4203 upvotes
Vancouver

BC Hydro smart speaker trial - another promo, $5 this time

Deal Link:
Expiry:
November 16, 2019
Retailer:
BC Hydro
BC Hydro has been promoting their smart speaker skill for both Google Home and Alexa for about 6 months. If you link your BC Hydro account to your smart speaker, you can ask questions about your electricity usage - nothing really useful, but they offer an interesting assessment of heat vs. lighting vs. other usage for the month based on an estimation algorithm. It's free to sign up, but you need to supply a Microsoft account. Tip: just create a new Microsoft account for this purpose - trying to use an existing Microsoft account is a comedy of errors that will waste half an hour.

Previously they offered a $10 bonus for answering a brief questionnaire about your usage of this service (already received as a credit on BC Hydro bill).

Earlier this month they offered another $10 if you asked Alexa a question invoking their skill 10 times between Sun Nov 10 and Sat Nov 16. (see earlier thread below)

Now it's $5 if you ask Alexa a question invoking the BC Hydro skill once per week in December.

----------------------------------------
$10 promo earlier in November:

Email:

"BC Hydro Power Smart

From Sunday 10th November through till end of day Saturday 16th November, if you use the Alexa BC Hydro skill more than 10 times, we will reward you with a $10 payment..

(Each session will count as a “time” )

Here’s how you might do it,

- Ask for a tip each day.

- Ask for your energy snapshot each day

- Ask how you compare over different time periods

- Ask for your energy use break down over different time periods

Wait there’s more….

Bonus offer:

The household that registers the most questions in the same time period will receive a bonus $50..

Check out the great questions you can ask your smart speaker at our Smart Speaker trial page."
Last edited by Scote64 on Nov 27th, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2415 posts
1192 upvotes
Vancouver
Ill talk to Alexa daily for 10 dollar
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2525 posts
466 upvotes
Vancouver
Scote64 wrote: BC Hydro has been promoting their smart speaker skill for both Google Home and Alexa for about 6 months. If you link your BC Hydro account to your smart speaker, you can ask questions about your electricity usage - nothing really useful, but they offer an interesting assessment of heat vs. lighting vs. other usage for the month based on an estimation algorithm. It's free to sign up, but you need to supply a Microsoft account. Tip: just create a new Microsoft account for this purpose - trying to use an existing Microsoft account is a comedy of errors that will waste half an hour.

Previously they offered a $10 bonus for answering a brief questionnaire about your usage of this service (already received as a credit on BC Hydro bill).

Now they are offering another $10 if you ask Alexa a question invoking their skill 10 times between Sun Nov 10 and Sat Nov 16.

Email:

"BC Hydro Power Smart

From Sunday 10th November through till end of day Saturday 16th November, if you use the Alexa BC Hydro skill more than 10 times, we will reward you with a $10 payment..

(Each session will count as a “time” )

Here’s how you might do it,

- Ask for a tip each day.

- Ask for your energy snapshot each day

- Ask how you compare over different time periods

- Ask for your energy use break down over different time periods

Wait there’s more….

Bonus offer:

The household that registers the most questions in the same time period will receive a bonus $50..

Check out the great questions you can ask your smart speaker at our Smart Speaker trial page."
dang missed the questionnaire one. Is it only Alexa or can you hook up google home and ask the questions as well?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4113 posts
4203 upvotes
Vancouver
xiaobao wrote: dang missed the questionnaire one. Is it only Alexa or can you hook up google home and ask the questions as well?
I have both Google Home and Alexa registered with BC Hydro, but the email only mentioned Alexa.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4113 posts
4203 upvotes
Vancouver
Starts today, don't forget to ask Alexa 10 questions using the BC Hydro skill this week.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3835 upvotes
Can this be done via alexa only? not way around it if I don't have one?
Deal Guru
May 7, 2007
12447 posts
5015 upvotes
I'll have Alexa for $10, Alex!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4113 posts
4203 upvotes
Vancouver
Messerschmitt wrote: Can this be done via alexa only? not way around it if I don't have one?
You can run Alexa on any Android or iOS device. I just tested and confirmed that it works with the BC Hydro skill.

There is an also a free Echo emulator app for Android which pretty much emulates an Echo speaker: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... a&hl=en_CA

And if you don't have any Android device, try Remix OS Player to run an Android emulator under Windows.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3835 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: You can run Alexa on any Android or iOS device. I just tested and confirmed that it works with the BC Hydro skill.

There is an also a free Echo emulator app for Android which pretty much emulates an Echo speaker: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... a&hl=en_CA

And if you don't have any Android device, try Remix OS Player to run an Android emulator under Windows.
I run android on my tablet and phones yes. Is that app you posted the link to the only thing needed? I'm in for $10 if that's so
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4113 posts
4203 upvotes
Vancouver
Messerschmitt wrote: I run android on my tablet and phones yes. Is that app you posted the link to the only thing needed? I'm in for $10 if that's so
You can install Alexa on your Android phone, link it to the BC Hydro skill, and it will respond to questions about your power usage the same as an Echo speaker. I don't know if that qualifies for BC Hydro's "smart speaker" trial, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

However if you want to be sure, the Echo emulator appears in my list of Echo speakers along with my real Echo speakers, so I guess other apps and skills see it just like a real Echo speaker.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3835 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: You can install Alexa on your Android phone, link it to the BC Hydro skill, and it will respond to questions about your power usage the same as an Echo speaker. I don't know if that qualifies for BC Hydro's "smart speaker" trial, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

However if you want to be sure, the Echo emulator appears in my list of Echo speakers along with my real Echo speakers, so I guess other apps and skills see it just like a real Echo speaker.
Sorry, can you dumb it down for me what steps I have to do on my phone to get this going? I'm a bit lost. Like what link I need to go to, what to download, etc. Thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4113 posts
4203 upvotes
Vancouver
Messerschmitt wrote: Sorry, can you dumb it down for me what steps I have to do on my phone to get this going? I'm a bit lost. Like what link I need to go to, what to download, etc. Thanks
1. Install the Alexa app on your phone if you don't already have it. Make sure you have an Amazon account.

2. Enable the BC Hydro skill in Alexa and link it to your BC Hydro account, instructions here: https://bchydro.powerfulinsights.co/gettingconnected

The BC Hydro instructions mention that you should check that your Echo speaker is linked to that Amazon account, but I don't think you actually need to have an Echo speaker. On my Android phone I can launch Alexa, select voice input, and ask it to access BC Hydro, same as on an Echo speaker. I only mentioned the Echo emulator in case it turns out that Alexa on your phone has some restriction that won't let you talk to it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4113 posts
4203 upvotes
Vancouver
I received both the $10 discount and the $5 discount on my Jan 2020 BC Hydro bill for very little effort. A welcome break on the most expensive mid-winter power bill. :)