Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1146 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto

[The Bay] Lodge Cast Iron Wok - $104

I know it's half price in the States, but we live in Canada. It's also out of stock everywhere in the States.

Add it to the cart to get an extra 10% off for some odd reason. Makes it $104.xx + free shipping.

I decided on this one because it's the only one that can hold really high heat on a crappy electric stove top.

For reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P ... B00063RXQK
28 replies
Oct 16, 2007
980 posts
1271 upvotes
Montr
Not a deal, it's around 100-120$ everywhere else. Look around and you should be able to get it for less
Dec 3, 2005
851 posts
992 upvotes
S
Well, woks are not supposed to be cast iron.
Cast iron retains heat well, but is not responsive to heat changes.
I'd recommend that you get a 12.6" carbon steel de buyer country fry pan. It's durable and large; retains heat very well, and responsive to heat changes. $80 when on sale at bestbuy.

If you insist on the wok, check out kitchenstuffplus, and use their 25% off email signup coupon.

I do know cookware.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2006
1550 posts
817 upvotes
Edmonton
MELPOMENE wrote: Well, woks are not supposed to be cast iron.
Cast iron retains heat well, but is not responsive to heat changes.
I'd recommend that you get a 12.6" carbon steel de buyer country fry pan. It's durable and large; retains heat very well, and responsive to heat changes. $80 when on sale at bestbuy.

If you insist on the wok, check out kitchenstuffplus, and use their 25% off email signup coupon.

I do know cookware.
In his defense; everywhere in China where they don't have good heat source (aka 30k+ BTU consistent), we use cast iron wok.. Certainly not lodge, but cast iron is indeed best for poor heat sources. Havn't tried the suggested coutry fry pan, but just adding my 2 renminbi
May 5, 2009
80 posts
51 upvotes
Montreal
Carbo wrote: In his defense; everywhere in China where they don't have good heat source (aka 30k+ BTU consistent), we use cast iron wok.. Certainly not lodge, but cast iron is indeed best for poor heat sources. Havn't tried the suggested coutry fry pan, but just adding my 2 renminbi
Correct me if I'm wrong but Chinese cast iron woks are thinner than this... this looks super thick.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1622 posts
255 upvotes
$5 carbon wok from chinatown, once seasoned, is my favourite of all. Unfortunately I can only use it 6 month of the year, outside on a forced gas burner. My "current" stove inside is an electric one, which renders pretty much all round bottomed woks useless. I have a le creuset cast iron wok because it has a flat bottom, retents a lot of heat, and its a decent compromise. Does any one know if this Lodge has a flat bottom? If so $100 is fair. I do like lodge cast iron.
Aug 27, 2013
622 posts
363 upvotes
cloud
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I was considering getting this Lodge wok a few years ago, and decided against it 'coz of the weight. Unless you can lift and rotate it with one hand by one of its handles, it's gonna be tough getting the wokful of food out of it onto the plate.

IKEA Canada used to carry a thin cast-iron work that's round inside but has a flat bottom outside that works on electric stove top. I got it instead of the Lodge.

You can still find it in IKEA Hong Kong (HK$159.9) and Australia (AUS$29.99)...

Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1622 posts
255 upvotes
cmchiu wrote: IKEA Canada used to carry a thin cast-iron work that's round inside but has a flat bottom outside that works on electric stove top. I've been using it for a few years. It was selling for $10 cheaper than the teflon-aluminum version!

You can still find it in IKEA Hong Kong (HK$159.9) and Australia (AUS$29.99)...

Thanks. Round inside-flat out is what I want. I will send a friend in australia to check it. Wonder how thin can a thin cast iron be! By definition of cast, it would have to be quite thick... I am curious.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2973 posts
3215 upvotes
GVRD
I own almost every other lodge product, except this one. It looks like it's been available for years but suddenly sold out across the US. Why?

I hate the incredible uplift in Cdn prices. A 40$US product that's often on sale in the US for about $34US is an incredible deal at $115 at the bay for one day.

Find yourself a local Bass Pro shop for Lodge if you can.

Lodge cast iron quality is great. I believe their cast iron mixture will contain less other elements than the least-cost-supplier in China... Where every other cast iron product is made.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2522 posts
1488 upvotes
Markham
I have the lodge wok, super heavy(my wife doesn't like to wash it) that is not the main problem. It heats up really slow compared to other woks because the lodge cast iron is super thick.

It cooks really well, don't get me wrong.
For example, if you have those coil stoves, once you throw veggies on a normal thin wok, it is not hot enough anymore. Whereas if you have the lodge wok, it stays hot while you are stir frying.
Those are the pros and cons.

Alternatively, you can get this
Wok Carbon steel 12"/30cm Flat base https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002Z8SD40/ref ... BwbSYBJA19

$25 bucks

If anyone in Markham wants the lodge wok for $50, PST me :)
Aug 27, 2013
622 posts
363 upvotes
cloud
Error2 wrote: Thanks. Round inside-flat out is what I want. I will send a friend in australia to check it. Wonder how thin can a thin cast iron be! By definition of cast, it would have to be quite thick... I am curious.
Less than 2mm thick. Wok itself (without the lid) weighs 1.79 kg.

It doesn't look like the usual Lodge cast iron at all, doesn't have the sandblasting texture or heavy pre-seasoning inside; it's rather smooth like the Chinese cast irons.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1146 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
RxMills wrote: I own almost every other lodge product, except this one. It looks like it's been available for years but suddenly sold out across the US. Why?

I hate the incredible uplift in Cdn prices. A 40$US product that's often on sale in the US for about $34US is an incredible deal at $115 at the bay for one day.

Find yourself a local Bass Pro shop for Lodge if you can.

Lodge cast iron quality is great. I believe their cast iron mixture will contain less other elements than the least-cost-supplier in China... Where every other cast iron product is made.
Not sure why it's sold out. It's not even available on Lodge's website.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1146 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
frederixx wrote: Not a deal, it's around 100-120$ everywhere else. Look around and you should be able to get it for less
Where? Please share with us.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1146 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
Error2 wrote: $5 carbon wok from chinatown, once seasoned, is my favourite of all. Unfortunately I can only use it 6 month of the year, outside on a forced gas burner. My "current" stove inside is an electric one, which renders pretty much all round bottomed woks useless. I have a le creuset cast iron wok because it has a flat bottom, retents a lot of heat, and its a decent compromise. Does any one know if this Lodge has a flat bottom? If so $100 is fair. I do like lodge cast iron.
Yep, flat bottom on the outside, round bottom on the inside.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2973 posts
3215 upvotes
GVRD
mawzi wrote: Not sure why it's sold out. It's not even available on Lodge's website.
The Bay probably got wind of lodge clearing them out. Used to be US$40 retail, so the bay said we'll buy your remaining inventory at $18 a piece. Now, big fat the Bay is generously offering them at $105 and barely making anything. We should be supportive of that tradition Canadian company, oh yes, they're American now.

PS - thanks to the OP though for pointing out a great quality product.
Dec 3, 2005
851 posts
992 upvotes
S
Carbo wrote: In his defense; everywhere in China where they don't have good heat source (aka 30k+ BTU consistent), we use cast iron wok.. Certainly not lodge, but cast iron is indeed best for poor heat sources. Havn't tried the suggested coutry fry pan, but just adding my 2 renminbi

Actually, chinese people mostly use carbon steel, not cast iron woks.

One very important aspect of stirfrying in a wok is that the wok needs to have zones with different temperatures. That's why the wok has a round bottom with sloped sides. We want the bottom to be hot and sides cooler. In this way, food can be heated and cooled in rapid alternations when moved around. Also, this is why chefs toss the wok.
Food shouldn't stay in constant contact with high heat.

Since cast iron retains heat and makes itself uniformly hot, it is very undesirable for making woks.

In addition, we often need to turn the heat down, and the change must be observed immediately. Well, it's impossible with a cast iron piece. The food will overcooked.

I still strongly recommend the de buyer country fry pan. It's 3mm thick, retains heat well, but responsive to heat changes. Excellent not only for stirfrying, but searing steaks, baking, frying as well. Once seasoned, with good techniques it's as nonstick as a teflon-coated nonstick pan.

I own many cast iron pieces including lodge logic frying pans, grill pans, dutch oven, panini press; staub french ovens. I love all those pieces.
At one point, i was interested in the lodge wok, and did lots of research. I'm glad i didn't buy it. It just won't wok.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2510 posts
171 upvotes
mawzi wrote: I know it's half price in the States, but we live in Canada. It's also out of stock everywhere in the States.

Add it to the cart to get an extra 10% off for some odd reason. Makes it $104.xx + free shipping.

I decided on this one because it's the only one that can hold really high heat on a crappy electric stove top.

For reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P ... B00063RXQK
Is a bad idea. Cast iron heat retention is a issue using as a wok... can't adjust temperature quick enough.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2006
1550 posts
817 upvotes
Edmonton
MELPOMENE wrote: Actually, chinese people mostly use carbon steel, not cast iron woks.

One very important aspect of stirfrying in a wok is that the wok needs to have zones with different temperatures. That's why the wok has a round bottom with sloped sides. We want the bottom to be hot and sides cooler. In this way, food can be heated and cooled in rapid alternations when moved around. Also, this is why chefs toss the wok.
Did you not fully understand or read my post? Have you not been to rural China? I am not talking about standard cooking in well equipped homes, I am talking about places with unreliable heat sources (people who cook with coal, wood, etc) like street vendors. Cast iron is used due to the heat sources not being easily controllable or consistent.
Dec 3, 2005
851 posts
992 upvotes
S
Carbo wrote: Did you not fully understand or read my post? Have you not been to rural China? I am not talking about standard cooking in well equipped homes, I am talking about places with unreliable heat sources (people who cook with coal, wood, etc) like street vendors. Cast iron is used due to the heat sources not being easily controllable or consistent.

i've never been to rural china, but i know that some homes still use cast iron woks and have to compromise
sorry, i shouldn't have quoted you. my reply was mostly for op and others who don't cook with coal