None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1141 posts
398 upvotes
Nova Scotia

BC Games and Remasters

Let me start by saying I had both the PS3 and 360 last gen and currently have a PS4 and One. Even though my gaming time is a more limited at this point in my life I find that I am mostly having a blast playing backwards compatible games on the One and remasters on the PS4. Am I the only one or maybe two that are in this situation? I suppose there may be many variables such as the type of game a person is into and if the do MP over SP games but here is a small list of games that I have been playing or finished lately (no particular order). I should also add I do not play RPG or large open world games. I just do not have the available time to invest.

Shadow Complex - such a good game that brought back some fun memories from the 360 days
Deadspace - While the graphic are decent it really has taken me back to those late night scare fests on the 360
Uncharted Collection - no need to describe this one but it was "the" game for me on the PS3 and why I bought one
Alan Wake - Even with the black crush issue I notice this game is just fantastic
Borderlands - played it on the 360 and while I do not find it that enjoyable on the One it is fun in short stints
Call of Juarez Gunslinger - Just fun
All of the Gears of War - SP for Gears is great. I was a true Gearhead
Condemned: Criminal Origins - Had forgotten about this game...

I am sure there are more than I have not mentioned but my point is that I am putting more gametime into old games and remasters than anything that has been released so far on either platform. Weird
39 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2056 posts
697 upvotes
Toronto
I get it. Sometimes you rather play an updated version of a familiar game then delving into a new game.

I like Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection. I feel that game should be held up as the standard for remasters.

I have DmC: Definitive Edition. I played it on the PS3 and playing it again on PS4. A great action game. Unpopular opinion but I prefer it over God of War 3 or Bayonetta 2.

I am also playing Final Fantasy X HD on PS4. I owned a GameCube instead of a PS2 during that generation, so I did not get a chance to experience that game.

If I ever get an Xbox One, I want to get back into Alan Wake. A game I never finished on the 360.
Jan 29, 2013
746 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
I've never really been drawn to replaying any old games. As such, backwards compatibility is a feature I don't care about.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8617 posts
5558 upvotes
Toronto
Being able to play older games on maxed out settings has been one my favorite things about getting back into PC gaming. Especially since the older games are so cheap and you don't need to pay a premium for "remastered" versions. Old cheap games simply scale to new hardware and look and run amazing. I'm regularly playing 5-10 year old games in between new releases.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2014
1596 posts
4146 upvotes
To be honest, I am not a big fan of all these remasters. However, with Batman getting remastered, the Bioshock trilogy (surely will be made official soon), and if the Mass Effect trilogy got a remaster (or all went BC), I would have no reason to keep my 360.

I really want to play those games again, so I would be happy to spend a few extra bucks for a graphics upgrade and new achievements. Would wait for a sale though, as they will likely price them too high to begin with.
"They're waiting for you Gordon...in the Test Chamber."
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8617 posts
5558 upvotes
Toronto
Youff1 wrote: a few extra bucks for a graphics upgrade.
This is the problem with console remastered. It's never "a few extra bucks". It's always a new $60 release whereas on PC you can simply buy the old $5-10 versions of games like Batman, Bioshock or Mass Effect and play them at 1080p/60fps right now. Replaying Mass Effect on PC at 1080p/60fps was mind blowing and made me regret ever playing it on 360
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5597 posts
1257 upvotes
calgary
Im not a huge fan of re-playing old games but I do like BC/Remasters because it does give you the option to play older games youve missed.

So far this generation Ive played through re-masters of TLOU:R, Halo:MCC, and Gears. The first one I just missed last generation and the latter two had significant multiplayer components that had recieved upgrades. I didnt get any of these for the "upgraded" graphics and I dont understand why people would re-buy and re-play something they just played because of slightly better graphics (ie people who bought TR2013and then a year and a half later bought TR2013:R and replayed it)

Im actually using BC way more then I thought I would.... I never used it on 360/PS3 and only used it for a handful of games on PS2/Wii (cuz I had skipped there predecessors)
BC has also me the opportunity to play some games I missed last generation like Dark Souls, Alan Wake: American Nightmare, Mirrors Edge, Dead Space, and South Park TSOT and its nice because most of these I got for free with GWG.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
ReeGee wrote: This is the problem with console remastered. It's never "a few extra bucks". It's always a new $60 release whereas on PC you can simply buy the old $5-10 versions of games like Batman, Bioshock or Mass Effect and play them at 1080p/60fps right now. Replaying Mass Effect on PC at 1080p/60fps was mind blowing and made me regret ever playing it on 360
If they ever release a Skyrim HD game for consoles I'll lose my mind in laughter.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8617 posts
5558 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote: If they ever release a Skyrim HD game for consoles I'll lose my mind in laughter.
I'm surprised they haven't already tbh. It looks and feels like a totally different game on PC and bringing a version close to that to PS4/X1 would probably sell millions
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
ReeGee wrote: I'm surprised they haven't already tbh. It looks and feels like a totally different game on PC and bringing a version close to that to PS4/X1 would probably sell millions
This thread is another reason for PC gaming - backwards compatibility, or the simple fact that the term doesn't mean anything on PC. Plus most old stuff have updated texture packs etc.

Grabbing the Mass Effect series and Bioshock series for a combined $20 feels like a steal. Not to mention every other game I can grab.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2006
2061 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
qualdoth wrote: I've never really been drawn to replaying any old games. As such, backwards compatibility is a feature I don't care about.
I'm with you. I never like playing old games and once I finish a game, I never go back and replay it. My game time is limited so I prefer the latest games and after I finish it, time to move onto the next one.
My XBL/PSN: evilenger
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8617 posts
5558 upvotes
Toronto
This thread made me wonder how much i've actually been taking advantage of "backwards compatibility" this current gen and I realized the majority of games in my finished categories on Steam are games that would be considered BC/remasters. The 3rd category is stuff I finished on 360/PS3 last gen and may or may not replay for the better visuals on PC. Most of the stuff here I was playing for the first time. Best part is how cheap all this stuff was.

Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20815 posts
4930 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I only buy these remasters when they are on sale or below $20. I don't buy it to play it as it doesn't hold my attention. I buy it to give my system a collection of games.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
7064 posts
5695 upvotes
Toronto
I didn't buy a new console to play old games. :D
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4694 posts
1633 upvotes
Toronto
The only new-ish game I've played through multiple times was Gears of War. I have never been one to replay games... I did enough of that as a kid when I'd have to replay the few NES/SNES games I owned because there was nothing else to play.

That said, it's because of remasters that I've been able to better appreciate games like Halo and Halo 2, which looked like garbage to me before, and are at least more paletable now.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4694 posts
1633 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: This thread made me wonder how much i've actually been taking advantage of "backwards compatibility" this current gen and I realized the majority of games in my finished categories on Steam are games that would be considered BC/remasters. The 3rd category is stuff I finished on 360/PS3 last gen and may or may not replay for the better visuals on PC. Most of the stuff here I was playing for the first time. Best part is how cheap all this stuff was.

Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy... man, how I miss those games so much. Even the MP was sorta fun for those.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8617 posts
5558 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy... man, how I miss those games so much. Even the MP was sorta fun for those.
I was amazed at how well they hold up. They still look and play great. Best light saber combat in any Star Wars game imo
Aug 20, 2009
8464 posts
3460 upvotes
Jedi Academy was so great, I used to love killing people who would bow all the time in some silly faux honor code. That game totally nailed the saber combat, so fun.