Expired Hot Deals

BBZ30 $199/tx OR BBQ5 $99/tax FREE SHIP BB Employee Pricing for RFD family

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2016 5:36 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2117 posts
661 upvotes
tb06mar wrote: Ordered on Sunday. Have it around 3:00pm today. Package box was not in shape and protective plastic bags were broken. Phone box was fine. Not an impressive box comparing with Nexus 5 and iPhone. Only charger and an ear bud and simple manual. Wired thing is $399 on the invoice coming with the package. I do not why. Hope they did not over charge me that much.
Thanks christov for the code.
I ordered the Q5 for $99. After reading your post, I looked at the paper invoice that came inside the box and it says $299.

However, the web invoice shows $99. I don't see any amount posted on my credit card yet.

Anyone else notice this discrepancy and were you charged the correct amount (after promo discount)?
Sep 11, 2007
61 posts
48 upvotes
ssbtech wrote: It's one of the big problems electric cars need to overcome - charge time vs lifespan and range.

Same thing for the phone. I had less than 2 years on my Z10's battery, but because I was using the PlayBook's higher amp charger on it, the runtime time per charge was becoming shorter and shorter.

The battery life on the Z30 is great, so plug it in at night and let it trickle-charge.

Electronic devices such as smart phones have a charge controller built in. You can't overcharge it.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1985 posts
161 upvotes
Rogido wrote: How about the flip side of the coin...can you overcharge the battery and also shorten the runtime? My wife has a habbit of plugging in her phone after dinner, but then forgets to unplug it before going to bed. So sometimes the thing is plugged in for 14+ hours.
If you look at the battery gauge, It stops charging once it reaches 100%

kulb wrote: I ordered the Q5 for $99. After reading your post, I looked at the paper invoice that came inside the box and it says $299.

However, the web invoice shows $99. I don't see any amount posted on my credit card yet.

Anyone else notice this discrepancy and were you charged the correct amount (after promo discount)?
Yes, I saw that too. It's a pack list, not an invoice.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1985 posts
161 upvotes
rsz1 wrote: Electronic devices such as smart phones have a charge controller built in. You can't overcharge it.
I never said you could. But frequently fast-charging it will shorten its lifespan.
Sep 11, 2007
61 posts
48 upvotes
ssbtech wrote: I never said you could. But frequently fast-charging it will shorten its lifespan.

My apologies. I meant to reply to Rogido.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2323 posts
433 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
kulb wrote: I got my Q5 in less than 2 days.

One flaw that I noticed with the Q5 is that the software won't update from 10.2.x to 10.3.x.

There is more than 4GB of available memory on the phone but it still displays an error message that I need to free up 333MB on the device. I tried deleting all the apps that I don't need such as FB, Linkedin, YouTube, etc but that didn't help. Can't delete any more apps as everything else is system apps. Tried updating from the link; that didn't work either.

I googled this. Apparently, almost everyone out there has problems with the Q5 regarding software update.

A big company like BB should resolve these issues before they roll out software updates or ship their products.
Have you tried to load non destructive files via Sachesi or Darcy Tools?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2117 posts
661 upvotes
ma678 wrote: Have you tried to load non destructive files via Sachesi or Darcy Tools?
I tried a few different things. Did a factory reboot and after that I was able to update it via the link.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22467 posts
3747 upvotes
Toronto
ssbtech wrote: I never said you could. But frequently fast-charging it will shorten its lifespan.
Is it considered fast charge if you use a higher Amp charger that your device can draw max at?

I want to make sure as I have used the Premium Playbook 1.8Amp charger to charge my Passport.

Don't want to kill the battery...
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2323 posts
433 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
kulb wrote: I tried a few different things. Did a factory reboot and after that I was able to update it via the link.
Load the latest 10.3.2.2204 and it will make difference on your Q5.
Oct 15, 2014
469 posts
531 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
Is there a Blackberry Blend for idiots or some such? I can't get my Q5 to link up to either one of my Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (ugh, ptui) computers by USB or WiFi for the life of me. BB Link works fine, upgraded my phone to OS 10.3.2.440
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1985 posts
161 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: Is it considered fast charge if you use a higher Amp charger that your device can draw max at?

I want to make sure as I have used the Premium Playbook 1.8Amp charger to charge my Passport.

Don't want to kill the battery...
I can't say for certain, but on my Z10, once I started using the PlayBook charger, it sure charged quickly, but I got less runtime out of a charge. Not even 2 years old and I was charging twice a day with light use. Granted it's not a big battery to begin with.

I'm playing it safe and slow-charging my Z30. With the capacity of the battery I don't need to "quickly charge it up" as it lasts the whole day. I'm going to bed with 50% battery left.
May 29, 2015
1 posts
Kitchener, ON
Can anyone tell me how the Z30 compares to the note 3 and htc one m8? Specifically screen resolution and camera? I own both the note 3 and htc and was debating getting the Z30. I'm very familiar with BB10 as I've owned the Z10 and Q10.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4647 upvotes
Montreal
Lobster2 wrote: just for apps ? Nope
For a phone you will enjoy using ? Yup !

I wrote a lot of bad things about the Z30 and OS10 but it is a great phone to use. I just love it and I am not even sure why, lol. Hub and gesture are great and the actual feeling in hand is great.
Im all for Android or iOS, but this phone is just great to use even with all the obvious things it doesnt have.

Im not planning to go back to Android for a while, Im perfectly happy with the Z30 !

Thanks again Christov
Good to see you coming around. :lol: It does grow on you. I took mine to the Grand Prix past weekend, non stop photos and video and BBM, texts, and calls to other friends all around the track all weekend long and still got 2 full days battery life. Truly amazing. Enjoy the phone!
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4647 upvotes
Montreal
Cantthinkofaname wrote: Is there a Blackberry Blend for idiots or some such? I can't get my Q5 to link up to either one of my Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (ugh, ptui) computers by USB or WiFi for the life of me. BB Link works fine, upgraded my phone to OS 10.3.2.440
You need to make sure you are on the latest Blackberry Blend on both your PC and device otherwise it won't work. There was a new Blend update but you need to download it from Beta Zone and not the regular BB Blend link.

Go here and sign in with your BB ID https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com/log ... ndex&item=
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1674 upvotes
Toronto
AceReaper wrote: PM if somebody need one unit BNIB in Montreal,
Same price I paid, 199$ + taxes, 230$
I bought it for someone, but he changed his mind.
I thought MTL taxes are lower than ONT. I paid $224 over here.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2006
1438 posts
1470 upvotes
Kitchener
all caught up on PM's up to 11:50PM EST on June 10.
Please PM if you need a code. Please include in the PM whether you want a Z30 code ($199) or a Q5 code ($99).
Also, if you received a code and no longer require it, send me a PM with your code so I can re-issue it to another member.
Thanks!
Banned
Nov 16, 2012
1837 posts
388 upvotes
EAST YORK
Hmmm fedex tracking says the package was delivered and signed for, but I actually never got it. Hopefully it won't take too much screwing around with them to find out what happened.
Sep 6, 2011
264 posts
274 upvotes
La Malbaie
Financials wrote: I thought MTL taxes are lower than ONT. I paid $224 over here.
14.975% taxes in Quebec. We usually pay more for everything and can't participate in most contests!
Mar 5, 2009
3 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax
I want to thank christov for the great deal as well. Also, some thoughts on how much things have improved since I last used a Z30 last fall:

- Android apps seem to run more smoothly.
- A couple of Android apps that I couldn't get to run at all now run.
- It is possible to install the Google Play store on the phone without using another computer. And patch apps that rely on play services so that they run (to a point).
- The lift to wake feature is awesome. I used to like the feature when used with an official holster/case, now it works without the case.
- Unlimited items in folders.
- The hub seems to have improved - a delete icon briefly appears after I view an item automatically - very useful. Also, it seems to go back to the "main" hub view after a period of time - I always hated coming back to the hub later in the day and having to back out of some text or email I was viewing to the main view to see my messages.

I also am always blown away by the virtual keyboard - I tried several keyboards on my Android, none are remotely as good. There are still 3 things I miss:

- Notifications from Android apps. I follow a couple of sports, and I really got used to the end of game notifications.
- Google Inbox. I just started using it, and it is awesome. At least I can still use it on my computer.
- Google play services integration. While I did get the relatively few games I like to play working, I can't access my account so that I have my progress. For example, I have been playing a simple game called Super Stickman Golf 2, and I progressed pretty far on my Android. Now I am faced with starting again. There might be some more tinkering I have to do, I have already followed all of the instructions I can find online. I can even run the Google Play Games app and see my progress there, I just can't connect it to the actual game.

BTW, the build quality of the Z30 far exceeds that of the LG G3 I have been using. And surprisingly, the massive resolution difference between the two isn't all that noticeable.

Thanks again, I hope this deal goes on for a while!