• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2019 3:36 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 30, 2007
99 posts
6 upvotes

The Bay Rant

On Friday, I ordered online a blanket for 299 sale price at theBay.com. Today, I get an email saying the blanket is on still sale with an additional 15% off for BayDays promo. Cool I thought. I can get an 15 percent off my Friday order with a phone call.

I phone CS and explain the situation. She puts me on hold. She comes back 2 minutes later saying 299 is the lowest price they can sell it for. I tell her the promo code is legit and I can checkout with it. She won't or can't budge. She tells me I can order it again with the 15% off and return the one I bought on Friday at a store.

So I go ahead and order it again for 299 and 15% off.

I call again thinking maybe another CS can do more. Nope. Exactly like the first CS.

Whoever is in charge of the Bay better get their shit together or else you are going to become the next Sears. After I return the blanket I will never shop at the Bay ever again. In fact I may return both blankets now that I have a negative connotation with it.
50 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12894 posts
1235 upvotes
Cancel your first blanket order since you only ordered on Friday.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2007
1949 posts
423 upvotes
I love The Bay, but I agree their customer service which is probably somewhere in Philippine is some area that they need to address quickly.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1646 posts
1349 upvotes
honest thief wrote: On Friday, I ordered online a blanket for 299 sale price at theBay.com. Today, I get an email saying the blanket is on still sale with an additional 15% off for BayDays promo. Cool I thought. I can get an 15 percent off my Friday order with a phone call.

I phone CS and explain the situation. She puts me on hold. She comes back 2 minutes later saying 299 is the lowest price they can sell it for. I tell her the promo code is legit and I can checkout with it. She won't or can't budge. She tells me I can order it again with the 15% off and return the one I bought on Friday at a store.

I call again thinking maybe another CS can do more. Nope. Exactly like the first CS.

Whoever is in charge of the Bay better get their shit together or else you are going to become the next Sears. After I return the blanket I will never shop at the Bay ever again. In fact I may return both blankets now that I have a negative connotation with it.
the 15% off baydays coupon terms state :
" DETAILS & EXCLUSIONS: All savings are off of our regular, sale and clearance prices. Available on select brands and styles. While quantities last. No rain checks. No price adjustments on purchases made prior to Saturday, May 4, 2019."

I made an order last week and I'm also kinda miffed they can't apply this promotion for an extra 15% off shortly after my purchase. But from past experience, it's not worth arguing and I didn't bother calling in this time because I know they are strict on policy. Within 1 week, they will honour price drops but not these 'coupon off' type sales.

Best to return the first one and let it be. You're getting an extra 15% off the second order, you wouldn't have gotten when you placed the first order. Might be a hassle, but for around $50 back after taxes, might be worth the trip.

I don't have that option with my order because I can't carry furniture on the bus :/

In regards to cancelling an order, from what I was told, an order can not be cancelled after 30 minutes of placing it at thebay.com.
Always hungry ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2795 posts
2074 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
honest thief wrote: On Friday, I ordered online a blanket for 299 sale price at theBay.com. Today, I get an email saying the blanket is on still sale with an additional 15% off for BayDays promo. Cool I thought. I can get an 15 percent off my Friday order with a phone call.
You thought wrong.
She tells me I can order it again with the 15% off and return the one I bought on Friday at a store.
Sounds like a plan.
Yay you.
Whoever is in charge of the Bay better get their shit together or else you are going to become the next Sears.

...or you could just get your shit together and read the T&C for the coupon. They usually don't apply to prior purchases, and I see here someone has already quoted the T&C for this latest offer.

You made a mistake.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Nov 26, 2012
331 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto
Am I the only one that would rather buy it again with the new promo and return the original? Eliminates hassle of dealing with customer service rep. I realize returning is work but returns are usually less hassle as it is a standard transaction versus overriding T&C to apply discount.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15528 posts
12739 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
nintendo wrote: the 15% off baydays coupon terms state :
" DETAILS & EXCLUSIONS: All savings are off of our regular, sale and clearance prices. Available on select brands and styles. While quantities last. No rain checks. No price adjustments on purchases made prior to Saturday, May 4, 2019."

I made an order last week and I'm also kinda miffed they can't apply this promotion for an extra 15% off shortly after my purchase. But from past experience, it's not worth arguing and I didn't bother calling in this time because I know they are strict on policy. Within 1 week, they will honour price drops but not these 'coupon off' type sales.

Best to return the first one and let it be. You're getting an extra 15% off the second order, you wouldn't have gotten when you placed the first order. Might be a hassle, but for around $50 back after taxes, might be worth the trip.

I don't have that option with my order because I can't carry furniture on the bus :/

In regards to cancelling an order, from what I was told, an order can not be cancelled after 30 minutes of placing it at thebay.com.
100% this ... and I bolded the reason WHY for emphasis

And this
ALLCAPS wrote: You thought wrong.

Sounds like a plan.

Yay you.

...or you could just get your shit together and read the T&C for the coupon. They usually don't apply to prior purchases, and I see here someone has already quoted the T&C for this latest offer.

You made a mistake.
And even this
niche54 wrote: Am I the only one that would rather buy it again with the new promo and return the original? Eliminates hassle of dealing with customer service rep. I realize returning is work but returns are usually less hassle as it is a standard transaction versus overriding T&C to apply discount.
Dealing with Customer Service in ANY SITUATION AT ANY RETAILER IMO is a HUGE HASSLE and a Royal PITA
(HATE automatic phone systems and sitting ON HOLD for who knows how long... only to find that the CSRs... here or abroad in the call centre have little info about their Employer, or how to execute what it is I want done :rolleyes: )

If you can find a work around that is straight forward, then that’s the one to always choose

Yes REORDERING & RETURNING is extra work for you the Customer, vs a PRICE ADJUSTMENT which is extra work for them the Retailer
BUT.. it’s nothing new
Heck most POS Programs just aren’t equipped to do Price Adjustments AFTER THE TRANSACTION
They gotta process a RETURN and a NEW BUY anyhow

PS.. IMO deciding not to use a Retailer cuz of this, is your choice
BUT foolish... as it’s not the Retailers fault
(You’d understand this IF you had a Company)
You the Consumer, found a better price
Now you want it
But like anything else in the marketplace
Pricing comes with requirements of the Consumer too
(Buying & Selling is a 2 sided agreement / contract)
You need to meet your obligations as well to get that price now being offered
The first of which was to READ & FOLLOW the fine print
Which clearly said
COUPON / CODE Required - DATE of Use - and a T&C of NO PRICE ADJUSTMENT

Honestly, HOW can you blame the Retailer if it is YOU who is not meeting the requirements of sale at that price ?
You cannot

Suck it up buttercup
Nothing wrong with The Bay in this scenario
You are just feeling entitled & being Uber lazy
Last edited by PointsHubby on May 6th, 2019 12:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9363 posts
3061 upvotes

Discomfort is your friend
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28402 posts
8854 upvotes
This is a problem with a lot of retailers. I don't get it. Instead of just adjusting it for you, they make you return/cancel and make another order. I dunno how this helps them esp. when often times they will pay for shipping both ways on the returned item. Pretty sure Amazon does this too.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13432 posts
2282 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Other retailers have this policy, where they ask u to put in another order if u want the new discount, eg. adidas.ca
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1957 posts
4201 upvotes
Markham
I don't think quoting the T&C is the point in this situation. Sure, The Bay's policy stipulates no price adjustments, but it's a policy that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to enforce.

It wastes The Bay's employee time (to have employees process a new order, send it out, and more employees to process the return), it wastes their money to ship both the new order and the return, it wastes the customer's time to have to return the product, and it creates an extra returned item for the manufacturer of the item. It's just all around a waste of time, money and resources for everyone involved.

Also the customer now has another 30 days or whatever to do another return or price adjustment, whereas a price adjustment would've kept the original purchase date the same and they wouldn't have more time to do more price adjustments or a return.

So I think the OP is just (rightfully) complaining that it's a dumb policy.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13432 posts
2282 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Dave510 wrote: I don't think quoting the T&C is the point in this situation. Sure, The Bay's policy stipulates no price adjustments, but it's a policy that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to enforce.

It wastes The Bay's employee time (to have employees process a new order, send it out, and more employees to process the return), it wastes their money to ship both the new order and the return, it wastes the customer's time to have to return the product, and it creates an extra returned item for the manufacturer of the item. It's just all around a waste of time, money and resources for everyone involved.

Also the customer now has another 30 days or whatever to do another return or price adjustment, whereas a price adjustment would've kept the original purchase date the same and they wouldn't have more time to do more price adjustments or a return.

So I think the OP is just (rightfully) complaining that it's a dumb policy.
Not all customers have time to do the return instore. It's not worth the 15% savings.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3777 posts
3206 upvotes
Dave510 wrote: I don't think quoting the T&C is the point in this situation. Sure, The Bay's policy stipulates no price adjustments, but it's a policy that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to enforce.

It is a waste of time, yet that’s retail for you. The Bay doesn’t have systems that allow a price adjustment. Price adjustments are done by returning the items and then purchasing them again. Antiquated, yes. Easier to understand though when you realize their POS system runs on Windows XP and their rewards system runs on DOS.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6916 posts
6373 upvotes
Toronto
The Bay Rant rant

First read the T&C of the coupon... and then we'll talk

End of rant

I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Sep 20, 2018
565 posts
557 upvotes
Montreal
While the Bay is waayyy behind in CS. Their response seems normal to me.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2390 posts
603 upvotes
Ontario
$299 for a blanket??????? What kind of blanket costs that much?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15528 posts
12739 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
webshark wrote: $299 for a blanket??????? What kind of blanket costs that much?
Guessing a traditional HBC Hudson’s Bay Point Blanket
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson' ... nt_blanket

A VERY Desirable item
And of course trademarked to the HBC
https://www.thebay.com/Hudson-s-Bay-Com ... /Ne-6ja3nm

HBC / The Bay was founded on this Blanket in 1670 ... 349 Years ago
(And a good lot of what makes Canada who we are historically )
And it’s an iconic part of the HBC / The Bay Brand
https://www.thebay.com/HBC-Stripes/shop/_/N-1z12hl3
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2034 posts
493 upvotes
In Hiding
Seeing the title is Bay rant, I'll add mine here. I bought online a Fulton umbrella which was on sale for $26.25, and was emailed an order confirmation. A day later, I get an order cancellation because they could not fulfill the order. So I go online to buy another colour, well the same umbrella is now available but at $35! So they decided to increase the price after I ordered it and cancelled my order instead of sending it. Now that's ethical selling - not!
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11646 posts
506 upvotes
If it was a good deal to you at $299, why are you unhappy now? Did somebody move your cheese?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15528 posts
12739 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Catnippy wrote: Seeing the title is Bay rant, I'll add mine here. I bought online a Fulton umbrella which was on sale for $26.25, and was emailed an order confirmation. A day later, I get an order cancellation because they could not fulfill the order. So I go online to buy another colour, well the same umbrella is now available but at $35! So they decided to increase the price after I ordered it and cancelled my order instead of sending it. Now that's ethical selling - not!
I understand your complaint...

But I think if you read the fine print on any Sale, it will say while Quantities last
They cancelled your order, cuz the colour you wanted ran out

Next day, the sale was over
And hence WHY the price was higher

And, they still didn’t have your original colour you wanted

Not to say it isn’t The Bays fault
And their poor online ordering system
IF it functioned IN REAL TIME you would have known that the colour you wanted out of stock, and could have chose another

But I think part of the problem is now how The Bay fulfils their orders
Not using a central warehouse
But rather shipping from other stores
And the inventory numbers can waver cause their JUST IN TIME shipping method only updates store inventory once per day
(So hence the one day lag for the notification as ... sorry OOS)
It’s a crappy IT system

But, The Bay is not alone on this
Other Retailers who are going to JUST IN TIME shipping for online shopping and no warehouses
(Like Marks) have similar issues for their customers too