187 posts
148 upvotes
Oro-Medonte

Bosch GCM12SD 12″ Dual Bevel Glide Mitre Saw $599

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
BC Fasteners
Great deal on one of the best Mitre saws going. I've owned this for about three years and it is excellent. Very rarely goes on sale and there is no other saw with the same space saving glide mechanism. Currently $699 at Amazon.

16 replies
Dec 23, 2007
782 posts
146 upvotes
Winnipeg
Lowes has the saw on for $639.20 this week. Home Depot will price match and beat it by 10% bring the price down to $575.28

Im thinking about getting the dewalt DWS780. Lowes has it for $479.20. Price match at Homedepot plus the 10% off drops the price down to $431.28 PLUS HD has a promo right now for a free stand when you buy the saw. Making the deal pretty hot
[OP]
Nov 30, 2008
187 posts
148 upvotes
Oro-Medonte
I'm a big DeWalt fan and almost all my smaller power tools are that brand, but this Bosch saw is a unique design and in my opinion worth the difference. When I bought mine it was $540 from Lowe's, but it is rare to see it that price, the PM deal at HD would be well worth it and if you have any restriction on depth, placing the saw in front of a wall for example, then the Bosch is better than anything else.

As for a stand, I've never used one, but these saws are heavy and I don't consider them a good choice for a portable tool. Mine lives here

Dec 23, 2007
782 posts
146 upvotes
Winnipeg
I was looking at the Bosch but after watching some reviews was kinda turned away

Coming from a mastercraft maximum 10" slider this should be a big upgrade. the mastercraft was good for framing my basement, but now im doing trim work and need something more accurate. The mastercraft has to much play
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2007
2264 posts
824 upvotes
London
lak8 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2019 11:22 am
I was looking at the Bosch but after watching some reviews was kinda turned away

Coming from a mastercraft maximum 10" slider this should be a big upgrade. the mastercraft was good for framing my basement, but now im doing trim work and need something more accurate. The mastercraft has to much play
If you want a saw for JUST trim look at the DeWalt dw716.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2008
187 posts
148 upvotes
Oro-Medonte
lak8 wrote:

Those points are all pretty fair, as I said I do not consider this as being portable, in fact I am considering a DeWalt 10" for mobile work in addition to leaving the Bosch mounted in the mitre station. For a stationary tool you could even argue that increased mass is an advantage, it certainly is not a problem. I have never run out of capacity, but then I am not installing crown moulding on a regular basis and it is very seldom I need to cut through more than 4" thickness. It is true that more joints does mean more pinch points, but again with my saw in a cabinet, I would have to be doing something pretty bizarre to get my fingers or anything else caught in them. Also it is true that the more moving parts you have the more potential for slop. However I would argue that I can make any mitre saw flex if I apply cutting pressure incorrectly. Using this tool with good technique, a sharp clean blade and zero clearance board, I get perfect cuts even in thick hard woods.

The point that DeWalt fails to mention in the video is that the Bosch design significantly reduces the space required behind the saw, allowing it to be place much closer to a wall, this can be extremely useful in many permanent mounting situations. I was very happy to pay a premium for that unique selling point (btw I bet DeWalt and others will copy the design as soon as the patent expires) but as a keen woodworker, I would not have been willing to sacrifice any quality of cut.
Oct 4, 2005
286 posts
29 upvotes
lak8 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2019 3:28 am
Lowes has the saw on for $639.20 this week. Home Depot will price match and beat it by 10% bring the price down to $575.28
Thank you for this info. Successfully price matched at my local Home Depot.
Mar 10, 2012
206 posts
146 upvotes
THORNHILL
lak8 wrote:
It's pretty clear that's a Dewalt marketing video - the big 'Dewalt' at the very beginning is a rather big giveaway, plus the use of 'ours' when they're describing the Dewalt saw...
Dec 23, 2007
782 posts
146 upvotes
Winnipeg
It does seem like a marketing video (just watched it again). I was checking both saws out today and really both looked very good. Hard to say which one was better. I did however pickup the dewalt just because it was around $200 cheaper and came with the stand.

If i was to setup a shop. The Bosch would be great since you can installed the saw right up against the wall.
Since ill be using mine for portability, The Dewalt was a no brainer with the included stand on wheels

Both im sure will beat out my maximum mastercraft which i will be retiring and putting up on kijiji. It was a great saw and used it for quite some years, but for fine trim work it just has to much slop/play
Mar 10, 2012
206 posts
146 upvotes
THORNHILL
Didn't mean to come off as dismissing Dewalt at all, just it really looked like a marketing video. Some of their criticisms of the Bosch are valid.

I actually have the Bosch GCM12SD, but frankly the main reason I have it is I got in on a deal several years back where it ended up being in the $250 range from Amazon. I really liked the saw, but just couldn't justify the price for my needs. I had a Mastercraft that did what I needed, but when that deal came along, I jumped on it. If you don't have a lot of space, the ability to tuck it up against the wall is nice.

Dewalt makes good stuff too. I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of the mainstream brands. Each brand has their occasional dog, but overall I say they're all good.
May 11, 2006
260 posts
150 upvotes
Great saw, have had it for 6 years now.. got the gravity rise stand for it as well which makes it very convenient to move around and store - used it to build my fence, shed and deck.
Put a nice freud blade on for good measure.

I'll eventually get to doing crown molding :) one day.. I do have a 100teeth blade for it

Watching that dewalt video makes me laugh.. people who fall for bias'd company reviews are plentiful :)

"Come watch our honest review where we pick at all the weak points of our competitor and keep ours to ourselves"
Last edited by cidkramer on Mar 29th, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 11, 2006
260 posts
150 upvotes
brianl999 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2019 6:10 pm
Didn't mean to come off as dismissing Dewalt at all, just it really looked like a marketing video. Some of their criticisms of the Bosch are valid.

I actually have the Bosch GCM12SD, but frankly the main reason I have it is I got in on a deal several years back where it ended up being in the $250 range from Amazon. I really liked the saw, but just couldn't justify the price for my needs. I had a Mastercraft that did what I needed, but when that deal came along, I jumped on it. If you don't have a lot of space, the ability to tuck it up against the wall is nice.

Dewalt makes good stuff too. I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of the mainstream brands. Each brand has their occasional dog, but overall I say they're all good.
Dewalt isn't so impressive and they don't really stand out anymore.. too many brands doing better things than they are and they're behind in general.

I'm sure quite a few people have a dewalt cordless drill with dead nicad batteries just sitting in their basement somewhere, forgotten.
May 17, 2008
38 posts
13 upvotes
Burlington
Thanks OP & LAK8, you post and comments led me to purchasing the Dewalt DWS780 and stand at HD with a price match with Lowes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6007 posts
1652 upvotes
Whitby
I have used other contractors dewalt miter saw and find they aren't accurate on a long bevelled cut.....the saw will track one way on a cut, make a few adjustments (sneaking up on a tight fit) so the saw should shave 1/8 down to nothing and the saw then cuts 1/8 to 1/4 fr example.
There are complaints on woodworking sites about the Dewalt 1 linear bearing/one bushing system similar to this one:
https://toolguyd.com/dewalt-sliding-mit ... ngs-issue/

I have a 10 year old Jet 12 compound mitre saw that tracks better than a new Dewalt no matter how 'tuned up' the Dewalt is. Makes the Dewalt saw owners crazy if you bring this up so I probably shouldn't have posted. No experience with the new Bosch saws, if I was in the market researching how stiiff/accurate those pivots work compared to a guide rail system would be most important