Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
BC Live Spot Prawns

BC Live Spot Prawns Season 2021 $18/lb - GVA

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2021 9:50 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2009
1566 posts
1372 upvotes
Vancouver
derweissewolf wrote: Can anyone comment on the quality/price of the other fish? I may get the Westcoast fish box.
I placed couple pre-order last year, quality was good, 95% of them are large size.
Price was just market price, but last year price was super low everywhere.
I ordered salmon and tune from them as well, good quality, but not cheap.

Coupon code worked last year, so may just wait a bit.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2009
1566 posts
1372 upvotes
Vancouver
jbone14 wrote: Wow! Care to share where you found them for $12/lb... that is staggeringly low and quite frankly unheard of.
Kmart and t&t had few special last year. Very limited qualities and expected long line-up
(Should be Hmart)
Last edited by tofubb on May 3rd, 2021 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 14, 2008
377 posts
985 upvotes
jbone14 wrote: Wow! Care to share where you found them for $12/lb... that is staggeringly low and quite frankly unheard of.
T&T for sure. toward end of the season Costco (at least DT location ) have them both fresh & frozen @ ~12-13/lb
Banned
Feb 23, 2004
7940 posts
3542 upvotes
jiop18 wrote: Says on their website the weekend is reserved for market pricing and not pre-ordered pricing. So I am thinking the weekend is reserved for walk-ups.
They changed that from last year. I remember picking up on a Friday last year and eating them the same night.
Banned
Feb 23, 2004
7940 posts
3542 upvotes
tofubb wrote: Kmart and t&t had few special last year. Very limited qualities and expected long line-up
hassy wrote: T&T for sure. toward end of the season Costco (at least DT location ) have them both fresh & frozen @ ~12-13/lb
Kmart is probably Hmart. Yes, Asian supermarkets did have spot prawns for $12/pound.

But they weren’t as fresh or large as from this company. For me it was worth paying more.
Dec 24, 2017
419 posts
410 upvotes
tofubb wrote: Kmart and t&t had few special last year. Very limited qualities and expected long line-up
Yeah I went to multiple sales last year when they were around $12, the quantity they had was a joke and I ended up getting nothing even though I was there on opening. Never again, especially during covid. Not worth stanind in a sea of yelling people that have no idea how to stand in a line or just don't plain care and cut in front of you. Evertime something is heavily discounted in Vancouver and is publicly advertised it's not worth the hassle because of the crowd that shows up.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
8453 posts
6938 upvotes
h41t3r wrote: We let them soak in white wine for about 20mins and then steam them.

Maggi sauce with chopped up chili peppers as a dip
soak while still alive?
Sep 18, 2017
963 posts
1581 upvotes
Vancouver
ephdub wrote: I went to the page and under the instructions...

In a large saucepan, over high heat, bring salt and water to a boil. Add scallion and ginger and boil for a minute. Add prawns and return to a boil, cover and steep for 2 to 3 minutes. Strain and serve immediately with dipping sauce.

Two sets of cooking instructions in the one recipe lol.
The instructions you posted above are the authors instructions. The one I quoted is from a professional chef. I’ve done it with the boiling water soak and it worked really well. Obviously won’t work as well if you have a large quantity but it worked well for the quantity we had for 2 people.

My parents throw them all into a pot of boiling water and then take them all out after about 2 minutes. There’s really no wrong way of doing it, however, I prefer to do the boil method because it allows me to taste the actual natural flavour of the spot prawns.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
2692 posts
1742 upvotes
Home
Any $18 options on VI? I think $12 would be a fairy tale on VI.
Fizz Mobile $ 4.80 USA CAN 45 GB
Apr 26, 2010
422 posts
302 upvotes
Vancouver
the ones at 12/lb can't be compared to these ones.

Just got an email today stating that discount codes would not work for spot prawns.

I just use just use the boil method for about a minute or 2 and then for sauce, mix red chilli, garlic, cilantro and soy sauce together, heat up the oil and then pour into the mixture.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
1027 posts
1096 upvotes
Vancouver
For those who like sashimi, these can be eaten raw as well. Combine with some BC shoyu ikura (salmon roe) on a bed of sushi rice for an extra decadent treat :)
Feb 21, 2013
329 posts
328 upvotes
GTA
gr8dlr wrote: Even though we can buy them here in GTA, wish I was in Vancouver to enjoy them there.
Always enjoy a nice prawn in restaurants but been thinking about trying it at home, where do you get them in the GTA?
Banned
Feb 23, 2004
7940 posts
3542 upvotes
I RFD wrote: Any $18 options on VI? I think $12 would be a fairy tale on VI.
My friends in Victoria purchased directly from the fisherman’s wharf last year, and I think they paid $10/pound.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17376 upvotes
Markham
czenxa wrote: Always enjoy a nice prawn in restaurants but been thinking about trying it at home, where do you get them in the GTA?
You'll want the live ones...the big stores with the tanks will bring them in. But pricing can vary a lot.
When you're out and about in the big Asian grocers [those who cater to the higher end customers are more likely to have it -T&T, Nations, Oceans], keep and eye out.
I don't see them in our flyers yet but if they're available in Vancouver, they will be coming in here as well.

Pics from June 2016 trip to Vancouver. Rented a bike to Granville and bought shrimp, biked back to our AIRBNB and cooked em up. So good.

IMG_20160604_094542.jpg
IMG_20160606_133556.jpg
IMG_20160606_130315.jpg
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
2692 posts
1742 upvotes
Home
Balduno wrote: My friends in Victoria purchased directly from the fisherman’s wharf last year, and I think they paid $10/pound.
:O , I'd definately load up on that. They just hung around the dock and approached the fishermen or..?
Fizz Mobile $ 4.80 USA CAN 45 GB
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1120 posts
347 upvotes
GVR
BestOffer wrote: none of the coupons would work on the spot prawns; even they sent me a 3% off because i had it in cart...
I received the 3% code...but it doesn't even work when I try to add it to a cart of $60?

Did anyone get the 3% code to work?
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
3122 posts
909 upvotes
North Vancouver
hassy wrote: T&T for sure. toward end of the season Costco (at least DT location ) have them both fresh & frozen @ ~12-13/lb
Costco DT have live spot prawns?
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
3122 posts
909 upvotes
North Vancouver
kaiseki wrote: The instructions you posted above are the authors instructions. The one I quoted is from a professional chef. I’ve done it with the boiling water soak and it worked really well. Obviously won’t work as well if you have a large quantity but it worked well for the quantity we had for 2 people.

My parents throw them all into a pot of boiling water and then take them all out after about 2 minutes. There’s really no wrong way of doing it, however, I prefer to do the boil method because it allows me to taste the actual natural flavour of the spot prawns.
me too, I also just throw them all into a pot of boiling water, I take them all out after about 30 seconds-1 min
Oct 20, 2010
298 posts
145 upvotes
BC
whiteGSR wrote: I received the 3% code...but it doesn't even work when I try to add it to a cart of $60?

Did anyone get the 3% code to work?
Where are you getting the codes?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)