BC: change to bottle deposits, Oct 1, 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2022 8:00 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
8187 posts
9554 upvotes
Vancouver
Alivenate wrote: Ever tried the Express option? It's great and convenient. Just print out the label, slap it on a clear bag and it'll be sorted/counted and all you do is just drop it off. I was skeptical at first if they would count accurately but after counting my own cans/bottles at home before dropping them off to ensure accuracy, I'm happy to know that the count is the same that I have.
Even more convenient now.. you can request labels online. They'll send you a bunch. Stick it on the bag at home, and all you have to do is drop it off - no touching anything.

I use Express all the time.. only complaint is sometimes it takes a week or more before the bag is counted.

Ron.
100% Upvote to post ratio! :)
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1734 posts
1212 upvotes
Vancouver
newfbc wrote: Even more convenient now.. you can request labels online. They'll send you a bunch. Stick it on the bag at home, and all you have to do is drop it off - no touching anything.

I use Express all the time.. only complaint is sometimes it takes a week or more before the bag is counted.

Ron.
I think that's cuz of COVID. Also, depends on where you drop it off. The Ironwood location in Richmond just off the highway does it either same day or within 24 hours so I've been going there recently.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19729 posts
28601 upvotes
Vancouver
Becks wrote: I thought U still get charged 20 cents deposit between Oct 1 - 11?
Right in the OP, which you posted yourself:
Starting October 1st, 2020, deposits on beverage containers over 1 litre will change from 20¢ to 10¢.
Sep 21, 2017
483 posts
502 upvotes
Vancouver
zod wrote: True but right now it's 5 cents a can so 60 cents for a 12 pack or 1.20 for a flat. There's a big difference between 60 cents and 20 dollars. Even doubling cans to 10 cents, smaller bottles to 25 cents, and bigger bottles to 50 cents would probably go a long way.
All cans are now 10c in BC. That's the reason for the new change is so that its simpler for the depot, essentially all cans and bottles of any size are 10 cents. The return it express is so easy I'm not sure why people wouldn't use it. I take the full clear bag and put the sticker on and toss it in the bin at the depot then usually next day or 2 I get it credited to my account. Since July last year I've redeemed $115.90 which is decent.
Sep 21, 2017
483 posts
502 upvotes
Vancouver
Becks wrote: I thought U still get charged 20 cents deposit between Oct 1 - 11?
It's in the link, Oct 1-11 you are only charged 10 cents but get back 20 cents. I'm sure someone can find a way to make a decent profit from that.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3945 posts
1376 upvotes
Vancouver
I signed up for Express return-it and I'm not looking back. Not sure why there are so many people still counting out their mountains of bottles at the depot, even during this COVID time. And they're not bums either, these are people driving up in their decent cars.

I went to drop off my bag of 1L bottles today sneaking in before the Oct 1 changeover. The parking lot for the depot was PACKED.. way busier than I've ever seen it. And everybody either counting their bottles inside or at the open trunk of their car. Guess they really want the instant gratification of cash in their pocket. :rolleyes:
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5525 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Phonophoresis wrote: I would agree - it's despicable how many people don't recycle & how much litter is on the street, in our parks, etc. Those glass organic milk bottle are a great example - people make damn sure to return those... I think they are like a $1 deposit? Clearly, the trick is putting a high enough valuation on the deposit to make it an actual incentive to return (or disincentive to not return).
You'd think so but unfortunately people are lazy. I see a lot of milk bottles from dairies still in operation at thrift shops. Sometimes I'll buy them cheap to return for full deposit but locally they run more than the deposit (and some of the dairies are far away and don't service the local area).
While I would be behind a massive bottle deposit hike, the trouble is, bottles/cans/tetra packs are usually sold in higher volumes. There is simply no way the masses would be okay paying like $20 for a case of pop.
Might discourage sales. I'm in favour.

I rode my bike to the local (Japanese) farm to get my weekly vegetable allotment yesterday. Picked up $1.10 in beers cans that were not on the same route 10 days earlier. Money goes to the non-profit thrift shops eventually. Amazing what 10¢ can still buy. Brand-new still sealed The Cardigans CD for one.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
12851 posts
135814 upvotes
888888 upvotes
Make sure you recycle all bottles that are 1L and above before Oct 11.

Recycle before Oct 11 = Receive 20 cents/bottle
Recycle after Oct 11 = Receive 10 cents/bottle

dq.png

Luckily, Ontario is still $0.20/bottle. We are safe.
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2015
5770 posts
7830 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights…
That sucks. Good thing is $0.05 turns into $0.10

I got tons of cans
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4995 posts
2427 upvotes
Markham
oh no my retirement plan
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2002
6456 posts
925 upvotes
Why the change? Only affect 1L bottle?
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
1579 posts
1541 upvotes
Anyone driving an empty mail truck either from BC to ON or ON to BC?
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2011
2022 posts
8935 upvotes
2020 is the worst year ever
how do i remove my signature?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3952 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
-------------
Images
  • 300px-I_Am_Never_Gonna_Financially_Recover_From_This.jpg
Last edited by drz400 on Nov 25th, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Nov 20, 2017
502 posts
748 upvotes
Alivenate wrote: Ever tried the Express option? It's great and convenient. Just print out the label, slap it on a clear bag and it'll be sorted/counted and all you do is just drop it off. I was skeptical at first if they would count accurately but after counting my own cans/bottles at home before dropping them off to ensure accuracy, I'm happy to know that the count is the same that I have.
Never knew about it before I went in-person last week. My own anecdote on the depot being reliable: the Return-It depot staff actually corrected my total, granting me an additional few bucks in returns.

I think a lot of the "total discrepancies" come from people not understanding some containers are not credited, eg. Return-It will not pay for soy milk containers, but they look like juice containers, so people probably include them in their totals.
Nov 20, 2017
502 posts
748 upvotes
funcanuck wrote: It's in the link, Oct 1-11 you are only charged 10 cents but get back 20 cents. I'm sure someone can find a way to make a decent profit from that.
Lol not in a way that's actually worth your time.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
Thanks OP for this post. It actually inspired me to take back ALL of my empties which have been collecting since COVID made taking returns to the store impossible. I have so much more room in my house now (and less guilt). :)
Jun 22, 2021
84 posts
38 upvotes
I bought a case of 24x 500ml water bottles for $2.49 from grocery store, but noticed extra fees on receipt:

- $0.48 Beverage recycling fee
- $2.40 Deposit

So the recycling and bottle deposit fees came to nearly $3.00, more than double the case of water!

Is this correct? Anyone else noticed these high charges? Are these fees charged everywhere or only at grocery stores (vs gas stations or Dollar Store etc)?

What was advertised as $2.49 is actually $5.37 -- total ripoff when fees are more than the product.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
P3nnyP1ncher wrote: I bought a case of 24x 500ml water bottles for $2.49 from grocery store, but noticed extra fees on receipt:

- $0.48 Beverage recycling fee
- $2.40 Deposit

So the recycling and bottle deposit fees came to nearly $3.00, more than double the case of water!

Is this correct? Anyone else noticed these high charges? Are these fees charged everywhere or only at grocery stores (vs gas stations or Dollar Store etc)?

What was advertised as $2.49 is actually $5.37 -- total ripoff when fees are more than the product.
2 cents per bottle is nothing...in SK it's anywhere from 5-10 cents nonrefundable enviro fee for beverage containers...on top of deposit and tax (if applicable). I don't mind paying a deposit, it's the enviro fees that I consider a blatant money grab.
Jun 22, 2021
84 posts
38 upvotes
Fee is $0.10 per bottle + $0.48 recycling fee, not $0.02 per bottle. The fees literally double the cost of the original item's price and then some.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)