[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10293 posts
3473 upvotes

BC only - advice on learners permit and rental car

Hello

This is specific to British Columbia

I’m not familiar with ICBC I have a friend who’s practicing for his Drivers road test due to out of country license swap not being recognized here. He has years of driving experience but ICBC doesn’t recognize his country.

I have my full class 5 bc license and decades of driving experience.

We managed to rent once from a small player paying their insurance rented in the learners name and me I the passenger seat. The guy seemed new but he allowed it.

Today we went to two agencies and no matter how they sliced it they would not cover him (even if I rented and let him drive) and they seemed helpful so they’re probably correct.

This is not for the road test just practice but eventually we may need to rent for the road test (and may rely on a drivers school for that)

They said ICBC May sell a one day policy? I’m from Ontario so have zero experience with ICBC so any help is appreciated.

His credit card has no coverage but we are looking to perhaps switch him to one with it

Located downtown Vancouver
Autocorrect sucks
17 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4624 posts
4877 upvotes
GTA
Why not rent with the small player again? Do you suspect that your friend isn't actually covered under their insurance? Did you read all the fine-print?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10293 posts
3473 upvotes
derass wrote: Why not rent with the small player again? Do you suspect that your friend isn't actually covered under their insurance? Did you read all the fine-print?
The small player is boarded up. Other small player seemed quite positive they won’t cover learners. Hertz said absolute no go.

The guy working the desk at the small player said he was new. Quite possibly he was sold insurance that wouldn’t cover him in the event of a major accident. I read the fine print didn’t see any exclusion on learners but they. However if the worst happened the lawyers are going to figure out quickly if he’s covered.

Looking for advice on how to do this properly. The one rental said discuss with ICBC so looking for advice from someone who is a broker or more familiar with ICBC
Autocorrect sucks
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10293 posts
3473 upvotes
derass wrote: Why not rent with the small player again? Do you suspect that your friend isn't actually covered under their insurance? Did you read all the fine-print?
Also your profile says GTA why are you chiming in on BC insurance matters?
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4624 posts
4877 upvotes
GTA
What about hiring a driving instructor? As you know in Ontario, it's the norm for new drivers to learn with an instructor, and often use the instructor's car for the road test. There must be something in their insurance policy that allows it. It must be similar in BC.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10293 posts
3473 upvotes
derass wrote: What about hiring a driving instructor? As you know in Ontario, it's the norm for new drivers to learn with an instructor, and often use the instructor's car for the road test. There must be something in their insurance policy that allows it. It must be similar in BC.
Again more advice from Ontario. Answer is because we’re trying to save money. He’s driven for decades in the Middle East. This is more to get him accustomed to school zones and difference in signage and lane markings. With a private car we get 24 hours we’ll almost as learners can’t drive after midnight.

He will likely hire a driving instructor for the test.

If you don’t know about insurance can you please not post in this thread.

Bored gta’ers sticking their nose in everything. As usual.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4624 posts
4877 upvotes
GTA
GangStarr wrote: Also your profile says GTA why are you chiming in on BC insurance matters?
Because I lived in Vancouver, buddy. Good luck trying to get ICBC to insure a rental car.

That is if you can even find a rental company that's going to accept your friend's learner permit.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10293 posts
3473 upvotes
derass wrote: Because I lived in Vancouver, buddy. Good luck trying to get ICBC to insure a rental car.

That is if you can even find a rental company that's going to accept your friend's learner permit.
Ok sorry about that. We do have a rental company that will rent to a leaner they’d give him the car today but warned he wouldn’t be covered.

If in fact ICBC can’t do this. Then we will to the drivers training route.
Autocorrect sucks
Apr 27, 2009
313 posts
132 upvotes
West Vancouver
I had a quick look at avis and Hertz websites, and the state that individuals with learner's permits are not authorized to drive their rental vehicles. I suspect all major rental car companies have the same restrictions.
Apr 27, 2009
313 posts
132 upvotes
West Vancouver
ICBC does offer daily rental car insurance coverage. This can be purchased at any icbc insurance broker, the only restrictions identified on their website site is the the driver must be a bc resident, no indication about learner's permit.

Time to visit a broker to find out the costs and the pick up a "L" badge.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10293 posts
3473 upvotes
Randy6560 wrote: ICBC does offer daily rental car insurance coverage. This can be purchased at any icbc insurance broker, the only restrictions identified on their website site is the the driver must be a bc resident, no indication about learner's permit.

Thank you. Not sure why rfd these days likes to guess. The little guys will rent to him. I’ll call some random brokers on Monday.

In case anyone’s googling. Access rent a car is the one we rented from which is boarded up.

The ones willing to rent is pacific car rentals at Richards and Georgia. I’ve rented from them before nice people.

Thanks again Randy

Edit driver is BC resident.
Autocorrect sucks
Feb 17, 2007
102 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver
Randy6560 wrote: ICBC does offer daily rental car insurance coverage. This can be purchased at any icbc insurance broker, the only restrictions identified on their website site is the the driver must be a bc resident, no indication about learner's permit.

You are referring to if GangStarr buys a beater and insures it for a day right? If a rental car already has insurance, could you double insure it?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5934 posts
4379 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Any friends willing to lend a car? ICBC introduced a new cash grab called unlisted driver protection where you'll be covered even if you don't have insurance.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10293 posts
3473 upvotes
night_kid wrote: You are referring to if GangStarr buys a beater and insures it for a day right? If a rental car already has insurance, could you double insure it?
There is no intention to buy any vehicle or even rent for more than one day. This is strictly how to get a learner driving in a traditional rental car for 24 hours or less

I’ll contact a broker Monday and report back how this goes when we attempt to rent next weekend
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
2044 posts
1444 upvotes
Vancouver
I used these guys - https://www.gloda.ca - They gave me a 1 hour refresher lesson and gave me the learner car to use for the driving test. Omar was my instructor. Great guy

AFAIK most driving schools have a rental + lesson facility, for these tests
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Feb 17, 2021
1 posts
GangStarr wrote: There is no intention to buy any vehicle or even rent for more than one day. This is strictly how to get a learner driving in a traditional rental car for 24 hours or less

I’ll contact a broker Monday and report back how this goes when we attempt to rent next weekend
Hi! Did you find a solution on how to go about it? I'm in a similar situation as your friend, and I'd like to practice before my actual road test.
Thanks!

I'm kind of in a similar position as your friend. I just
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10293 posts
3473 upvotes
charielle wrote: Hi! Did you find a solution on how to go about it? I'm in a similar situation as your friend, and I'd like to practice before my actual road test.
Thanks!

I'm kind of in a similar position as your friend. I just
He gave up
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8338 posts
4054 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Driving instructor with car
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)