Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Amazon/BB] Ring Video Doorbell Pro $240 (reg $299, FS)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2017 12:36 am
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
nagooro wrote: How will these hold up for canadian winters? They are rated up to -21 deg celcius, is it even worth getting? I live in Edmonton
There is no battery in the ring pro, rating is not really applicable, but for what it's worth someone reported it working fine throughout a -20 to -30C winter.
http://shaunmerrigan.info/tech/ring-vid ... -charging/

Also, not sure how the wired option would work on the ring 2, if the wire is just used to charge the battery then it will be prone to low temp.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
sidshock wrote: I think Lowes only price matches Amazon and doesn't price beat.
PM'ing at Lowes is not a legitimate PM, part numbers are listed right on the product pages at each website are different.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Got mine installed.

I just connected to the two existing wires.

The set came with the pro kit with lots of contraptions.

I only used the unit, the faceplate, two mounting screws to the door frame and the one screw to secure the faceplate.

No wonder people say these things can easily be stolen lol. This was the first time I used my Ryobi drill.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
My Ring doorbell is hooked up to a wired doorbell, and it has a Chime Pro, and we usually have 2 Android phones and a tablet connected to it via the Ring app.

When there's a motion detect, we get the Chime alert within 2-5 seconds, the first Android alert within 5-15 seconds, and the 2nd and 3rd device alerts may be 30 seconds, 90 seconds, or never. It's like the first active device connection steals the alert sometimes. I think Ring is aware of this problem.

Same with doorbell press, except we get the analog doorbell instantly, followed quickly by the Chime Pro.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
alanbrenton wrote: Got mine installed.

I just connected to the two existing wires.

The set came with the pro kit with lots of contraptions.

I only used the unit, the faceplate, two mounting screws to the door frame and the one screw to secure the faceplate.
So you are not wiring the power kit to the mechanical chime ?!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
aasoror wrote: So you are not wiring the power kit to the mechanical chime ?!
Oh that's what that is for. No wonder there is a 2-3 seconds delay in the chime from when the button is pushed.

What does that wiring do besides making the mechanic chime real time?

Edit: Hmmm. Ring Door Bell status says Voltage is Very Good, wifi signal strength is Good.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/artic ... g-Doorbell

Question: What is the Pro Power Kit included with my Ring Video Doorbell Pro and how do I install it in my existing bell?

Answer: The Pro Power Kit included with your Video Doorbell Pro is a small device that makes sure that enough power is sent to your Ring Doorbell to function. It's required in order for your Ring Doorbell to function properly.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
alanbrenton wrote: What does that wiring do besides making the mechanic chime real time?
There is lots of speculations about this, and earlier revisions labeling it "night vision booster" isn't helping with a proper explanation either.
The most logical explanation (IMO) is that it keeps doorbell circuit closed (for the ring pro to function) without keeping the chime energized (as it will put the chime in parallel with the doorbell instead of in-series with the original configuration) the power kit will only energizes the chime when signaled for a button press by the ring pro.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2009
1224 posts
1331 upvotes
Calgary
nagooro wrote: How will these hold up for canadian winters? They are rated up to -21 deg celcius, is it even worth getting? I live in Edmonton
I'm in Calgary and it lasted through winter last year perfectly fine.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Seems the power kit is to make sure the unit gets enough voltage and protects the device from shorting. Last.comment is particularly insightful.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomation ... _required/

HelloTech installer here, all that kit does is provide extra power for infrared at night. If your night vision works flawlessly, I wouldn't worry about it. Those kits can also cause your mechanical chime motor to burn out/buzz/hum if they have a problem. Definitely remove it if you get any of that.
The newest version of the pro power kit, which is much smaller, seems to not have nearly as many issues.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Sep 17th, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
alanbrenton wrote: Seems the power kit is to make sure the unit gets enough voltage
Yup, by cutting off chime (not that much that can be done aside from that).
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Once our 30-day trial is up, will we be left with the Live View feature or will we still get emails for motions detected?
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
alanbrenton wrote: Once our 30-day trial is up, will we be left with the Live View feature or will we still get emails for motions detected?
Everything will function normally (including event recording), the only thing that you will lose is the ability to playback the recordings saved on Rings servers.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aasoror wrote: Everything will function normally (including event recording), the only thing that you will lose is the ability to playback the recordings saved on Rings servers.
From what I understand, you'll still get email/push notifications for motion detected and doorbell presses, but you'll need to open up the app right away to see who is at the door. It won't get recorded and accessible later if you missed the alert.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1223 posts
762 upvotes
rvs007 wrote: From what I understand, you'll still get email/push notifications for motion detected and doorbell presses, but you'll need to open up the app right away to see who is at the door. It won't get recorded and accessible later if you missed the alert.
Yes that's correct.

You have ~ 1 min to open the app (click on the Ring notification) and watch live event, but not the recorded events without subscription.

And to me, it's like $4 a month ... 2 coffee's. It's worth the $$ to me.

Speaking of Ring pro, anyone have any luck connecting at 5GHz? I can connect at 2.4GHz no problem but there's a lot of interference at that frequency and I'd rather connect if 5Ghz. I cannot connect at 5GHz for some unknown reason though. I've changed channels, changed password, but just no luck.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5744 posts
5510 upvotes
Toronto
number17 wrote: Yes that's correct.

You have ~ 1 min to open the app (click on the Ring notification) and watch live event, but not the recorded events without subscription.

And to me, it's like $4 a month ... 2 coffee's. It's worth the $$ to me.

Speaking of Ring pro, anyone have any luck connecting at 5GHz? I can connect at 2.4GHz no problem but there's a lot of interference at that frequency and I'd rather connect if 5Ghz. I cannot connect at 5GHz for some unknown reason though. I've changed channels, changed password, but just no luck.
Although 5GHz is technically faster and less congested, the signal has about half the range of 2.4 - that frequency also has more trouble going through walls and floors, so unless the AP is right beside your front door, you may be out of luck.

I think Ring offers a free Wifi extender if you complain loud enough; might want to give their support a call, if you haven't already.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1223 posts
762 upvotes
chadw01 wrote: Although 5GHz is technically faster and less congested, the signal has about half the range of 2.4 - that frequency also has more trouble going through walls and floors, so unless the AP is right beside your front door, you may be out of luck.

I think Ring offers a free Wifi extender if you complain loud enough; might want to give their support a call, if you haven't already.
Yes they have been nice enough to give me the extender for free already! It's just the extender also operates in 2.4GHz, and 2.4Ghz is so congested in my area I want to see if 5Ghz shows any improvement.

I did a wifi scan around my front door and the number of overlapping 2.4GHz signals is unbelievable. Yet there are only 3 x 5GHz AP's
Mar 6, 2005
638 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
I have also decided not to buy the Ring Doorbell becoz of the subscription fee. And it also cannot be integrated with my NVR.

Instead, I have bought the Kuna Light from Costco for less then $200. I am happy with it. It replaced my porch light, live video with 2-way audio, record video to the cloud, have motion detection, notification, and the video is accessible without subscription (the free plan kept video for 2 hrs). It even play a chime sound when it detects motion, so the visitor don't even have to press the door bell. =)

Here is a review on youtube comparing to the ring .....

And yes, audio on the Kuna Light are loud ....I have it set to 50% only as I have an enclosed porch and 50% is more then enough.

Kuna cannot integrate with my NVR either, but at least I don't have to pay for monthly subscription.... and don't have to mess around with my existing door bell and transformer.
I just wish they support Apple Homekit so I can control via Siri. But they do have an app that works well on iPhone.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1568 posts
613 upvotes
Brampton
slgta wrote: I have also decided not to buy the Ring Doorbell becoz of the subscription fee. And it also cannot be integrated with my NVR.

Instead, I have bought the Kuna Light from Costco for less then $200. I am happy with it. It replaced my porch light, live video with 2-way audio, record video to the cloud, have motion detection, notification, and the video is accessible without subscription (the free plan kept video for 2 hrs). It even play a chime sound when it detects motion, so the visitor don't even have to press the door bell. =)

Here is a review on youtube comparing to the ring .....

And yes, audio on the Kuna Light are loud ....I have it set to 50% only as I have an enclosed porch and 50% is more then enough.

Kuna cannot integrate with my NVR either, but at least I don't have to pay for monthly subscription.... and don't have to mess around with my existing door bell and transformer.
I just wish they support Apple Homekit so I can control via Siri. But they do have an app that works well on iPhone.
Can you pls share the Costco link

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)