Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
8276 posts
1911 upvotes
9394 wrote: I didn't buy a new console to play old games. :D
+1

I have 0 interest in replaying, and especially re buying a game I've already played or have owned on a previous gen console. Having just replay (watching my boy mostly) all 3 Uncharted games on the PS3, right after trying out the demo of the remaster, there was no desired to double dip on the PS4. And this is regarded as one of the best remasters, but once you play Uncharted 4, that remaster just feels as outdated as the PS3 version. Having a gaming PC, also helps me form a negative opinion on these console remasters.
Honestly, I wish they would focus more on new games.
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1099 posts
350 upvotes
OAKVILLE
I didn't have a last generation system so these are all new to me.

I like the remasters because it gives me a chance to play older games and buy them in a "package". Plus I get all the DLC up front (I'm looking at you Fallout 4).

For the Xbox One I've played Grand Theft Auto V, and Saints Row IV. I enjoyed both.

I'm considering picking up the Batman Anthology and the Dead Island remasters as well.
My Xbox Gamertag – KY JELLO
My Bell plan: $60/mo – 5GB, 250 LD, Bell-to-Bell, CD, VM, plus unlimited texting & evenings
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
toronto1979 wrote: I didn't have a last generation system so these are all new to me.

I like the remasters because it gives me a chance to play older games and buy them in a "package". Plus I get all the DLC up front (I'm looking at you Fallout 4).

For the Xbox One I've played Grand Theft Auto V, and Saints Row IV. I enjoyed both.

I'm considering picking up the Batman Anthology and the Dead Island remasters as well.
Anthology implies a collection - the Batman one is just two games.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1099 posts
350 upvotes
OAKVILLE
squadz wrote: Anthology implies a collection - the Batman one is just two games.
Thanks for correcting me. The Internet is better off with people like you around. I still may buy the game anyway.
My Xbox Gamertag – KY JELLO
My Bell plan: $60/mo – 5GB, 250 LD, Bell-to-Bell, CD, VM, plus unlimited texting & evenings
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
toronto1979 wrote: Thanks for correcting me. The Internet is better off with people like you around. I still may buy the game anyway.
You're very welcome, I'm glad to be here.

It's your money, do what you'd like. Sounds like a great purchase.
Aug 20, 2009
8619 posts
3679 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: +1

I have 0 interest in replaying, and especially re buying a game I've already played or have owned on a previous gen console. Having just replay (watching my boy mostly) all 3 Uncharted games on the PS3, right after trying out the demo of the remaster, there was no desired to double dip on the PS4. And this is regarded as one of the best remasters, but once you play Uncharted 4, that remaster just feels as outdated as the PS3 version. Having a gaming PC, also helps me form a negative opinion on these console remasters.
Honestly, I wish they would focus more on new games.
I'm surprised at this attitude. Most remasters don't use resources that go to "new" games. They are usually new employees getting familiar with the devchain/tools. Ports and collections are nothing new either, they've always been around but thanks to better build chains/tools we can get them across platforms now. This has been happening in the PC market for awhile now and no problems there, not sure why its different if the consoles do it. The actual cost to push these to market is very small in both money and time, no one is "losing" anything because of it and they are easily ignored, there are a ton of new games to play right now. In lieu of significant BC this generation this is a very nice in between. Also confused by the console remaster comment, many remasters/collections are on the PC too. In fact the majority these days are multiplatform.

It's a great option for people new to the platform or for fans that want to revisit it down the road. There's no real downside and peoples assumptions about them are inherently flawed. Companies work on multiple projects.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
8276 posts
1911 upvotes
:arrowu:

Maybe because I remember the time when I was able to play most of my PS1 games on the PS2, and my Xbox on the 360. Or maybe because I remember being able to replay HL2 years after on my new gaming rig at the time, without having to re-buy it again. Either way, it's not a matter of re buying, as much as I don't really care for them. Even on the Xbone, I don't think I ever bothered playing any BC games, aside from trying it, so to me that feature is useless; but I see others care, so obviously there is a market for it.
Yes, this existed before, I just find it a lot more abundant this generation, and I believe publishers (not necessarily developers) do focus more attention than usual to this category, obviously for financial reasons.
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Aug 20, 2009
8619 posts
3679 upvotes
Yes we all remember those times but this generation we've had little BC and a lot of users switch platforms, hence ports/remasters. It costs a publisher very little to put out a "GOTY" edition or to port to a similar platform thanks to modern build tools.

If you just want to play new games there are a ton on the market, these don't take away anything from them. Some of the best games from last gen arrived on the cusp of the newer gen and I've seen several regulars here comment that they never would have played them without remasters.

As a long time PC user I'm frankly used to this sort of thing despite having decades of BC, I'm surprised that anyone would suggest otherwise. Pubs/devs have been repacking games/expansions since pretty much the beginning. I don't think rebuying is necessarily unfair either, it depends on what was involved. I bought the Dragon Age Ultimate Edition despite owning the game and most of the DLC because it was more convenient from several aspects and they put some extras into it. Fair to them, fair to me. If we have BC next gen but some publisher tries to block a game from being run to resell it then obviously that will be a different story.
Jul 28, 2010
897 posts
582 upvotes
Redmask wrote: Jedi Academy was so great, I used to love killing people who would bow all the time in some silly faux honor code. That game totally nailed the saber combat, so fun.
You're a monster. Back in the day we used to vote kick everyone who didn't bow before a lightsaber duel. Jedi Academy had one of the best online communities I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. The lightsaber combat was amazing, the maps were full of secrets, and mod support was the icing on the cake. God, I miss good Star Wars games. Battlefront could have been so much more: I didn't mind the simple mechanics but there was barely anything to do in the game, and I hate skill trees on multiplayer FPS games.

On topic though, I rarely buy remasters of stuff I've beaten. I mostly go for games I missed back in the day and were given a significant upgrade, like Odin Sphere Leifthrasir.
Aug 20, 2009
8619 posts
3679 upvotes
You're a monster. Back in the day we used to vote kick everyone who didn't bow before a lightsaber duel.
Hahah, no mercy :) Yeah it was a great game, I really miss it. I could write a book about the missed opportunities of LucasArts in the video game industry, just constant mismanagement and silliness. So frustrating when you look at the wealth of IP they sit on.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8667 posts
5621 upvotes
Toronto
Speaking of good old star wars games. I bought and started playing Republic Commando recently and that's easily up there with the best star wars games I've ever played. It looks a tad dated but the gameplay is brilliant and deeper than a lot of modern FPS games.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
CFRTim wrote: :arrowu:

Maybe because I remember the time when I was able to play most of my PS1 games on the PS2, and my Xbox on the 360. Or maybe because I remember being able to replay HL2 years after on my new gaming rig at the time, without having to re-buy it again. Either way, it's not a matter of re buying, as much as I don't really care for them. Even on the Xbone, I don't think I ever bothered playing any BC games, aside from trying it, so to me that feature is useless; but I see others care, so obviously there is a market for it.
Yes, this existed before, I just find it a lot more abundant this generation, and I believe publishers (not necessarily developers) do focus more attention than usual to this category, obviously for financial reasons.
Pretty much. I find the existence of remastered to be funny because PC has had it for years.

I can still play Skifree free, whereas it would probably be Skifree HD Remastered Remixed on the PS4 for $79.99.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2014
1596 posts
4146 upvotes
$79.99.
"They're waiting for you Gordon...in the Test Chamber."
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
Youff1 wrote: $79.99.
I'd buy this - I own all three, but have never been able to play or finish them yet. There's so many issues on PC with these games.

But I sure as hell will not be paying $79.99 for them. I'll wait for the inevitable drop to $49.99 after a month like Doom and other games have seen.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1171 posts
421 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Been waiting for this for a long time. Not been waiting for the price tag $79.99 :( I will wait for a price drop as well.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
Wait, so I get them free on Steam? AWESOME!

But it doesn't say Bioshock Infinite, or am I missing it? I have all three on Steam, does that mean I get all three for free?
Jan 26, 2008
761 posts
56 upvotes
Scarborough
squadz wrote: Wait, so I get them free on Steam? AWESOME!

But it doesn't say Bioshock Infinite, or am I missing it? I have all three on Steam, does that mean I get all three for free?
You'll get 2 remasters and single player DLCs for all 3 titles. They aren't doing anything to Infinite as 'it already meets current-gen console standards and runs smoothly on high visual settings.'
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
vinkl wrote: You'll get 2 remasters and single player DLCs for all 3 titles. They aren't doing anything to Infinite as 'it already meets current-gen console standards and runs smoothly on high visual settings.'
Great! Between Skyrim and this, I can't complain. Free upgrades for nothing.

If only WB & Rocksteady would follow suit with their Arkham remasters - they're not even doing it on PC.