• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2019 3:54 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6566 posts
163 upvotes
Vancouver

BC Alternatives to $60/10 GB plan?

Since it appears Koodo is immune to the dastardly rate hikes those on Telus (+10$) and other providers (*5$), what are our best alternatives and options at the moment? Feel free to send me a PM.
39 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2843 posts
1275 upvotes
Everywhere
A data plan plus a VoIP. I use two different foreign SIM that charge me between $2 and $5 per GB in Canada and other countries! I use Google Voice as my service. GV is unlimited calls/texts to Canada and the US and a small fee for international calls. The call quality is as good, if not better, than a cellular service. It also works on wifi and abroad. I can also use it on multiple devices simultaneously. One can only get a US number though.

There are other VoIP services that provide Canadian numbers but don't work as well or are as convenient as GV.
Oct 17, 2010
348 posts
162 upvotes
Vancouver
My cousin who's on the Telus $60 10gb plan is going to public mobile. She on her way to Walmart now.
Public Mobile $38 5gb S9+
Virgin Mobile $40 6gb S8+
Dec 29, 2007
59 posts
6 upvotes
Tobsterboi wrote: My cousin who's on the Telus $60 10gb plan is going to public mobile. She on her way to Walmart now.
I second PM my sim is in the mail.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1232 posts
826 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
batcave wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 10:12 am
A data plan plus a VoIP. I use two different foreign SIM that charge me between $2 and $5 per GB in Canada and other countries! I use Google Voice as my service. GV is unlimited calls/texts to Canada and the US and a small fee for international calls. The call quality is as good, if not better, than a cellular service. It also works on wifi and abroad. I can also use it on multiple devices simultaneously. One can only get a US number though.

There are other VoIP services that provide Canadian numbers but don't work as well or are as convenient as GV.
+1

GV might not be for everyone, but voip.ms + $15/3GB data-only plan from Koodo/Fido is the cheapest way forward. Even if you use the "unlimited" option from voip.ms, it still comes out to $20/month for unlimited talk/text + 3GB data. You won't find anything cheaper than that in Canada.
Dec 18, 2017
262 posts
435 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
batcave wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 10:12 am

Can you please explain which foreign SIM you use? How do you acquire it and how's your experience been so far?

I had a prepaid SIM card that I bought on a trip to Mexico and roaming worked great here. However I was on a great plan from my work and didn't need it so I let it expire. Fast forward to a year later, I have a new job but no longer have a plan that's so generous on the data side.

I use VOIP.ms for personal calls and text any way, so my only need here is a SIM card with data. The 3GB data plan from Fido/Virgin isn't enough.

Please feel free to PM me if we're not allowed to talk about this in the forums (I'm not thorough about the rules, sorry!). Appreciate the help!
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2843 posts
1275 upvotes
Everywhere
vancityguy0 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 12:28 am
Can you please explain which foreign SIM you use? How do you acquire it and how's your experience been so far?

I had a prepaid SIM card that I bought on a trip to Mexico and roaming worked great here. However I was on a great plan from my work and didn't need it so I let it expire. Fast forward to a year later, I have a new job but no longer have a plan that's so generous on the data side.

I use VOIP.ms for personal calls and text any way, so my only need here is a SIM card with data. The 3GB data plan from Fido/Virgin isn't enough.

Please feel free to PM me if we're not allowed to talk about this in the forums (I'm not thorough about the rules, sorry!). Appreciate the help!
T-mobile (US) and Starhub (Singapore). I've had t-mobile since 2015 and starhub since the middle of 2018. I made a trip to each respective country on vacation and bought the sim and setup service. Both work for me well. The info is in the cell phone thread for travelers (sticky).
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1232 posts
826 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
I think it really says a lot about the sorry state of affairs in Canada when roaming on foreign SIMs is the cheapest and preferred option. Face With Rolling Eyes
Dec 18, 2017
262 posts
435 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
arkane wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 1:03 am
I think it really says a lot about the sorry state of affairs in Canada when roaming on foreign SIMs is the cheapest and preferred option. Face With Rolling Eyes

It’s shameful really.

I’m pretty sure this temporary relief/ loophole for customers will be closed when Canadian carriers sit down to renew roaming agreements with their foreign counterparts. So it’s only a matter of time that this becomes a non-issue for them.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1232 posts
826 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
No need to, all of these plans have a termination clause that allow the foreign carriers to close your account if you engage in "extended roaming". So these plans aren't really viable for long term use in Canada unless you travel to the US frequently.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2843 posts
1275 upvotes
Everywhere
arkane wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 1:03 am
I think everyone is to blame. From the carriers, the government (crtc) and the general public.

The carriers tell you they cannot make money if they lower prices, yet their profits are in the billions. The CRTC is a pawn of the telcos and do whatever ais best for the telcos, not Canadians. They also allow the telcos to operate as an oligopoly. The Canadian public have been well conditioned to rising prices where in this space and time it should be decreasing.

It's best to get off of this train wreck imho
vancityguy0 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 1:18 am

It’s shameful really.

I’m pretty sure this temporary relief/ loophole for customers will be closed when Canadian carriers sit down to renew roaming agreements with their foreign counterparts. So it’s only a matter of time that this becomes a non-issue for them.
I'm not so sure Canadian telcos would cut off roaming partners because visitors connecting to Canadian networks are pure profit for Canadian telcos. The telcos do not have to spend any marketing or support costs on these users. It's a dump truck full of money for the telcos.

Because of competition outside of Canada, foreign telcos provide roaming as a service included in their plans. In 2015, T-Mobile introduced free North American roaming. A few months later, AT&T offered the same thing. A direct result of competition.
arkane wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 1:30 am
No need to, all of these plans have a termination clause that allow the foreign carriers to close your account if you engage in "extended roaming". So these plans aren't really viable for long term use in Canada unless you travel to the US frequently.
I found it curious in my Starhub SIM that they encourage me to roam and that I can reload it with a foreign credit card. I think they don't care about the type of revenue they get because of their limited population (5 million) and a government regulation that restricts individuals to three sim cards. Foreign visitors are an alternate source of revenue. When I arrived in the Singapore airport, all of the telcos have sales counters there and it was a ten minute transaction to purchase and get it activated. The initial prepaid offer there is $15 for 100GB!
Oct 17, 2010
348 posts
162 upvotes
Vancouver
batcave wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 9:39 am

I found it curious in my Starhub SIM that they encourage me to roam and that I can reload it with a foreign credit card. I think they don't care about the type of revenue they get because of their limited population (5 million) and a government regulation that restricts individuals to three sim cards. Foreign visitors are an alternate source of revenue. When I arrived in the Singapore airport, all of the telcos have sales counters there and it was a ten minute transaction to purchase and get it activated. The initial prepaid offer there is $15 for 100GB!
http://www.starhub.com/personal/mobile/ ... l#hr_plans

Is it this one?
Public Mobile $38 5gb S9+
Virgin Mobile $40 6gb S8+
Apr 14, 2006
356 posts
203 upvotes
Public Mobile 8.5GB @ $48 per month. $10 promo discount for 6 months brings it down to $38 per month.

Wait for Koodo migration offer while you're there.