Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Is BBB accreditation good for your businesses ?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2021 9:48 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1007 posts
216 upvotes

Is BBB accreditation good for your businesses ?

We were thinking to get BBB accreditation, is it worth it ? Every year we have to pay around $600-$700 ? Kindly share your ideas.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9200 posts
5049 upvotes
As a savvy consumer, I find BBB accreditation to be almost meaningless in today's times. Even if a company is not registered, there may be some information on their system about complaints, etc. that may or may not be helpful.
But it seems that it is more of paying for a rating than being meaningful to the consumer.

Alternatively, as a consumer I would rely on references and reviews from customers taking the latter with a grain of salt.

Depending on the industry you're in, there may be different places you can use to promote your business with customer reviews but personally I wouldn't pay so much for the BBB membership. On the flip side, using a BBB business is no guarantee of customer satisfaction, either.
Nov 23, 2014
538 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MK1986 wrote: We were thinking to get BBB accreditation, is it worth it ? Every year we have to pay around $600-$700 ? Kindly share your ideas.

It depends on your business .If your business is B to C and heavily dependent on trust and reliability.Then go for it
But you need to strive hard to maintain good rating

Having a no BBB rating is better than have a bad BBB rating
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
2026 posts
539 upvotes
Toronto
BBB is completely irrelevant.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
2063 posts
445 upvotes
Calgary
I have to agree with the other posters. BBB is really a thing of the past. At a time when there was no Internet, they were a place where disagreements could be placed in public view. There was somewhat of a review & judgment process (although heavily biased in favour of the business). However, the BBB organization was asleep at the switch by not being an early adopter of technology for online reviews. They could have been leading the parade rather than the street sweepers at the end. Unless they can pull off a clever re-branding pivot, I suspect they will drift into obscurity like Yellow Pages.

On the other hand, modern reviews on the Internet/social media are such a crap shoot. Many people who review things don't really possess the skills or credentials to make a balanced credible review. They are usually just axe-grinding or star-struck love-ins. Any moron with an issue can gain an international audience. When I found out you can hire offshore firms to create bad reviews for your competitors or good reviews for yourself, I moved on from the whole review thing. I still believe strongly in word-of-mouth referrals but I feel there is no magic method to quickly or efficiently get them other than the time-consuming, hard work of excellent customer service and fair pricing.

All that being said, we actually still maintain our BBB membership. I'm struggling to find solid reasons why we do... perhaps I'm too lazy to cancel it. Or maybe the annual amount is below some "radar" threshold. I suppose the dollar cost simply gets lost in the many places we spend our marketing budget. (I've been known to spend more on dumber things!) But for a new business starting out where every penny counts, I'd put your money somewhere else.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1682 posts
854 upvotes
Regina
No not at all they are nothing, but a scam.
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12189 posts
3180 upvotes
--
Not once have I ever actually checked BBB for any information.

If I'm not mistaken they can't help with any issues related to a transaction, so what's the point.

Nowadays social media reviews and google reviews at least for me tell a real story of people's experiences vs a site a business has to pay to be listed on.