I have no experience with Lodge so I can't comment on whether or not there's any differences, but I have to imagine that most cast iron is pretty consistent amongst manufacturers.
Nov 29, 2007
496 posts
60 upvotes
Just got one at The bay at Markville mall 30 min ago. There were around 15 Red and 10 Blue when I left, they should have some more on the other side of the shelf maybe 5-10.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2035 posts
1536 upvotes
Vancouver
GavinTheAlmighty wrote: Yep, totally good choices too! You can get roughly the same size blue or red enameled Dutch ovens from Sears.ca for what appears to be about $120 after tax, including shipping. I have no experience with Lodge so I can't comment on whether or not there's any differences, but I have to imagine that most cast iron is pretty consistent amongst manufacturers.
I have read that people believe that cast iron sourced from china may be questionable (not pure?). But lodge is USA, so that's not relevant in this case. It may be a case against other brands though. I have personal experience in this quality difference though.
May 31, 2010
76 posts
67 upvotes
Calgary
Guessing you've never used Le Creuset products before.

Move along.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1896 posts
181 upvotes
Lodge is one of my favorite companies, and I have many products from them. Dudtch ovens included. I think I still prefer cooking with my Creuset pots for some things.

When amortized over the life of either of these pots, the price difference isn't that big.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
1070 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto, ON
clinteast wrote: Oh yes, and I leave the price tag on it just in case my guests don't know what a gourmand I am!
I see that the Lodge is cheaper, but can't find anywhere that sells it for less than $130+tax shipped. Where are you finding it at $100 or less? For that price, it's not too far off from the Le Creuset on sale here...
Dec 17, 2009
103 posts
20 upvotes
MacBuster wrote: Lodge is one of my favorite companies, and I have many products from them. Dudtch ovens included. I think I still prefer cooking with my Creuset pots for some things.

When amortized over the life of either of these pots, the price difference isn't that big.
What? Lodge has just as long of a useful life as Le Creuset.
RIP GOD
Dec 6, 2007
186 posts
12 upvotes
Any knows if the interior of this pot is sand coloured or black? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1896 posts
181 upvotes
hgroovy wrote: What? Lodge has just as long of a useful life as Le Creuset.
Yes. But if you prefer one over the other for any reason, the price difference is negligible when you consider it will probably be used thousands or tens of thousands of times.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1630 posts
269 upvotes
Between my brother and me, we have close to 30 pieces of Le Creuset's. Most were at least 20 years old and definitely pre "$400" piece of trendy iron days! I even found one left on a garbage heap! I definitely would not pay $400 or even $200 for a full enamelled one(they used to be at most half enamelled, with the heating surface exposed)! The most I paid was $150 for my creuset wok which is out out of necessity as I needed a flat bottom one for an electric stove. My other woks are carbon. I recently bought my first lodge frying pan. Yes, the surface is more rough and probably requires more seasoning to get it started but at $30, it's a fabulous piece of cooking tool!