Personal Finance

[BC] Aeroplan points expiring - source to earn a few points to renew?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2021 10:11 pm
[OP]
Aug 30, 2007
920 posts
114 upvotes
Richmond

[BC] Aeroplan points expiring - source to earn a few points to renew?

Hi all, looking for a quick and easy way to earn a few points to keep my Aeroplan points active. Any ideas? I’m in BC.
28 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2540 posts
4069 upvotes
BC
Buy something small from one of AP's retail partners like Home Hardware or Starbucks?

Or buy something small through AP estore, although sometimes it can take quite long for points to post.

Or buy some AP points directly.

Going forward, consider getting CIBC's no-fee basic Aeroplan Visa to keep your points from expiring.
Jun 27, 2018
221 posts
443 upvotes
YVR
i found the easiest way to earn some AP points is to use the AP estore and use the Uber Eats option to earn some points and keep the account alive.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12560 posts
15940 upvotes
Vancouver
Amazon.ca is back in the Aeroplan e-store. 1 point per dollar spent. Reload $1 into your Amazon.ca balance. By far the best way IMO, even for someone who never shops on Amazon. $4 to keep the four family Aeroplan accounts alive works for me.

Oops, never mind. Amazon reloads don't earn any Aeroplan points, and as of right now, neither does anything in this list: Arts & Crafts, Baby & Nursery, Beauty & Grooming, Movies & TV Shows, Books & Textbooks, Cell Phones & Accessories, Computers, Echo Accessories, Eero Accessories, Electronic Components & Home Audio, Fire Tablets Accessories, Grocery & Gourmet Food, Health & Personal Care Appliances, Home, Home Improvement, Kindle Books, Kitchen & Dining, Magazine Subscriptions, Musical Instruments, Office & School Supplies, Outdoor Recreation, Patio, Lawn & Garden, Sports & Fitness, Toys & Games, Video Games, Business & Industrial Supplies and gift cards. Thanks to @rubix1225 for the heads up.

Here's the what does count list: Amazon Cloud Cam, Amazon Fashion Private Brands, Automotive, Business & Industrial Supplies, Clothing & Accessories, Echo Devices, Eero Devices, Fire Tablets, Fire TV Devices, Handmade, Home Entertainment, Jewelry, Kindle E-readers, Luggage, Major Appliances, Office & School Supplies, Outdoor Recreation, Pet Food & Supplies, Power & Hand Tools, Ring Video Doorbells and Cameras, Shoes, Handbags, Wallets, Sunglasses, Software, Tires & Wheels and Watches.
Last edited by Kiraly on Aug 31st, 2021 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2540 posts
4069 upvotes
BC
Kiraly wrote: Amazon.ca is back in the Aeroplan e-store. 1 point per dollar spent. Reload $1 into your Amazon.ca balance. By far the best way IMO, even for someone who never shops on Amazon. $4 to keep the four family Aeroplan accounts alive works for me.
The only issue with that is that I've had points from the e-store (including for Amazon purchases) take anything between 3 days and 3 months to post. So if OP's points are expiring next week, I'd choose a more reliable method.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12560 posts
15940 upvotes
Vancouver
rhw123 wrote: The only issue with that is that I've had points from the e-store (including for Amazon purchases) take anything between 3 days and 3 months to post. So if OP's points are expiring next week, I'd choose a more reliable method.
So long as the purchase is made before the point expiry, it'll count. Points might disappear after the expiry date, but they'll all be restored once the points from the purchase post. If he's not in a hurry to redeem the points for a flight I wouldn't hesitate to do it this way.
May 7, 2009
80 posts
66 upvotes
Vancouver
Kiraly wrote: So long as the purchase is made before the point expiry, it'll count. Points might disappear after the expiry date, but they'll all be restored once the points from the purchase post. If he's not in a hurry to redeem the points for a flight I wouldn't hesitate to do it this way.
But another warning about Amazon is that only certain categories will earn Aeroplan miles. Don't be like me and wait months for the miles to be credited, only to be told that my purchase was not in one of the eligible categories.

My go-to activity to prevent aeroplan expiration is to get a key cut from Home Hardware. Usually points show up in 1-2 days.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5837 posts
4886 upvotes
yiujun wrote: Hi all, looking for a quick and easy way to earn a few points to keep my Aeroplan points active. Any ideas? I’m in BC.
Amazon or UberEATS

Just order/buy through Aeroplan estore

Or link Aeroplan to your SB account and load like $50 to your SB card
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4942 posts
3220 upvotes
LaLaLand
Planning longer term is to get the free Aeroplan card from CIBC. You'll get a 10k welcome bonus and won't have to worry amount your points expiring.
Mar 7, 2008
564 posts
154 upvotes
KevinK90588 wrote: i found the easiest way to earn some AP points is to use the AP estore and use the Uber Eats option to earn some points and keep the account alive.
I use Uber Eats App, how to link Uber Eats with aeroplan?
TheBabyWay.com
Jun 27, 2018
221 posts
443 upvotes
YVR
mouseswimming wrote: I use Uber Eats App, how to link Uber Eats with aeroplan?
we don't need to link Uber Eats & Aeroplan as such. If you have used Rakuten or GCR, it's the same process. Browse to Aeroplan eStore, select Uber Eats and finish your order in UE, you would get your earned AP in few days/weeks time.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12560 posts
15940 upvotes
Vancouver
batcave wrote: Planning longer term is to get the free Aeroplan card from CIBC. You'll get a 10k welcome bonus and won't have to worry amount your points expiring.
That’s great for one Aeroplan account, but not so helpful for someone managing a whole family’s accounts.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
4886 posts
6069 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
AskingCanadians surveys

They are sometimes annoying, but free. If you don't qualify for the survey, they still give you 5 aeroplan miles for a couple seconds of clicks. I get a couple a week. I also switch to my Petro Points and HBC so I keep those points active too.
Capture.JPG
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6600/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4942 posts
3220 upvotes
LaLaLand
Kiraly wrote: That’s great for one Aeroplan account, but not so helpful for someone managing a whole family’s accounts.
I didn't get the impression that it was for more than one account. If it was, they could open one Visa account for each Aeroplan account. Face With Rolling Eyes
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12560 posts
15940 upvotes
Vancouver
batcave wrote: I didn't get the impression that it was for more than one account. If it was, they could open one Visa account for each Aeroplan account. Face With Rolling Eyes
If my under-19 kids could get their own credit cards, I’d have them do that! Until then I have to try to keep their Aeroplan accounts alive some other way.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4942 posts
3220 upvotes
LaLaLand
Kiraly wrote: If my under-19 kids could get their own credit cards, I’d have them do that! Until then I have to try to keep their Aeroplan accounts alive some other way.
You are going off-topic. OP was not asking for his kids - or at least I did not understand that from the first post. Where do you get your stuff from?
Sep 27, 2012
163 posts
74 upvotes
GVA
Kiraly wrote: If my under-19 kids could get their own credit cards, I’d have them do that! Until then I have to try to keep their Aeroplan accounts alive some other way.
Kids under 18 year old miles/points don’t expire for inactivity.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18906 posts
3176 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Under 18 doesn't expire.
Aeroplan 18-month inactivity policy
If you have not accumulated or redeemed Aeroplan points for a period of 18 consecutive months, the points in your account will expire.

The following members are exempt from points expiry:
Members under the age of 18
Aeroplan Elite Status Members (25K and above)
Primary Aeroplan Credit Cardholders in good standing
Learn more about our inactivity policy
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1967 posts
992 upvotes
Two years ago, I read somewhat that the easier way to earn small amount of Aeroplan points is to sign up for their text message spam. The actual spam is quite infrequent, and you get a very small number of AP points when you sign up.