Tags:
[OP]
May 13, 2009
241 posts
390 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

BBCode for tables

Hi,

Can someone tell me if BBCode for tables works in posting? I tried and it is rendering it as is, and not as BBCode (table).

Thanks.
12 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14155 posts
26580 upvotes
Scarborough
We do not support tables at the moment. Existing tables prior to our upgrade to PHPBB still appear but new code is not supported. If we get enough requests for tables it's possible we can add support back in.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
May 13, 2009
241 posts
390 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Thanks for the reply Tom.

The purpose of the tables is to format LCBO/SAQ Scotch prices with size, alcohol, and direct links. It will make presentation of tabular data much easier to read. From a technical point of view, tables in HTML are very much a standard.

If anyone also wants tables, please upvote this thread or just reply so that @TomRFD is made aware.

Thank you for your time.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18357 posts
26197 upvotes
ONTARIO
I would like to see tables added back please. I recently tried making a table for a list of contest prizes and realized it didn't work (which is how I found this thread). So I ended up having to link to an image of the table.

Also I see font size, colour and strikethrough are already supported, but you have to manually type out the bbcode and HEX colour you want to use. Is it possible to add bbcode buttons for these to the ones above to make it easier?

Code: Select all

A code bbcode button would be nice too
Sep 30, 2001
28313 posts
7313 upvotes
Toronto
I also would like to see a return of the colour selection and font size tool like we used to have.
FS: Xbox One X (NEW)

We're all in this together. Be kind and civil with one another
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14155 posts
26580 upvotes
Scarborough
The buttons were removed mainly for design reasons (to create a cleaner interface) but also because they were very rarely used. Those who want to use them still can however they need to manually type out the code for it. Bringing some options back as buttons isn't off the table but we've had very little feedback asking for this.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18357 posts
26197 upvotes
ONTARIO
TomRFD wrote: The buttons were removed mainly for design reasons (to create a cleaner interface) but also because they were very rarely used. Those who want to use them still can however they need to manually type out the code for it. Bringing some options back as buttons isn't off the table but we've had very little feedback asking for this.
What about leaving the quick reply the same but if you use the "Go Advanced" you would see more options? I believe that's how it worked on the old version of the forums.
Or maybe just have an "Advanced" toggle button on the bbcode icon bar that would by default hide extra bbcode icons that are less used. When toggled on however, they would appear?

I don't know how easy or difficult it would be to add that though.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14155 posts
26580 upvotes
Scarborough
BobSagget wrote: What about leaving the quick reply the same but if you use the "Go Advanced" you would see more options? I believe that's how it worked on the old version of the forums.
Or maybe just have an "Advanced" toggle button on the bbcode icon bar that would by default hide extra bbcode icons that are less used. When toggled on however, they would appear?

I don't know how easy or difficult it would be to add that though.
I know I brought that up originally (keeping more options on advanced reply) but in the end it was decided to keep the formatting option the same on both pages. Is it mainly just tables you want to see return to the forums?
Sep 29, 2010
243 posts
3138 upvotes
I would love to see tables added as well. I've been creating sale lists for games that would be good in tables. For example, this post.

In any case, my workaround is to create and share a spreadsheet from Google Sheets if I need to use tables or for large lists to get around the max character limitation (which is to be expected with the links and additional markup).
[OP]
May 13, 2009
241 posts
390 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
laggyshield wrote: I would love to see tables added as well. I've been creating sale lists for games that would be good in tables. For example, this post.

In any case, my workaround is to create and share a spreadsheet from Google Sheets if I need to use tables or for large lists to get around the max character limitation (which is to be expected with the links and additional markup).
That post needs more table! :)
[OP]
May 13, 2009
241 posts
390 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Anyone else? I just reran my scraper for Scotch prices, and yeah, it looks terrible when I post it with no tables :(
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4576 posts
6675 upvotes
Montreal
TomRFD wrote: The buttons were removed mainly for design reasons (to create a cleaner interface) but also because they were very rarely used. Those who want to use them still can however they need to manually type out the code for it. Bringing some options back as buttons isn't off the table but we've had very little feedback asking for this.
BobSagget wrote: What about leaving the quick reply the same but if you use the "Go Advanced" you would see more options? I believe that's how it worked on the old version of the forums.
Or maybe just have an "Advanced" toggle button on the bbcode icon bar that would by default hide extra bbcode icons that are less used. When toggled on however, they would appear? (...)
TomRFD wrote: (…) I know I brought that up originally (keeping more options on advanced reply) but in the end it was decided to keep the formatting option the same on both pages. (…)
I would like to see more (all?) bbcodes implemented and "advertised" (showed).
It's a cheap way to improve the member's experience.
I thought they were removed in the new Website.
I did not know that some were still supported even though not shown.
If you don't show the option, people will think it's not available and of course, fewer and fewer people will use them.

+1 for “BobSagget" idea: just add a “More…” button if you want a cleaner interface.
Feb 21, 2008
119 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
Would love to be able to use tables to show comparisons between products.