Locked: The Bay's 15% cash surcharge

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2019 1:53 pm
[OP]
Dec 20, 2010
15 posts
2 upvotes

The Bay's 15% cash surcharge

Every time I go there, they're offering 15% off if you use their store Bay card or MasterCard. The way I see it, I'm being charged an extra 15% for giving them cold hard cash compared to people who promise to pay them some day if and when they get around to it. And doesn't MasterCard keep 5% of it or something? If anything I should be getting a discount. It's like they're saying screw you pal, we don't need your stinking money. Go shop somewhere else if you want a good deal. I'm angered by this.

(It's actually a 17.65% surcharge, now that I think of it. 15/85 for every 100 paid in cash)
Share:
60 replies
Mar 24, 2016
993 posts
1510 upvotes
scarborough
I agree with you there. As a consumer point of view it makes sense to give cash paying customer a discount.

Now let look at from a business point of view. A credit card paying customer tends to: make bigger ticket items, more impulse buying, if you have their card you will most like go to that store before checking other stores, delay payments ( do not pay for one year), etc etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2831 posts
2140 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
AngeredShopper wrote: Every time I go there, they're offering 15% off if you use their store Bay card or MasterCard. The way I see it, I'm being charged an extra 15% for giving them cold hard cash compared to people who promise to pay them some day if and when they get around to it. And doesn't MasterCard keep 5% of it or something? If anything I should be getting a discount. It's like they're saying screw you pal, we don't need your stinking money. Go shop somewhere else if you want a good deal. I'm angered by this.
They want people to sign up for their card. For something like a credit card, there's a cash payment for every signup, plus they may get a certain amount of interest charges. They may also receive a discount or rebate from the CC company to cover fees normally charged the merchant (I don't know about that)

Firstly, it is not a surcharge, so please don't say it is such. A surcharge would be an additional charge over and above what would be expected in a normal transaction, which this clearly is not. It is a discount offered to select card users, much like discounts are offered to certain other groups (in the case of the Bay, I think they they do (or used to) offer discounts to seniors.

The above notwithstanding, you ignore the fact that the discount doesn't apply to holders of non-store branded cards either, so your griping about a cash surcharge is not factual. It is a discount offered to people who use a certain method of payment to pay for their purchase.

There's the attitude that if the consumer has a store card, they're more likely to return to that store to spend more money, so there'll be more money spent over the course of X duration by the card holding consumer than the discount provided, and more than a cash paying consumer.

The bay makes money from the saps who sign up for the card. That's why they offer that 'discount'
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4169 posts
803 upvotes
Richmond
*Facepalms * it's their friends and family sale. You only get the discount if you have their card. And unless things have changed drastically, you can pay off your hbc mc at the register instantly. These sales aren't there all the time. it's only on weekends and certain days.

Sometimes they will have sales where you can get 15% off with any other form of payment and 20% off if you pay with a hbc credit card.

if you apply for the card, you get 15% off your bill plus you get to choose a day where your 15 % discount applies. and the discount is valid across all banners. Which means if you signed for a card at the bay, it would be valid at home outfitters. Now if things have changed, I do not know but that is what I recall off the the top of my head so don't quote me on it
Dec 1, 2012
202 posts
32 upvotes
AngeredShopper wrote: Every time I go there, they're offering 15% off if you use their store Bay card or MasterCard. The way I see it, I'm being charged an extra 15% for giving them cold hard cash compared to people who promise to pay them some day if and when they get around to it. And doesn't MasterCard keep 5% of it or something? If anything I should be getting a discount. It's like they're saying screw you pal, we don't need your stinking money. Go shop somewhere else if you want a good deal. I'm angered by this.

(It's actually a 17.65% surcharge, now that I think of it. 15/85 for every 100 paid in cash)
There is always two sides of the coin. You can see it as an overcharged of 15% while others see it as a discount of 15%.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12223 posts
8631 upvotes
Edmonton

Except that people using a "non-Bay" card also pay the extra 15%, don't they? Like Amex, Visa, CT MasterCard...

C
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16745 posts
6969 upvotes

You see it wrong and have completely missed the purpose behind the discount.

Do you also see coupons as another way you are being overcharged? What about employee discounts - is that overcharging you too?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5092 upvotes
ON
People need to realize that cash handling has a cost and sometimes this cost is more than the credit/wire transfers. They get preferred transaction rates and maybe even make something when you use their cards, hence the %off incentive when you use HBC credit card vs other Credit Cards or Debit or Cash.
[OP]
Dec 20, 2010
15 posts
2 upvotes
I see the Bay is still at it, this weekend anything you buy with payment method other than a Bay card (i.e., cash money) costs 17.65% more than if you used the card. "Screw you pal, we don't need your stinking money." Okay, so instead I bought two nice name brand shirts at Winners for $15 each which would have cost me two or three times as much at the Bay. And they love my cash at Winners, same price as if I had used a credit card.

I'm also shopping more online instead of at the Bay, and noticed the Bay's online store needs you to buy $99 worth of stuff before they give you free shipping, around double what you need on other shopping sites. Conclusion: these people just don't get it. They think they can push consumers around to their way of doing things because they still call the shots. But they don't. The same fate as Eatons and Sears awaits.
RFD: a place where nasty cheapskates (many in GTA) go to complain about their first world problems and flame on strangers. 😎
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16745 posts
3906 upvotes
Toronto
AngeredShopper wrote: I see the Bay is still at it, this weekend anything you buy with payment method other than a Bay card (i.e., cash money) costs 17.65% more than if you used the card. "Screw you pal, we don't need your stinking money." Okay, so instead I bought two nice name brand shirts at Winners for $15 each which would have cost me two or three times as much at the Bay. And they love my cash at Winners, same price as if I had used a credit card.

I'm also shopping more online instead of at the Bay, and noticed the Bay's online store needs you to buy $99 worth of stuff before they give you free shipping, around double what you need on other shopping sites. Conclusion: these people just don't get it. They think they can push consumers around to their way of doing things because they still call the shots. But they don't. The same fate as Eatons and Sears awaits.
I'd steer clear-as far away from Winners as I can. ➡ https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/winner ... -1.3393883

The Bay gets away with what they are doing because they know they are the best store!! (also better quality clothing)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8332 posts
2130 upvotes
Mississauga
AngeredShopper wrote: I see the Bay is still at it, this weekend anything you buy with payment method other than a Bay card (i.e., cash money) costs 17.65% more than if you used the card. "Screw you pal, we don't need your stinking money." Okay, so instead I bought two nice name brand shirts at Winners for $15 each which would have cost me two or three times as much at the Bay. And they love my cash at Winners, same price as if I had used a credit card.

3 years later and still no wiser. It's not a surcharge. You pay regular if you use anything but their card. This includes cash, debit, or credit. They're simply encouraging you to use their store branded card as others have pointed out, but you're too obtuse to understand.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes

Looks like their business plan is working just fine. Cheap-asses like you and I don't shop there often, and only look for deals when we do.

HBC credit cardholders, on the contrary, are more likely to not care about deals/sales, and make larger purchases. $99 free ship is nothing when you're buying $200 make-up or a $800 juicer.

I don't think the 15% off even matters to most regular HBC shoppers - if they happen to have a discount that day, it's just gravy on top - otherwise they would have bought it at full price anyways.

Conclusion: You're doing them a favor by not shopping there and with your complaining. Keeps the cheapos out, and the big spenders coming in.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8660 posts
2591 upvotes
Mississauga
Why not just apply for an HBC card, it doesn't cost a cent. But you can deal the benefits of exclusive discounts and promos and points.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes
AngeredShopper wrote: Okay, so instead I bought two nice name brand shirts at Winners for $15 each which would have cost me two or three times as much at the Bay.
Lmfao.

OP thinks he's so smart that a discount at the Bay is actually a "surcharge", yet he's dumb enough to fall for the Winners scam. Hilarious.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45470 posts
5984 upvotes
Richmond Hill

What's wrong with credit? We're moving over to digital payments, pal. Cash will soon be a niche payment method.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13546 posts
2344 upvotes
City of Vancouver

This weekend's sale, the Bay online is offering 10% off on purchases made by non-HBC credit card holders.

De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13546 posts
2344 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Jon Lai wrote: What's wrong with credit? We're moving over to digital payments, pal. Cash will soon be a niche payment method.
Some ppl have bad credit, have no credit history, are unemployed, going thru bankruptcy, etc.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8332 posts
2130 upvotes
Mississauga
The problem is the op can't wrap his head around the concept of a loyalty card/program.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9124 posts
2750 upvotes
London
playnicee1 wrote: I'd steer clear-as far away from Winners as I can. ➡ https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/winner ... -1.3393883
Jennifer Johnston says her experience with 'compare at' prices at Winners made her 'very indignant, very angry, very frustrated and totally betrayed.'

Why am I looking into this ladies closet? Why not picture of the tag she's annoyed at?

If this is what pushes her over the edge, I don't know how she's going to take the news that her husband is cheating on her with one of the cashiers at Winners.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9124 posts
2750 upvotes
London
Becks wrote: Some ppl have bad credit, have no credit history, are unemployed, going thru bankruptcy, etc.
Some people sell drugs and have lots of extra cash to purchase high end juicers.