• Jan 21st, 2021 7:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13775 posts
3131 upvotes
Pacific Ocean

BBQ: Liquid smoke - where to buy??

K, wanna try doing pork baby back ribs in the oven. Need that smokey flavor a la liquid smoke. Saw old thread here from 2016 but info obviously not up to date. Thread mentioned Metro... but when you do a search, zilch comes up... unless it goes under another search term. Where to buy in Toronto/GTA??

If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7124 posts
4412 upvotes
Between Countries
Did you go and look? I see liquid smoke all the time in various supermarkets in the condiments section. Woodland Hickory liquid smoke seems most in stock. Our RCSS has it all the time. And I've most definitely seen liquid smoke at Metro recently.

BTW, if we're talking short cuts, you can also to ribs in a pressure cooker.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1632 posts
665 upvotes
They sell it in most stores I've seen. Just ask the store workers, they usually no where they are.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29042 posts
14590 upvotes
I don't think I've not seen it in grocery stores.

Whatever you find, read the label. There shouldn't be much more in there than smoke and water.
Some have colors, flavors, etc that definitely don't belong.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
Cabela's or Old Bass Pro shops, applewood smoke. The grocery stores sell almost exclusively hickory or mesquite based smoke and they are both really strong raunchy smokes. Applewood smoke is more general purpose, goes with more things. Maybe $8?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13775 posts
3131 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
UrbanPoet wrote: ^ the above mentioned liquid smoke is everywhere. I’ve seen it at

-no frills
-food basic
-metro
-loblaws
-walmart
-freshco
So far... nothing. Tho I havent tried every store location which wud be ridiculous.

-walmart - Nope
-no frills - Nope
-RCSS - Nope
-Food Basics - Nope

Leaves me with loblaws, Freshco's, and metro. They're up next. lol. *sigh*
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49957 posts
13990 upvotes
ONTARIO
aznnorth wrote: So far... nothing. Tho I havent tried every store location which wud be ridiculous.

-walmart - Nope
-no frills - Nope
-RCSS - Nope
-Food Basics - Nope

Leaves me with loblaws, Freshco's, and metro. They're up next. lol. *sigh*
Did you try the condiment section or asking staff?
You can have half of mine if you like.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
1075 posts
397 upvotes
I also looked around before and eventually found it at Whole Foods
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17965 posts
12640 upvotes
Markham
Just a FYI when you use liquid smoke and cook with it, I find the "smokey" flavour kindof permeates your house like you've been smoking food inside. You spouse may be not too pleased. Just sayin...
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13775 posts
3131 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
UrbanPoet wrote:
Did you try the condiment section or asking staff?
You can have half of mine if you like.
Checked at Freshco's. Nothing. The stock guy said yea, there are issues getting this year's inventory. Apparently they are all shipped from the US and they have supply chain issues aka the beer virus. Affecting the grocers up here. That explains everything. No Frills dude said the same - no inventory this year.. No sense looking now.
gr8dlr wrote: Just a FYI when you use liquid smoke and cook with it, I find the "smokey" flavour kind of permeates your house like you've been smoking food inside. You spouse may be not too pleased. Just sayin...
Heard the same. +1. Forget the smoke. Dont need it now. Supply chains are dead.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13775 posts
3131 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Had a meeting at a business near a Metro's. Something told me to check it out. Well what do you know - only 3 bottles of liquid smoke left. Considering the supply chain issues stateside this was a lucky find. Not the hickory that I wanted but mesquite... good enuff. This 4oz fluid bottle costs $3.99. Same bottle on amazon.ca? $12.99, wtf.

https://www.amazon.ca/COLGIN-NATURAL-ME ... 941&sr=8-5

Last edited by aznnorth on Jul 22nd, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29042 posts
14590 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: This same 4oz fluid bottle costs $3.99. same bottle on amazon.ca?? $12.99, wtf.
Sold by Tinotenda and Fulfilled by Amazon.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Sep 12, 2020
4 posts
3 upvotes
I've never used liquid smoke before and decided to try some recipes with it. Searched on amazon and saw the Colgin brand for $12.00 .Didn't buy cuz reviews and Q&A said "Why is this 3x more than supermarket" searched on supermarkets and didn't find any results. Then found this thread after googling where to buy.

Guess i'm not gonna try those recipes anytime soon. But i'll drop by the condiments section each time I go grocery shopping and hopefully I'll get lucky.
Dec 11, 2007
416 posts
399 upvotes
Markham
Found Wright’s liquid smoke hickory flavor at Loblaw’s in Markham.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)