None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
3132 posts
832 upvotes
Toronto

[Apple] BB: New Slim 20" imac $1049!

Wow this is cheap considering this was just released a few days ago. It is $1299 at apple.ca

Preorder today at best buy for $1099, add it to cart and they take an additional 50 bux off...

even with $15.00 shipping to toronto, it is still way cheaper than Apple.ca.

Very tempting, this machine would make a darn fast pc box as well with boot camp.

love the new iphoto 08, and new keyboard.

mods can change link if needed.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai ... &langid=EN
51 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2006
5603 posts
1173 upvotes
i love the new mac keyboard... freakin nice... i gotta find time to go touch it
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2002
1108 posts
173 upvotes
Apple tightly regulates their pricing, so it's probably a pricing error if they are undercutting apple.ca on the new machines which were just announced 3 days ago - it's not like these are previous gen models they're clearing out. If you are planning on buying on of these, I'd jump on it fast. This price is even lower than the US price (which is $1199 for the base 20" if I remember correctly)!
Apr 17, 2005
446 posts
43 upvotes
This has to be a mistake. The pricing doesn't make any sense - a new 20" iMac for less than the previous-gen 17"?
Aug 24, 2003
81 posts
9 upvotes
I hope its a mistake because I ordered one earlier this week from the Educational Apple Store and BB is still cheaper. To cancel or not to cancel.

It says BB will have stock on the 28th. That gives them more than 2 weeks to correct the potential error.

Meh.. I am not biting this one.
Apr 17, 2005
446 posts
43 upvotes
I'm in the same boat. I ordered one from the Education site 2 days ago. A small consolation is that I'm getting a 'free' iPod Nano and printer with it. Still, I'll be watching the BB site closely.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16460 posts
8337 upvotes
Ottawa
I would bet good money that this is a price error.

But what the heck....ordered. If they cancel it...no biggie. But $300 off the mid model 20" iMac is too good to pass up
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Mar 20, 2006
159 posts
11 upvotes
Let me tell you all, if this is legit then it's a killer deal.

I'm an Apple dealer and I can tell you there is NO profit on Apple products. They control pricing only in the sense that they have removed pretty much all the profit on their machines that you can't discount them.
The only people making money on Macs is Apple themselves, they have a huge 23% profit margin since they sell direct. We dealers have to live is a paltry 3-4% profit margin.

In any case, my old 20" model is going to my wife. I have a new 24" model coming in tomorrow. The 24" model is super-sweet ;)
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11362 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote: I would bet good money that this is a price error.

But what the heck....ordered. If they cancel it...no biggie. But $300 off the mid model 20" iMac is too good to pass up
There is no 17" model anymore (except for stock that will be cleared out), only a 20" and 24".
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1805 posts
16 upvotes
The new keyboard has gotten bad reviews and for good reason. All the keys are flat(!). Also the panel they use for the monitor is said to lack colour depth.
Jesus Saves, GOD Backs-Up

Packin HEAT
Deal Addict
Apr 16, 2004
1362 posts
2230 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Delroy666 wrote: This has to be a mistake. The pricing doesn't make any sense - a new 20" iMac for less than the previous-gen 17"?
If you go to the Apple.com website and watch the quicktime video of the Steve Jobs' presentation, you'll see that he talks about dropping the 17" model from the lineup and replacing a new 20" at the same old price point of $1199 USD.

Here's a link to the Apple website for the presentation. The talk about the new price structure shows up around 9 minutes in:
http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/r ... =q1wa2sz3x
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11362 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
MasZakrY wrote: The new keyboard has gotten bad reviews and for good reason. All the keys are flat(!). Also the panel they use for the monitor is said to lack colour depth.
I guess there's no way you could actually look at the monitor before stating this?

Also, the keys on my MacBook are flat. I didn't know if I would like it but it's an amazing design, it turns out. Try the iMac keyboard, it will likely be just as addictive.

And it's easy to switch between keyboards. Sadly, I'm on my work Dell keyboard now. : (
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
4058 posts
328 upvotes
Why are there wires with the keyboard and mouse? wireless is dirt cheap now, and the wires kill the asthetic of the machine which looks fantastic.

I heard people HATE the new keyboard. reminds me of the hated ibm PCjr long ago. Doesn't the mightmouse ball get dirty too?

Also, its a glossy screen, glossier that most, and apple even give you a black cleaning cloth! cool haha.

Looks wild anyways.
Ephemera

Member since 2005.
Jul 19, 2005
190 posts
ordered one. hope it holds up!
Oct 26, 2003
612 posts
273 upvotes
Markham
If i order one and BB later on change the price, would they

1) cancel my order
or
2) charge my credit card with the new price and ship to me?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16460 posts
8337 upvotes
Ottawa
speedyturtle wrote: If i order one and BB later on change the price, would they

1) cancel my order
or
2) charge my credit card with the new price and ship to me?
They couldn't charge you the new price. (you only authorized the old price when you completed the transaction). They would have to ask you first before they could charge you the new price.

They would most likely just cancel it if they didn't want to honour the price
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Jan 19, 2007
35 posts
4 upvotes
i was comparing the prices between bestbuy and apple.ca, and it seems like the 20" 2.0GHz and 2.4GHz, and 24" 2.4GHz are all at least $200 lower than the one on apple.ca so it's probably not a price mistake. still hope it stays though

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)