Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 30, 2009
214 posts
34 upvotes
Montreal

BBQ Replacement parts

So it was extremely windy today in Montreal, and I came back home to find that my BBQ actually fell forward and the handle + metal around it broke in such a way that I can't re-attach it (I wish I was joking). This means I need a new casting top.

This doesn't seem to be covered by the warranty, so any ideas where I can get a casting top instead of replacing the whole bbq?

The BBQ is this one: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/2-burne ... bbq/909206
Only replacement I found till now is from a website called ereplacementparts and it's 120$, so not so sure it's worth it.

Thanks.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9231 posts
2902 upvotes
London
A $200 BBQ is essentially disposable.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2008
1166 posts
591 upvotes
Edmonton
Yeah. no point in replacing the top even if you could find a replacement at this price point of BBQ. Maybe if it was a $800+ bbq, then maybe it would be worth replacing parts. If you got 2 years out of that bbq, then you should be happy, otherwise call it lesson learned. If you replace it with a similar type of flimsy bbq where it is top heavy, I suggest you put some weights on the bottom shelf to keep it from moving.
Apr 1, 2015
395 posts
173 upvotes
Oakville
the manufacturer will provide part numbers... which may (or may not) be also provided true to material fitting by 3rd party replacement brands. the handle part you can probably find through broil mate... for the top housing? i dunno... cost-wise it may come to as much as you paid for the entire thing for (when all is said for with added shipping/duties/etc.)
[OP]
Dec 30, 2009
214 posts
34 upvotes
Montreal
I didn't even get 2 years out of it, which kinda sucks. Bought it last year in July, and now it breaks in May. I'll call up Broilmate and see what they can do, otherwise i'll chalk it up to bad luck and buy another one. I'll follow canukeneh advice and find some way to put weights at the bottom inside of it so this doesn't happen again.
Dec 1, 2014
81 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Broil-Mate is made bay OMC in Canada, so parts should be readily available, but if you can't find it in a local BBQ specialty store, the high shipping cost in Canada will make it not worth your time.

Maybe check Craigslist or Kijiji for a second hand one just for the lid
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4247 posts
3081 upvotes
Montreal
Another vote for not worth it if a big part like that broke. Even if they can/are willing to sell you it, they'll probably want $150 for it.
[OP]
Dec 30, 2009
214 posts
34 upvotes
Montreal
Just to give you guys an update. The piece that broke was about 2" in height and 18" in width. I went to homedepot and got myself a metal sheet that was something like 24" in width and 6" in height. I took a scissor from their rental department and cut it in half right there and then. The cut is not perfect, but it will do the job. I also bought a few screws and nuts.

I went back home, made 4 holes through the metal sheet using the drill. I made 2 corresponding holes in the BBQ lid, attached the metal sheet to the lid using the screws and nuts. I then attached the handle to the metal sheet, and now I have a working BBQ again. Sure it's a patch-up job, but I didn't wanna buy another BBQ after using it only for 1 season. I already did a couple of BBQs, and it works fine. Total cost was like $8.50 + a couple of hours of my free time.