Personal Finance

[BBC] South Korea becomes first major Asian economy to raise interest rates (from 0.5% to 0.75%)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2021 4:37 pm
[OP]
Banned
Mar 3, 2021
707 posts
356 upvotes

[BBC] South Korea becomes first major Asian economy to raise interest rates (from 0.5% to 0.75%)

[BBC] South Korea becomes first major Asian economy to raise interest rates (from 0.5% to 0.75%) https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58338261

It is the first time the Bank of Korea has raised its main interest rate for almost three years. The decision comes as the central bank attempts to balance helping to support the country's economic recovery against the risks of surging debt and rising inflation.

Note: Most countries that have raised the cost of borrowing so far this year have been in emerging economies that have seen inflation accelerate as demand for goods and services recovered.

****Canada no doubt, will be waiting for the US to sneeze, before catching the cold!***
9 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12368 posts
11266 upvotes
Good rates are way too low!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2405 posts
762 upvotes
New Brunswick
The US can't raise rates or it will be bankrupt...
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
5647 posts
7551 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
I find it odd that central banks don't change interest rates in smaller increments.

If increasing rates 0.25% is too much, how about 0.05%? Perhaps that could be a way to slowly ween rates back to normal?

With inflation creeping up, South Korea is also dealing with a hot real estate market and highly indebted consumers. Not surprise with this move.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $7000/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
8679 posts
5525 upvotes
Vancouver
You know things are bad when an increase of 0.25% is considered a problem
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5875 posts
2127 upvotes
Space
BBC… Asian… that’s all I read before I clicked the link. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37397 posts
5246 upvotes
Winnipeg
25 basis points is nothing
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2009
1202 posts
829 upvotes
Countries need to just start raising rates and let it work itself out. Do it slowly, but keep it increasing. Try to minimize the pain, but don't balk at the first sign of pain. If people have over-borrowed, they deserve some pain.

You bought a million dollar house and you could only afford it with a ton of debt, and now interest rates are up .25% and you can't afford it? Yeah, sorry, you deserve to lose your house. Government shouldn't have lowered rates so much in the first place, but people need to use their heads and take responsibility for themselves and their own actions. Disgusting that the government tries to baby us so much and that at the first sign of pain the governments will intervene. Should never have come to this, but they need to set things right and get rates back up a few percent over the next few years. (which they won't)
Oct 31, 2006
294 posts
151 upvotes
nah these people are conservative. Whats going on in the US and to a lesser extent is that wages are going up so that debt doesn't start growing out of control with the inflation. South Korea isn't letting their wages grow. Too bad for them they will pay economically. No wage growth = no growth period.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1438 posts
902 upvotes
Ottawa
sffpcgtx wrote: [BBC] South Korea becomes first major Asian economy to raise interest rates (from 0.5% to 0.75%) https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58338261

Note: Most countries that have raised the cost of borrowing so far this year have been in emerging economies that have seen inflation accelerate as demand for goods and services recovered.

****Canada no doubt, will be waiting for the US to sneeze, before catching the cold!***
No doubt (re sneeze).
divx wrote: 25 basis points is nothing
It's not much but it's an actual shift, rather than just talk. There's still lots of people saying all this about higher rates is sabre-rattling, ain't gonna happen. I don't think anyone's crystal ball is good enough to know how much and when (and where), but I think it will send a signal when i) someone, anyone starts raising rates and the Skies of the Global Economy don't fall, and ii) when US, UK, and eventually Canada start following, no matter how tentatively.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)