• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2019 3:04 am
[OP]
Jan 19, 2007
900 posts
401 upvotes
Torontario

BBM - BlackBerry Messenger - RIP today @ May-31st

In the times, when smartphones did not exist, there was Blackberry.
And there was BBM ...which at times looked better than other alternatives - MSN Messenger, Skype, Yahoo messenger and others.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/31/1864 ... d-imessage

Even with good applications, bad things happen. Poor executive foresight of the RIM's dynamic duo to pivot and open up the BB eco-system + technical obsolescence catches up with even the best applications - so it joins many other dead or virtually dead comm platforms: ICQ, AOL

So, in breathing its last day, please join me in the farewell of BBM!!!
RIP BBM - you were good!
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
5581 posts
3405 upvotes
Toronto
ohnabatko wrote:
May 31st, 2019 11:31 am
So, in breathing its last day, please join me in the farewell of BBM!!!

So long !!

I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Jun 5, 2010
761 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
Fun article. Though I'm saddened by the loss of BBM.

I was still using it with family members up to last month. But then starting migrating to new services. I still have several services on my phone (ie Signal, Whatsapp, Messenger, etc)

If you're a BBM diehard, then you likely already know about BBM Enterprise. It's a paid service, but they are giving a year free iOS and Android users based on the news of BBM dying. I doubt many people will use it.

Also note, this was BBM for Android and iOS dying. Because it was run by Emtek. Blackberry sold BBM out to Emtek years ago, for Android and iOS devices. And after a few years, it wasn't making enough money. So they've shut it down.

I think BBM on Blackberry devices still runs. But BB10 OS devices are EOL at the end of the year. We're not sure yet what will happen at that point.

One point though. Article briefly talked about RIM/Blackberry's financial troubles. Blackberry is actually doing well now. They are just out of the mobile phone business.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7273 posts
1648 upvotes
Mississauga
I was a big BBM fan back in the day. Sorry to see it go.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21863 posts
2446 upvotes
Montreal
Whatsapp now? BBM? Never heard of it.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2299 posts
470 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
it was actually yesterday it shut down, so meaning you could not sign up yesterday it was may 30 the actual last day to use it, i was bbm user for over 10 years, when i got my first blackberry. i loved it, but not cus of the bbm but cus the push mail and other cool things like service books. so since bbm is gone now, most of you can go online to blackberry, com and permanently delete your blackberry id account, why keep your personal information on the cloud in the hands of some company if you never plan to use it ever again, right? go and delete that stuff
Hi
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30467 posts
5012 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I was a die hard BlackBerry user. But the second they abandoned BB10, I had to switch. Tried the iPhone, hated it. Android is no better, but it beats iOS
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5465 posts
1631 upvotes
Space
It’s not technically dead. BBMe fills the void. It’s just not free.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
3919 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
I had to re-read the article 3 times to make sure I was believing what I read. I didn't think BBM was going to shut down at all since it became a multi platform service. RIP BBM, I used to use that service and it was really good for its time. Really made messaging felt like it was back in the MSN days of their messenger.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16339 posts
6295 upvotes
Oakville
I remember trying it out when it came to Android/iOS... But since literally nobody I knew had a BB device anymore, and all had moved on to other messaging platforms (mostly split between Viber/WhatsApp and FB Messenger), it quickly got uninstalled. I didn't think it would last long, TBH.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12043 posts
3020 upvotes
Ottawa
Skilas wrote:
May 31st, 2019 12:37 pm
If you're a BBM diehard, then you likely already know about BBM Enterprise. It's a paid service, but they are giving a year free iOS and Android users based on the news of BBM dying. I doubt many people will use it.
there's no point migrating to it because you lose your contacts, chat history and all of the consumer features. It's as bare bones as the chat clients come.

BBM on the BB10 devices still runs on the old Blackberry servers and should continue to exist as long as they keep the lights on with BBMe.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.