• Jun 18th, 2016 10:18 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 25, 2011
185 posts
22 upvotes

BBQ leaking gas

Hope everyone is keeping cool this weekend! We went in the backyard this morning and noticed a very strong smell of propane. The bbq was off but the propane canister valve was open. It shouldn't still leak in this instance, am I correct? I noticed some wearing (chewing?) on the tube connecting the gas canister to the bbq. Could this be the source of the gas leak?

I do not like to mess with gas so am I happy to get a new bbq if that is the problem. We have a weber that is about 6 years old.

Thanks for any input!

Edit: we had not used the bbq in 5 days and only noticed the smell today.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4330 posts
3778 upvotes
Toronto
You can make up a solution of dishwashing detergent and water, stir it up (so it's bubbly), then dab it around. An air leak will show up via bubbles. You can also buy pre-made solution that comes with a dabber at Home Depot, in the gas fitting/plumbing section.

If all the propane has leaked out, then it won't work, of course.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20136 posts
7433 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I believe you are supposed to turn off the gas at the tank after each use but no one does it.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Aug 11, 2004
361 posts
49 upvotes
I turn it off at the tank all the time. If you ever saw a bbq on fire you would turn the tank off all the time :)
Mar 27, 2009
543 posts
67 upvotes
homo_ner wrote: The bbq was off but the propane canister valve was open. It shouldn't still leak in this instance, am I correct?
Yes you are correct.

I would highly suspect the chewed hoses. The previous recommendation of using soap to find the leak is correct.

Replace the leaking hose or fix the leaking connection is the way to go. Likely no reason to replace entire BBQ.

Good luck!