Jul 25, 2019
251 posts
77 upvotes
luv_gr8_deals wrote: Do you recommend the Spirit over the Spirit ii ?
Potentially - see quote below. That said, the warranty on the Spirit ii is better (10 yrs everything vs. 2/5/10 yrs on the Spirit i, depending on the part). Do you prefer having a cart door or having it open?
Expliciate wrote: The original Spirits were made in the USA. They used better materials and had better quality control compared to the newer Spirit IIs, which are now all made in China.
All of the Genesis II except for the E310 are still made in the USA. I had a chance to take a look at the Genesis II E-310 which is now made in China, but the quality drop isn't as bad as the transition for the Spirit line.

If you get the chance to compare them side-by-side in person, I'm sure you'll feel and notice the difference just from opening the hood and knocking on the metal pieces, etc. It's easier to differentiate with the product at hand.
In terms of how they compare with quality:
Genesis II E-330+ (USA) > Genesis II E-310 (China) > Spirit (USA) > Spirit II (China)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19674 posts
12771 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
beancounter6 wrote: Potentially - see quote below. That said, the warranty on the Spirit ii is better (10 yrs everything vs. 2/5/10 yrs on the Spirit i, depending on the part). Do you prefer having a cart door or having it open?
Both of those features are "nice to have." I don't see either as essential. A Weber should last 10 years if treated with respect, an annual cleaning, etc. The cart door looks better (IMO) but doesn't have any functional value if you put a cover over the grill when it's not in use.

Another feature that the "II" has is connectivity to monitor temperature from a smartphone. Again, nice to have, especially for slow-cooking/smoking on low indirect heat, but hardly essential.

Since the original "I" is an old model I wouldn't buy it unless I can get it at a substantial discount, at least $100 less than the "II".
veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 25, 2019
251 posts
77 upvotes
xxxronjames wrote: So would you guys recommend the Broil King Baron 440 $799 over the Weber Spirit II E-310 ($649) simply because of the made in Canada vs China factor?
I don't think the made in Canada factor is worth $150 more. Made in China seems to get a bad rap for BBQs. Yes, there are no name brands that are made in China that are garbage (can be said for anything, really). That said, Weber is quality so you're not really comparing apples to apples.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19674 posts
12771 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
beancounter6 wrote: Made in China seems to get a bad rap for BBQs.
And many other products too. Some of that may be deserved, e.g. PPE that doesn't meet specifications or low-cost, no-name brands of almost anything.
That said, Weber is quality so you're not really comparing apples to apples.
The same holds for many other products. Apple smartphones are known for their high quality even though they're made in China. The same for many other high-tech products. OTOH there are lots of generic, no name products, including smartphones and other high-tech products, that are made in China and have a deserved reputation for poor quality.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 25, 2019
251 posts
77 upvotes
bylo wrote: And many other products too. Some of that may be deserved, e.g. PPE that doesn't meet specifications or low-cost, no-name brands of almost anything.

The same holds for many other products. Apple smartphones are known for their high quality even though they're made in China. The same for many other high-tech products. OTOH there are lots of generic, no name products, including smartphones and other high-tech products, that are made in China and have a deserved reputation for poor quality.
For sure. I guess my point is that ppl here are splitting hairs on buying a Weber made in the USA vs. made in China, and point is at the end of the day, I'm not sure there is much of a difference.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19674 posts
12771 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
beancounter6 wrote: For sure. I guess my point is that ppl here are splitting hairs on buying a Weber made in the USA vs. made in China, and point is at the end of the day, I'm not sure there is much of a difference.
Agreed. It's generally cheaper to manufacture the same item in China compared to Canada or the US. As Apple and many others have demonstrated, it's possible to do that without compromising on quality.

Some posters have commented that made-in-USA Webers feel sturdier than made-in-China models. But even that can be misleading. I recall back in the 1970s when Japanese made cars came to NA, they were dismissed as being flimsier than NA cars because they used lighter body panels and thinner mechanical parts. What the critics missed was that the steel was a higher quality and the parts were better engineered. Also the cars were better designed and better assembled than what Detroit was producing. So even though they may have seemed flimsier, they actually were better products that provided higher quality, more durability and cost less than their domestic competitors. Forty years later and Detroit still doesn't seem to get that.

One shouldn't judge a book by the stiffness of its cover,
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 1, 2001
747 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like another week without BBQ deals on Weber spirit II 310 or broil king signet 320.
Are these two pretty equal?
Apr 20, 2020
42 posts
22 upvotes
You are looking at a 4 burner with a side burner vs a 3 burner with no side tray. Are those features important?

Despite being made in China, the weber will be better built and have a better cook box. Both are good BBQ's just depends on features and if you are willing to spend on them.
Nov 1, 2001
747 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
ORKYYC wrote: You are looking at a 4 burner with a side burner vs a 3 burner with no side tray. Are those features important?

Despite being made in China, the weber will be better built and have a better cook box. Both are good BBQ's just depends on features and if you are willing to spend on them.
I guess I don't need side burner. Prices are pretty close. I think $629 vs $649.
Nov 17, 2004
322 posts
148 upvotes
beancounter6 wrote: Here is something for those looking for a natural gas Weber. Could probably PM this at homedepot for another 10% off.

https://dicksonbbq.com/products/genesis ... 50e7163527
Just checked HD, it appears they carry only Genesis E-310. For $50 more I'd rather go with Dickson BBQ's S-310. You get stainless cooking grill and flavouriser bars vs. cast iron and porcelain enamel respectively. Plus Dickson ships free anywhere in Canada, or free assembly and contact-less backyard delivery and setup (not curb side dropoff) if you're in Toronto. Not to mention Dickson is also an authorised Weber Alliance Dealer.
Sep 11, 2017
139 posts
74 upvotes
Hi guys. Just buying my first propane BBQ. Looking for something on a budget, It's going to be mostly for personal use (3 people). Could be portable. Please let me know your suggestions, thanks
Nov 1, 2001
747 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
How often do BBQ get restocked? Home Depot, Lowe's and Rona out of stock
Nov 3, 2013
469 posts
595 upvotes
Regina, SK
Costco in Regina, SK has the Weber Spirit E-300 for $699. Is there anything comparable at this price or should I just go with this one? It has a side burner but I don't see myself ever really using it. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

texem71