BBZ30 $199/tx OR BBQ5 $99/tax FREE SHIP BB Employee Pricing for RFD family

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2016 5:36 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1756 posts
1064 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ha why the heck is it coming from Indianapolis Indiana? Says it will be here tomorrow though.
That seems like a weird place to be coming from since I live 20 minutes from Waterloo.
Jul 28, 2006
298 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
brobinsoncc wrote: ha why the heck is it coming from Indianapolis Indiana? Says it will be here tomorrow though.
That seems like a weird place to be coming from since I live 20 minutes from Waterloo.
Ingram Micro, one of BlackBerry's distribution partners, has a distribution centre in Indiana. I imagine much of the North American supply is there.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1756 posts
1064 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
They have a big ass warehouse in Cambridge. What do the have in there?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1305 posts
720 upvotes
Vaughan
nosebleedXD wrote: is the z30 worth it over the nexus 5 and lg g2?
Go for the Z30. The BB hub system of integrated communications is outstanding. All of these phones are now last generation, but the Z30 for $200 is a solid choice (I own one). You can load the Google Play store on the Z30 and get more apps than you will ever need. If you are leaning towards the Google product line then try the Asus Zen Fone 2 for $250 (brand new unlocked). I think both the Nexus5 and the LG G2 are obsolete even as budget Android phones. Asus Zen Fone 2 at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... -_-Product

Free pick up in-store for Zen Fone 2 if you are close to Canada Computers:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=083973

Mic
May 2, 2009
138 posts
26 upvotes
AFG786 wrote: Definitely not. App store is lacking. Other than that it seems way more fluid IMO than my N5 and iPhone 5s.

You can download google playstore as mentioned in OP, I don't believe it works for all apps though. I know it didn't work for a few of mine.
What apps have you been unable to obtain on your Z30?
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2012
2031 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto, ON
-InFeRnO- wrote: What apps have you been unable to obtain on your Z30?
Facebook Pages Manager
Google Analytics
Google My Business
Here Maps
Snapchat (heard this will not work!)
PayPal
Car2Go
Uber
PlayStation
Expedia

Edit: Trying patch method and will update within 1-2 hours. Update: Unsuccessful, the apps are "unable to install".

Also, from what I've been hearing none of the "Google" apps will work. Advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
Apr 21, 2010
9 posts
montreal
I plan on using my Z30 with Videotron. I assume since its unlocked that it can be used on any carrier? Videotron does not offer the Z30 but it offers the Z10 and a few other Blackberry phones hence my assumption is that the Z30 should work without any problem. Does the Z30 use a micro-sim card?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2593 posts
1185 upvotes
GTA
wxman42 wrote: I plan on using my Z30 with Videotron. I assume since its unlocked that it can be used on any carrier? Videotron does not offer the Z30 but it offers the Z10 and a few other Blackberry phones hence my assumption is that the Z30 should work without any problem. Does the Z30 use a micro-sim card?
The Z30 does use a micro sim. It is unlocked and is supposed to work on any Canadian carrier. Videotron is not available in my area so I really have no way of confirming that it works with them...maybe someone who is using the Z30 on Videotron can confirm?
Jun 9, 2015
1 posts
Surrey, BC
Hi everyone,

I'm currently on WIND Mobile with an iPhone 5 and was wondering if this would be a significant upgrade?

I value strong battery life and good call quality. Also, can the Porsche Design clock be used with this (as did the Z10)?

I'd like a code to order if everything checks out.

Thanks in advance!
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11490 posts
4123 upvotes
AFG786 wrote: Definitely not. App store is lacking. Other than that it seems way more fluid IMO than my N5 and iPhone 5s.

You can download google playstore as mentioned in OP, I don't believe it works for all apps though. I know it didn't work for a few of mine.
There is not one app that I am missing on my Z30. A few Android apps do not work but no matter what you want to do the Z30 can do. I would take a Z30 over an N5 anyday.
Oct 4, 2007
415 posts
166 upvotes
Had a couple issues with the z30 I got. It seems to randomly reboot. Probably a couple times a day. Doesn't seem related to anything specific (daughters phone). Once or twice she was swiping, another time think she was starting or exiting an app. Just BB apps on the phone. I updated her software yesterday, still having the same/similar issue.

Perhaps more concerning, two days ago she plugged it in to charge and went to bed. In the morning when she unplugged it, it went in a weird continual reboot. The words blackberry would appear on the screen, then it would go blank and one long pulse of red light....then blackberry would appear, then blank, red light, repeat. I ended up plugging it in, then pushed buttons and it rebooted fine. However, as mentioned I updated the phone yesterday and caught the phone getting stuck in eternal reboot yesterday evening, this time we were outside and she was trying to fix the time on her phone....it had lost 10 minutes. Pushing buttons seemed to kick it out of eternal reboot....when it came back on the clock lost another hour.

Any ideas? Defective?
Nov 20, 2006
298 posts
322 upvotes
-InFeRnO- wrote: What apps have you been unable to obtain on your Z30?
I'm not AFG786 but I had problems with some apps from the Play store. I used the instructions in the 1st post on how to remove the google dependencies and got them working. But the phone feature in Hangouts/Hangouts dialer does not work (don't know about the chat because I have nobody to test it on). It dials and still shows "Dialing" while the other phone rings but you cannot hear anything on either phone.
Nov 20, 2006
298 posts
322 upvotes
mobile_mic wrote: Go for the Z30. The BB hub system of integrated communications is outstanding. All of these phones are now last generation, but the Z30 for $200 is a solid choice (I own one). You can load the Google Play store on the Z30 and get more apps than you will ever need. If you are leaning towards the Google product line then try the Asus Zen Fone 2 for $250 (brand new unlocked). I think both the Nexus5 and the LG G2 are obsolete even as budget Android phones. Asus Zen Fone 2 at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... -_-Product

Free pick up in-store for Zen Fone 2 if you are close to Canada Computers:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=083973

Mic
Mic, as I posted above, Hangouts does not work on the Z30. I love Periscope too but the Crackberry people are still working on it. I am really thinking on getting the phone you are recommending, Asus Zen Fone 2. So, thanks and thanked. I'll go and check it out at the mall if they can be found.

ETA: I just need a small (5-6 inch) device to use over wifi (Skype, hangouts, email and light browsing) that is not too expensive ($200-250). I don't really need a regular phone as I have a work cellphone that is 4 years old but it works fine for calling and texting. I don't play games either. So the Zenfone 2 with 2GB memory would be fine for it?
Aug 9, 2010
103 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
maimin_matty wrote: Had a couple issues with the z30 I got. It seems to randomly reboot. Probably a couple times a day. Doesn't seem related to anything specific (daughters phone). Once or twice she was swiping, another time think she was starting or exiting an app. Just BB apps on the phone. I updated her software yesterday, still having the same/similar issue.

Perhaps more concerning, two days ago she plugged it in to charge and went to bed. In the morning when she unplugged it, it went in a weird continual reboot. The words blackberry would appear on the screen, then it would go blank and one long pulse of red light....then blackberry would appear, then blank, red light, repeat. I ended up plugging it in, then pushed buttons and it rebooted fine. However, as mentioned I updated the phone yesterday and caught the phone getting stuck in eternal reboot yesterday evening, this time we were outside and she was trying to fix the time on her phone....it had lost 10 minutes. Pushing buttons seemed to kick it out of eternal reboot....when it came back on the clock lost another hour.

Any ideas? Defective?
I can bet you're having the "sticking power button" issue, because I had it too when I got the phone last week. Basically when you press the power button to unlock the screen, it sticks at pressed position, making the phone reboot continuously with exactly the same symptoms you describe (BB logo, red light and repeat). The solution is very easy - remove the back cover and using a small nail file lightly file down the cutout for the power button. Focus mostly on the curves on both sides of the cutout ad I suspect this is where most of the "sticking" happens, but also do the flat portion in the middle. You need just a few light scratches, because we are talking about removing something like 1/10 of the millimeter. Actually, you might not even need to file it down, just use the edge of the file (or a small sharp knife) to scrape the internal edge of the button cutout. That should work and if it does, please report back, as it looks like it's a somewhat common issue.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12544 posts
3786 upvotes
is the power button stuck like other people in this thread ?
maimin_matty wrote: Had a couple issues with the z30 I got. It seems to randomly reboot. Probably a couple times a day. Doesn't seem related to anything specific (daughters phone). Once or twice she was swiping, another time think she was starting or exiting an app. Just BB apps on the phone. I updated her software yesterday, still having the same/similar issue.

Any ideas? Defective?
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2117 posts
661 upvotes
I got my Q5 in less than 2 days.

One flaw that I noticed with the Q5 is that the software won't update from 10.2.x to 10.3.x.

There is more than 4GB of available memory on the phone but it still displays an error message that I need to free up 333MB on the device. I tried deleting all the apps that I don't need such as FB, Linkedin, YouTube, etc but that didn't help. Can't delete any more apps as everything else is system apps. Tried updating from the link; that didn't work either.

I googled this. Apparently, almost everyone out there has problems with the Q5 regarding software update.

A big company like BB should resolve these issues before they roll out software updates or ship their products.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14160 posts
4229 upvotes
VANCOUVER
kulb wrote: I got my Q5 in less than 2 days.

One flaw that I noticed with the Q5 is that the software won't update from 10.2.x to 10.3.x.
Mind did. It's on 10.3.1.1865 (Mine's from Koodo though)
Sep 5, 2008
772 posts
191 upvotes
Halifax
kulb wrote: I got my Q5 in less than 2 days.

There is more than 4GB of available memory on the phone but it still displays an error message that I need to free up 333MB on the device. I tried deleting all the apps that I don't need such as FB, Linkedin, YouTube, etc but that didn't help. Can't delete any more apps as everything else is system apps. Tried updating from the link; that didn't work either.

I googled this. Apparently, almost everyone out there has problems with the Q5 regarding software update.

A big company like BB should resolve these issues before they roll out software updates or ship their products.
Use BB Link on your PC to install the update.