Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3703 posts
2688 upvotes
toronto

BBQ side dishes, what are your go-to's?

I'm having a few bbq's coming up and looking for a few tasty side dishes that can be pulled off with minimal effort but still impress. I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone makes. All ethnicity and foot types welcome!
Got that ZOOMER account!
19 replies
Mar 14, 2013
675 posts
754 upvotes
Toronto
queso! It's all the new craze lol just stick all your ingredients in a pan and let it melt!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3703 posts
2688 upvotes
toronto
btwitsmatt wrote: queso! It's all the new craze lol just stick all your ingredients in a pan and let it melt!
do you have a specific recipe that you like best?
Got that ZOOMER account!
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10970 posts
4256 upvotes
Sweet potatoes. Cut them in chunks and throw on the grill, cook well done. They are amazing, require no seasoning and go well with steaks
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Oct 10, 2004
902 posts
196 upvotes
Winnipeg
A couple cans of Bush pork 'n beans, jazzed up with freshly roasted and ground cumin, some barbecue sauce and either burnt ends or pulled pork, This goes in the smoker along with whatever else is in there. Two hours at least.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
4594 posts
1373 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
I've made mustard coleslaw the last couple times as a side or sandwich topper.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1177 posts
1055 upvotes
blexann wrote: Sweet potatoes. Cut them in chunks and throw on the grill, cook well done. They are amazing, require no seasoning and go well with steaks
I just wash them well, pierce so they don't explode, wrap in foil and cook them 10 to 15 minutes then turn for another 10 to 15.

Only recently discovered sweets and since rarely make baked potatoes.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49431 posts
12993 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Bagged coleslaw...
Spruced up with diced cilantro, and green onions. Flavoured with mayo $, sriracha, and lemon/lime juice. An asian fusion twist on a classic salad... the extras add a summerY vibe.

Atomic buffalo turds. Half a jalapeño filled with cream cheese and wrapped with bacon. Stick a sliver of hot dog/sausage in the middle if you wanna be fancy.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4381 upvotes
velomane wrote: A couple cans of Bush pork 'n beans, jazzed up with freshly roasted and ground cumin, some barbecue sauce and either burnt ends or pulled pork, This goes in the smoker along with whatever else is in there. Two hours at least.
Definitely this. Also cornbread in a cast iron skillet!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7085 posts
4356 upvotes
Between Countries
Here are some of my favourites:

Potato salad (with pineapple and apple chunks)
Store bought coleslaw
Homefries
Potato wedges
Grilled bell peppers
Grilled pineapple
Grilled zucchini
Grilled corn on the cob
Garlic bread
Butter garlic roti
Butter garlic naan
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17542 posts
12271 upvotes
Markham
You can go to the Korean grocery store and buy several "banchan" sides like Kimchi, seaweed etc.

you can also make vegetarian "japchae" because sometimes there's too much meat or some ppl don't want to eat too much meat.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2619 posts
1842 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
velomane wrote: A couple cans of Bush pork 'n beans, jazzed up with freshly roasted and ground cumin, some barbecue sauce and either burnt ends or pulled pork, This goes in the smoker along with whatever else is in there. Two hours at least.
I would not say no to this as Bush's beans are my favourite. However, if it was a planned BBQ then I would make my own simple recipe baked beans in a slow cooker:

1 lb white beans, prep them according to instructions on the bag.
Once they have been prepped add them to the slow cooker with just enough water to cover.
Add sliced onion and pork or ham, your choice whether it is smoked, cured or natural.
Add one whole bottle of Bulls Eye BBQ sauce or whichever BBQ sauce you wish to try. Keep another bottle standing by if needed.
Slow cook on low for a minimum of 12 hours.
Taste before serving. Depending on the BBQ sauce used there may be a bit of "burned, bitter" taste, just add brown sugar to neutralize.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4705 posts
2762 upvotes
Milton, ON.
A huge pile of mixed roasted veggies tossed in harrissa when all done and then drizzled with tahini.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17542 posts
12271 upvotes
Markham
cRaZyRaVr wrote: A huge pile of mixed roasted veggies tossed in harrissa when all done and then drizzled with tahini.
Where's the Berbere spice?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36356 posts
10596 upvotes
Ottawa
Homemade potato salad and baked beans.
Corn on the cob when available
Mar 30, 2007
21 posts
13 upvotes
Richmond Hill
gr8dlr wrote: You can go to the Korean grocery store and buy several "banchan" sides like Kimchi, seaweed etc.

you can also make vegetarian "japchae" because sometimes there's too much meat or some ppl don't want to eat too much meat.
We make banchan. Sesame bean sprouts. Spinach. Japchae. You make it ahead so it saves time.
Or like others said: grilled veggies and corn on the cob which is on sale this week everywhere.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4705 posts
2762 upvotes
Milton, ON.
gr8dlr wrote: Where's the Berbere spice?
Not needed. Harissa will give you all you need on the vegg :)
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12623 posts
6688 upvotes
More meat.......

Seriously though, my go to is just grilled veggies or potatoes.
Apr 16, 2007
433 posts
655 upvotes
Northern Ontario
If it's just for my husband and I, we like to go simple with grilled veggies (we do eggplant, zucchini and mushrooms) or corn on the cob. Lightens up the meal and adds some freshness.

If it's for a party, I always go with a pasta dish because it seems to go well with guests. Either a baked macaroni and cheese (sometimes with bacon), or a light olive oil & lemon pasta salad (with chickpeas and roasted peppers, yum!).