Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13186 posts
2213 upvotes
City of Vancouver

BC: change to bottle deposits, Oct 1, 2020

https://www.return-it.ca/beverage/recycling/onedeposit/

Deposit Changes as of Oct. 1st, 2020

Starting October 1st, 2020, deposits on beverage containers over 1 litre will change from 20¢ to 10¢. This will simplify the overall system and make it even easier for you to recycle all your beverage containers — regardless of size.

A transition period will be in place between October 1, 2020, until October 11, 2020, inclusive. During this period Return-It will refund 20¢ for every acceptable beverage container over 1 litre. Starting October 12, 2020, you'll be charged the unified deposit of 10¢ for all beverage containers covered by the Return-It system, and refunded 10¢ upon return...

De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
36 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9782 posts
1859 upvotes
Victoria
WTF?

Bottle deposits haven't drastically changed since I was a kid. In fact I think a 2L bottle when I was a kid was 30 cents.

Deposits are so low I loathe bringing back empties. We usually throw them in the shed, then bring a truck load to the depot. By the time you load 'em all up, put 'em in the truck, drive to the depot, sort them, it's like an hours work for $20 to $25 bucks. And that's like 6 - 10 months of empties for us.

We started putting glass bottles in our regular recycling because it slowed down how often we had to deal with it. Luckily we have entrepreneurs who pull all the empties that have deposits out of the recycling boxes.

I feel like they need to raise deposits to motivate more people bringing them back? Lowering them seems backwards.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1261 posts
1695 upvotes
West
zod wrote: WTF?

Bottle deposits haven't drastically changed since I was a kid. In fact I think a 2L bottle when I was a kid was 30 cents.

Deposits are so low I loathe bringing back empties. We usually throw them in the shed, then bring a truck load to the depot. By the time you load 'em all up, put 'em in the truck, drive to the depot, sort them, it's like an hours work for $20 to $25 bucks. And that's like 6 - 10 months of empties for us.

We started putting glass bottles in our regular recycling because it slowed down how often we had to deal with it. Luckily we have entrepreneurs who pull all the empties that have deposits out of the recycling boxes.

I feel like they need to raise deposits to motivate more people bringing them back? Lowering them seems backwards.
I would agree - it's despicable how many people don't recycle & how much litter is on the street, in our parks, etc. Those glass organic milk bottle are a great example - people make damn sure to return those... I think they are like a $1 deposit? Clearly, the trick is putting a high enough valuation on the deposit to make it an actual incentive to return (or disincentive to not return).

While I would be behind a massive bottle deposit hike, the trouble is, bottles/cans/tetra packs are usually sold in higher volumes. There is simply no way the masses would be okay paying like $20 for a case of pop.

Perhaps they've identified a psychological motivation. Just like how some areas don't even require you to separate out your recycling due to people being too lazy to sort a few pieces of paper, plastic, and metal out from each other.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9782 posts
1859 upvotes
Victoria
Phonophoresis wrote: I would agree - it's despicable how many people don't recycle & how much litter is on the street, in our parks, etc. Those glass organic milk bottle are a great example - people make damn sure to return those... I think they are like a $1 deposit? Clearly, the trick is putting a high enough valuation on the deposit to make it an actual incentive to return (or disincentive to not return).

While I would be behind a massive bottle deposit hike, the trouble is, bottles/cans/tetra packs are usually sold in higher volumes. There is simply no way the masses would be okay paying like $20 for a case of pop.

Perhaps they've identified a psychological motivation. Just like how some areas don't even require you to separate out your recycling due to people being too lazy to sort a few pieces of paper, plastic, and metal out from each other.
True but right now it's 5 cents a can so 60 cents for a 12 pack or 1.20 for a flat. There's a big difference between 60 cents and 20 dollars. Even doubling cans to 10 cents, smaller bottles to 25 cents, and bigger bottles to 50 cents would probably go a long way.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1096 posts
370 upvotes
Vancouver
Ten cents across the board makes sense if it makes it much easier for the bottle depots.

I would have to disagree with it being too little. There are a ton of people going around picking cans and bottles. I'm surprised at how dedicated some of them were. It would be pouring rain or snow and they would be out there picking and trying to return bottles.
Mar 22, 2013
69 posts
101 upvotes
BC
So they don't have to sort things up front to pay out different deposit values.

But they still have to sort it eventually for the purposes of recycling.

Sounds like an attempt to switch to single stream bottle recycling and letting someone else (possibly machines) sort out the materials later.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5037 posts
3531 upvotes
Vancouver
zod wrote: True but right now it's 5 cents a can so 60 cents for a 12 pack or 1.20 for a flat. There's a big difference between 60 cents and 20 dollars. Even doubling cans to 10 cents, smaller bottles to 25 cents, and bigger bottles to 50 cents would probably go a long way.
Can / bottle rates increased to 10 cents in November 2019.
https://www.return-it.ca/beverage/recycling/tencents/

Ron.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9281 posts
10819 upvotes
Vancouver
Phonophoresis wrote: I would agree - it's despicable how many people don't recycle & how much litter is on the street, in our parks, etc.
My beef is with people who can't be bothered with the refund and put refundable containers in the alley for recycling pickup, and then complain that homeless people push shopping carts in their neighbourhood picking it all up. I mean of course there are—what did they think would happen if they do that? 10¢ is obviously too low.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1261 posts
1695 upvotes
West
Kiraly wrote: My beef is with people who can't be bothered with the refund and put refundable containers in the alley for recycling pickup, and then complain that homeless people push shopping carts in their neighbourhood picking it all up. I mean of course there are—what did they think would happen if they do that? 10¢ is obviously too low.
Seems to be the classic attitude towards everything these days. Complain about some problem --> be presented with a solution --> decline if it involves cost or effort --> complain.

someone16 wrote: Ten cents across the board makes sense if it makes it much easier for the bottle depots.

I would have to disagree with it being too little. There are a ton of people going around picking cans and bottles. I'm surprised at how dedicated some of them were. It would be pouring rain or snow and they would be out there picking and trying to return bottles.
So the fact that cans/bottle are being left around in the parks, thrown in the trash, etc. in the first place isn't a problem to you?
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
11836 posts
1793 upvotes
Vancouver
I leave mine in the alley. My good deed for the day. They get swept up quickly by the homeless.
Feb 18, 2018
624 posts
759 upvotes
so glad i don't have to deal with this BS, i always recycle mine but geez this seems like such a hassle and expense
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9281 posts
10819 upvotes
Vancouver
trellaine201 wrote: I leave mine in the alley. My good deed for the day. They get swept up quickly by the homeless.
And you don’t think that deliberately attracting homeless people to wander around your and your neighbors’ property is a problem? Better to return them for refund, donate the money to a homeless shelter, and take the tax receipt.

Oh, and deposit paid on credit card, deposit refunded in cash = free credit card points; it’s the RFD way!
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1421 posts
903 upvotes
Vancouver
zod wrote: WTF?

Ever tried the Express option? It's great and convenient. Just print out the label, slap it on a clear bag and it'll be sorted/counted and all you do is just drop it off. I was skeptical at first if they would count accurately but after counting my own cans/bottles at home before dropping them off to ensure accuracy, I'm happy to know that the count is the same that I have.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13186 posts
2213 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Kiraly wrote: RFD opportunity! From October 1 to 11, you still get 20¢ back on formerly 20¢ items, but only pay 10¢ deposit when you buy them. Stock up and drink up on October 1st!
I thought U still get charged 20 cents deposit between Oct 1 - 11?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.