Travel

[BC] Lower Mainland to Lake Louise/Banff - Anyone made a trip recently?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2021 12:39 pm
[OP]
Nov 17, 2020
18 posts
13 upvotes

[BC] Lower Mainland to Lake Louise/Banff - Anyone made a trip recently?

Good day RFD’ers!

Just looking for some advice and to see if anyone’s made a trip recently (or are currently there now!) We’ve planned a road trip from generally the lower mainland to Lake Louise/Banff in about two weeks time. Travel route thru Highway 1 most likely. Been monitoring the BC fires lately and it’s not looking too great.

We’ve planned that if the travel route remains opened and the skies remain clear-ish in AB (checking webcams daily), that we might give it a go. That is early morning start on day one, we’d be bypassing the BC towns (cept for a quick food stop/bathroom break) and heading straight to Lake Louise.

Has anyone gone recently or might be currently there now? Would love to hear thoughts / opinions. We’ve likely got about a week or so’s time to cancel if it really comes down to it. Let me know your thoughts! (#1 concern is def safety.)

Thanks!!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2953 posts
1536 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Smoke comes and goes, as the fires may do.

Southern Alberta has been bathed in smoke all day but is supposed to clear up a bit tomorrow. I also saw a couple of photos from someone that kayaked Lake Louise yesterday and you could hardly see one side from the other due to the smoke. We've only had a couple of properly clear days in the last few weeks.

Smoke and air quality change day to day and hour to hour so who knows what it'll be like in a couple of weeks. The wet and cool weather may help significantly, it may not...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9959 posts
7884 upvotes
Kootenays
Lake Louise is likely getting snow tonight and tomorrow. It should melt quickly, though.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15227 posts
20496 upvotes
Vancouver
Highway 1 and 5 both closed because of fires. That left highway 3, a 2-lane twisty road, as the only road between the South Coast and the rest of Canada. Tourists were urged to cancel their holiday plans and leave the highway to essential commercial traffic, who will have a tough enough time as it is having to detour all the way down there.

Things of course will likely change between now and two weeks away. Keep monitoring the situation and be prepared to change your plans last minute.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9370 posts
6738 upvotes
Toronto
Andy34 wrote: Smoke comes and goes, as the fires may do.

Southern Alberta has been bathed in smoke all day but is supposed to clear up a bit tomorrow. I also saw a couple of photos from someone that kayaked Lake Louise yesterday and you could hardly see one side from the other due to the smoke. We've only had a couple of properly clear days in the last few weeks.

Smoke and air quality change day to day and hour to hour so who knows what it'll be like in a couple of weeks. The wet and cool weather may help significantly, it may not...
Man I was anxious when I saw this comment on Monday and saw the webcam footage myself. I flew in Tuesday when it rained and the smoked cleared up entirely for when I was in Banff and Lake Louise on Wed-Thursday. It really does depend on the weather and day and no matter how bad it is one day it could be the total opposite 1-2 days later. Had an amazing time and couldn't have been more lucky with the smoke and weather.
Images
  • PXL_20210819_010347524.jpg
[OP]
Nov 17, 2020
18 posts
13 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: Man I was anxious when I saw this comment on Monday and saw the webcam footage myself. I flew in Tuesday when it rained and the smoked cleared up entirely for when I was in Banff and Lake Louise on Wed-Thursday. It really does depend on the weather and day and no matter how bad it is one day it could be the total opposite 1-2 days later. Had an amazing time and couldn't have been more lucky with the smoke and weather.
Glad it worked out! Thanks for sharing. Dang, what a view! Hope we get a chance to see it as well!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9370 posts
6738 upvotes
Toronto
allthedeals001 wrote: Glad it worked out! Thanks for sharing. Dang, what a view! Hope we get a chance to see it as well!
For that particular view you have to follow the signs for "Fairview Lookout" which is a 1.2km there and back up the Mountain to the viewpoint. We hike fairly often but we're not super fit and are just in average shape so it was honestly a pretty difficult hike for us but sooo worth it for that view which is unreal in person. The Johnston Canyon hike to the upper falls is also awesome with free parking and entrance.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)